Do you think AI can make developers obsolete?

Wicked

Nov 21, 2023
Hey,
I know this has been mentioned a lot these past few months, well, ever since LLMs reached this level of popularity. I've started using ChatGPT daily, completely replacing the need for Google search, at least for work-based questions. However, I was never really satisfied with the code output or problem-solving skills that Bard or ChatGPT could produce. But I had an idea to see if I could train it for my needs. So, what I did was create a list of components I would need for creating UI library elements like buttons, accordions, dialogs, etc. I would then create a Figma prototype, screenshot it, upload it to Bard, and see if it could match the UI pieces to what I have listed in my component UI library. And it easily did that, even generating code. Keep in mind that was all prompt based. What are your experiences with ai tools?

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
Current AI is useful if you're knowledgeable, otherwise it'll trip you up because it hallucinates all the time and makes up scenarios.

Coding is a great example of where it'll begin to make up libraries that don't exist or built in functions that aren't real.

The start of AGI has been achieved which would enable AI to start being more useful, but it won't remove the need for developers. Development will just transition from writing code to writing instructions for AI,

Wicked

Nov 21, 2023
Current AI is useful if you're knowledgeable, otherwise it'll trip you up because it hallucinates all the time and makes up scenarios.

Coding is a great example of where it'll begin to make up libraries that don't exist or built in functions that aren't real.

The start of AGI has been achieved which would enable AI to start being more useful, but it won't remove the need for developers. Development will just transition from writing code to writing instructions for AI,
What do you mean by start of?

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
What do you mean by start of?
AGI is a more intelligent form of AI that can learn in a way more similar to humans. Most iterations of AI are fairly narrow and closer to machine learning or pattern recognition.

OpenAI recently hit the most basic form of AGI by developing a model that is capable of teaching itself basic math. It still isn't immediately useful as the costs of running it is very high, but with Microsoft funding the hardware it'll definitely take off soon.

Wicked

Nov 21, 2023
AGI is a more intelligent form of AI that can learn in a way more similar to humans. Most iterations of AI are fairly narrow and closer to machine learning or pattern recognition.

OpenAI recently hit the most basic form of AGI by developing a model that is capable of teaching itself basic math. It still isn't immediately useful as the costs of running it is very high, but with Microsoft funding the hardware it'll definitely take off soon.
If that's the case im really impressed, wasn't there talk we're 20 years behind AGI?

Users who are viewing this thread