[Dev] RevCMS Layout Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSA

sudo apt-get thefuckout.tar.gz
Dec 9, 2011
Hey guys!

Every time I start up a new hotel I have to go through the CSS files etc... and edit it to how I want it.

I am developing a "plugin" which will do the following:

If you're rank 10, you can drag elements (like the Featured Campaigns box) around the page and re-position them.
You will be able to add new boxes to the page, add new pages, change text size, color and lots more!

It will save having to go into the CSS files -- well... it will save even knowing much about CSS at all!

Thanks for reading!

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
Fantastic idea but i don't think you've thought this through at all.

If someone was to hack your hotel and rank themself to 10 then your hotel is completely and utterly fucked, no questions asked.
Will it be compatible with all themes? and how in the world would you make it so you dont need barely any CSS knowledge? What if you want 1 box to have smaller content padding or a different header color? Will there be areas on the page that are fixed and don't have the ability to be altered or will it be just fully adjustable.

Thinking about all that is it truly as practical as it sounds? If this ever did get finished all you'd be able to do is create a box and add some font in it which would prob take less time to do it manually than it would to install a plugin and do it your way.

And on-top of that you don't need any CSS knowledge in the first place to edit content

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Fantastic idea but i don't think you've thought this through at all.

If someone was to hack your hotel and rank themself to 10 then your hotel is completely and utterly fucked, no questions asked.
Will it be compatible with all themes? and how in the world would you make it so you dont need barely any CSS knowledge? What if you want 1 box to have smaller content padding or a different header color? Will there be areas on the page that are fixed and don't have the ability to be altered or will it be just fully adjustable.

Thinking about all that is it truly as practical as it sounds? If this ever did get finished all you'd be able to do is create a box and add some font in it which would prob take less time to do it manually than it would to install a plugin and do it your way.

And on-top of that you don't need any CSS knowledge in the first place to edit content
When someone hacks your hotel and makes himself the top rank, you are fucked anyway. And some people actually find it hard to edit stuff like that, so I don't see your point at all.

What you could do, is add an extra security code like Kryptos is doing in RevCMS 3.0 when executing the shutdown MUS command.

Dann

ohi
Jan 26, 2013
Sounds good. Good luck though. It isn't hard to do this in the first place but I guess for others it may be. Once again, good luck with this, would love to see this completed.

P.S. if someone hacks your hotel and makes themselves top rank, I don't think they'd be worrying about messing up the boxes, ect, they'd prefer to just ruin everything in the database.

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
When someone hacks your hotel and makes himself the top rank, you are fucked anyway. And some people actually find it hard to edit stuff like that, so I don't see your point at all.

What you could do, is add an extra security code like Kryptos is doing in RevCMS 3.0 when executing the shutdown MUS command.

My point is, when you get hacked and someone makes themself owner all they can do to your theme is post a few news articles but with the additional ability for people to be able to completely edit the theme if they are at owner rank proposes the threat of all your content being deleted by the push of a couple of buttons?

And Dann, fucking up a database it recoverable, whole theme being deleted isnt.

bulletproof

Jan 26, 2012
My point is, when you get hacked and someone makes themself owner all they can do to your theme is post a few news articles but with the additional ability for people to be able to completely edit the theme if they are at owner rank proposes the threat of all your content being deleted by the push of a couple of buttons?
then you put a password on the layout manager pages?

Dann

ohi
Jan 26, 2013

And Dann, fucking up a database it recoverable, whole theme being deleted isnt.
But if anyone had any common sense they would back up the cms whenever they add/majorly edit things, just in case of things happening. I understand your point but I'm just saying them moving a few boxes around and deleting some pages isn't the biggest of a hotels worry whilst they're being hacked/taken over.
Anyways, I agree with Holmes, maybe he could build in advanced security where there are 1/2 pin codes (which you fill in the configuration file) or maybe you could just make it possible from one username (another thing you could edit via configuration file).

I think it would be hard to get this done, how long do you think this project will take you?

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
Dann, If anyone had any common sense they'd back up the database every other day so if you had the choice of attacking someones database to send them back a few days or deleting someones layout and send them back a few weeks (none will back up their CMS every time they edit one thing) idk about you but layout seems like the obvious option.

All im saying is unless theres more security to it than just having to be owner rank this whole dev should be scrapped, it proposes larger security flaws

And don't forget that to be able to fuck up someones database, they have to be exploitable. All anyone on this has to do is get a mate that's staff to rank you all owner or shitty permissions and some noob ranking himself to owner and doing it himself.

NSA

Dec 9, 2011
Shouldn't take too long.
I have it working a little already, I just need to figure out a few CSS problems.

See, the content is move-able, the position is saved and then called to CSS but the changes aren't displayed on the actual page, yet the adjustments are see-able in the file itsself.

, the adjustments aren't made to the files themselves, the position of the elements is changed through the database. Then called to a PHP file acting as a CSS file and displays the user-defined position.

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
Shouldn't take too long.
I have it working a little already, I just need to figure out a few CSS problems.

See, the content is move-able, the position is saved and then called to CSS but the changes aren't displayed on the actual page, yet the adjustments are see-able in the file itsself.

, the adjustments aren't made to the files themselves, the position of the elements is changed through the database. Then called to a PHP file acting as a CSS file and displays the user-defined position.

Good to know but im curious as to know what your gonna do to bypass this security flaw ive been on about.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Shouldn't take too long.

If you have cloudflare enabled on your server, the css changes can take a while to update. It may be the problem.

NSA

Dec 9, 2011
My script for this is as secure as your CMS its-self.
If your CMS isn't secure, then neither will this script.

You should think about backing up your database a lot if you're scared

I will still look into making it as secure as possible, I might put a two stage login to it.

Noman

lol
Jul 17, 2011
If you have cloudflare enabled on your server, the css changes can take a while to update. It may be the problem.

Yeah, you'll have to place cloudflare in development mode for the CSS, Javascripts etc to update automatically and instantly without it being cached.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
Re code some of Rev to make the theme(s) retrieve their content from a database. Than coding the whatever will be easier and simpler because it just modifies the database shit and you could add an cron job to back it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread