DevBest -> ReverseBox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days, and I thought I'd get your opinions.

Basically, I want to rename DevBest to Reverse Box - I have a few reasons behind this. The main one being that the name "Reverse Box" isn't very specific, whereas DevBest is specifically related to development. I'd also like the forums to be more focused on general topics like gaming and technology, as oppose to development, and more specifically (MMO)RPG developments.

If we were to change from "devbest.com" to "reversebox.com", the home would be a WordPress site, with a bunch of news related to gaming, technology, sexy girls, interesting videos, etc. If anyone remembers LulzFeed, basically that. The forums would reside at "forums.reversebox.com", and would be basically the same as they are now, with maybe more gaming sections, a revamped technology section, and less focus on things like Habbo.

Anyways, these are just thoughts and I'd like to hear your opinions.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
To be honest, I don't like the idea. You actually would start to be something of a RZ copy. I like the idea of moving to other general topics (like suggested before with GamersBug), but you would lose the originality of DevBest. Maybe if you connect both in a way with eachother, but putting it as a subforum would really be a shame.

So I like the idea - apart from the subdomain stuff.

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
I really like this idea, it will bring us more members and also would give joy to many of current & future members.

Tough i do agree with on his opinion.

I like it and i agree!

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
To be honest, I don't like the idea. You actually would start to be something of a RZ copy. I like the idea of moving to other general topics (like suggested before with GamersBug), but you would lose the originality of DevBest. Maybe if you connect both in a way with eachother, but putting it as a subforum would really be a shame.

How is this like RZ? I haven't used it in years, so I wouldn't know. What is so unappealing about a subdomain? It's the same exact forums, but instead the main domain is focused on real content, and those who want to be a part of the community can join and socialize.

Zymf

Aug 19, 2012
I don't like the idea.
DevBest is unique and popular for it's name and community, changing the name and domain could destroy this.

IMO DevBest should remain how it is. Obviously a few little changes wouldn't do much damage but as big as changing the name, domain and site, this would effect on you massively.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I don't like the idea.
DevBest is unique and popular for it's name and community, changing the name and domain could destroy this.

IMO DevBest should remain how it is. Obviously a few little changes wouldn't do much damage but as big as changing the name, domain and site, this would effect on you massively.
How does changing the name ruin the community? It's the same forum, just a different domain with more content.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
How is this like RZ? I haven't used it in years, so I wouldn't know. What is so unappealing about a subdomain? It's the same exact forums, but instead the main domain is focused on real content, and those who want to be a part of the community can join and socialize.

However I sort of agree with this, it is exactly the same as RZ. Their main page is focussed on what you want to do now (however theirs limited to gaming only). Also, who do you want to post those news articles? There aren't really much people here who want to go in-depth on a game or something else (or are capable to do it).

A good alternative to start with is when you bring the gaming etc. to a next level, there is a possibility there will be more threads like that, which you or a Super Moderator can show on what we currently have on the homepage. And then, if there is a sign of improvement of good threads, you can do what you want, but in my opinion the community isn't ready to make such of a big switch.

iRekan

XboxOneFTW!
Nov 8, 2011
The idea is perfect, however, it would be better if we add more (MMO)RPG games!

NSA

sudo apt-get thefuckout.tar.gz
Dec 9, 2011
As long as the forums are still around, this sounds like a great idea.
Would you redirect devbest.com to the forums of ReverseBox or to the main page?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
I love this idea and this will a decent step forward. It'll broaden the target audience in which devbest is currently aimed at (Like what has already been said)

Sometimes change is good, and I think this'll be a change for the greater good. Will there reporter applications open?

Beast

Posting Freak
Sep 15, 2011
Horrible idea, leave it how it is... What are you going to want to rename DevBest to next..? (Gamersbug, ReverseBox) We are fine the way we are and I think mocking rz with the "News feed" isn't great as even on rz it is not even effective. Anyways all in all if you want you can make ReverseBox a news feed site and make it get a rss feed on here or give it a separate forum, such as a DevBest product.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010

Its funny because when Josh was talking about this in the Skype group I said the same, but what you got to remember is that there is millions of websites out there that actually do this.

I think it'd be great for us to display content on the main homepage and have a new name that actually stands out for many things rather than just development and private server development.

However this will only work if content is actually added their regularly and the main homepage is updated and maintained which is something that Josh needs to put thought into.

