Download a web directory using wget

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I assume you want to wget it on a Linux machine (since Windows doesn't have wget)? Anyways, you could simply zip your root directory and wget the zip file, and unzip it on Linux.

flyest

Doctor
Mar 3, 2013
I assume you want to wget it on a Linux machine (since Windows doesn't have wget)? Anyways, you could simply zip your root directory and wget the zip file, and unzip it on Linux.

If the directory were mine I wouldn't have to worry about wgetting it. I could just copy/paste the folder or upload it somewhere.

flyest

Doctor
Mar 3, 2013
What exactly are you trying to wget then? Are you asking if you can simply wget any public web directory (with or without an index file)? If so, obviously no.
I am trying to obtain some configuration files. I have no idea where they're located and if I did I wouldn't be able to bypass them through my browser (403). I thought that if there was a way I could download them first, then I'd be able to see them.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I am trying to obtain some configuration files. I have no idea where they're located and if I did I wouldn't be able to bypass them in my browser (403). I thought that if there was a way I could download them first, then I'd be able to see them.
Are you trying to wget someone else's config file on a remote server?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Just want to know if it works and how. Educational purposes ofc. oh, the irony!
For starters, 403 means access forbidden (you can't get around that, unless specifically granted access). Also, config files are generally not stored in plain text for the whole world to access (because you know, it stores very confidential information), so even if you could access the file, the server would not output the contents of said file, regardless of what way you access it (as a client).

Users who are viewing this thread