Now for the sub-domain idea I really do not see nothing wrong with this? Some users may want to only read the content provided on the homepage whereas others may feel they want to 'connect' with the community and socialize in the forums.

In my opinion it is a great idea and something we should do rather than keep the forums how they're now with sections that the administrator doesn't like. (Habbo Hotel).

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
However I sort of agree with this, it is exactly the same as RZ. Their main page is focussed on what you want to do now (however theirs limited to gaming only).
I still don't understand why RZ has any relation to this thread? I don't even want the two forums to be similar or thought of in the same context.

Also, who do you want to post those news articles? There aren't really much people here who want to go in-depth on a game or something else (or are capable to do it).

I can write articles, I don't mind doing them. I enjoyed it when LulzFeed was around, and I'd do it again. I'd also let those who want to bother with making such articles a try, and see how it goes. Although I'm very picky in terms of how the content is written, and it would have to be very well written.

A good alternative to start with is when you bring the gaming etc. to a next level, there is a possibility there will be more threads like that, which you or a Super Moderator can show on what we currently have on the homepage. And then, if there is a sign of improvement of good threads, you can do what you want, but in my opinion the community isn't ready to make such of a big switch.

I don't like the home page, it's just one stream of threads - not very organized for quality content.

iRekan

XboxOneFTW!
Nov 8, 2011
Horrible idea, leave it how it is... What are you going to want to rename DevBest to next..? (Gamersbug, ReverseBox) We are fine the way that it is and I think mocking rz with the "News feed" isn't great as even on rz it does not work. Anyways all in all if you want you can make ReverseBox a news feed site and make it get a rss feed on here or give it a separate forum, such as a DevBest product.
I agree with the last bit, ReverseBox doesn't seem like a professional forum whereas DevBest does.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
As long as the forums are still around, this sounds like a great idea.
Would you redirect devbest.com to the forums of ReverseBox or to the main page?
Everything would be redirected to the forums on ReverseBox. For example, if you clicked a link on Google for a specific thread, it'd redirect you to the one on ReverseBox.
I agree with the last bit, ReverseBox doesn't seem like a professional forum whereas DevBest does.
How doesn't it seem "professional"?

It's a name, just like DevBest is - it's the content that makes something professional or not. The original idea behind the name of "Reverse Box" is to think outside the box, which I think is pretty good if I don't say so myself.

Reactions: NSA

Beast

Posting Freak
Sep 15, 2011
Everything would be redirected to the forums on ReverseBox. For example, if you clicked a link on Google for a specific thread, it'd redirect you to the one on ReverseBox.

It's a name, just like DevBest is - it's the content that makes something professional or not.

I feel as if ReverseBox has no meaning behind it..

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I still don't understand why RZ has any relation to this thread? I don't even want the two forums to be similar or thought of in the same context.

I can write articles, I don't mind doing them. I enjoyed it when LulzFeed was around, and I'd do it again. I'd also let those who want to bother with making such articles a try, and see how it goes. Although I'm very picky in terms of how the content is written, and it would have to be very well written.

I don't like the home page, it's just one stream of threads - not very organized for quality content.

I got to agree with you on this. Maybe you can make a submission section like what was used for the Moderator Applications, and actually good threads to be posted.

iRekan

XboxOneFTW!
Nov 8, 2011

It's a name, just like DevBest is - it's the content that makes something professional or not.
The name DevBest to me means Development from the best people,
ReserveBox seems like a new news channel, nothing like a (MMO)RPG forum.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010

But DevBest focuses on development and private server development, Josh wants the forums to expand. And I bet not only Josh wants this to happen, so do I and nearly all of the staff.

GamersBug was the original concept of this which would focus on gaming and whatnot and slowly push down Habbo but this idea beats it (if you ask me). Providing content (even gaming content) on the homepage and changing the forums into I guess more of a general discussion/gaming forum board.

iRekan

XboxOneFTW!
Nov 8, 2011
But DevBest focuses on development and private server development, Josh wants the forums to expand. And I bet not only Josh wants this to happen, so do I and nearly all of the staff.

GamersBug was the original concept of this which would focus on gaming and whatnot and slowly push down Habbo but this idea beats it (if you ask me). Providing content (even gaming content) on the homepage and changing the forums into I guess more of a general discussion/gaming forum board.
Gamersbug seems ok, whereas ReserveBox is a name that to me has no potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread