Dating Application Design

YOGI420

Aug 13, 2019
So I am currently in my last year of university for computer games development and my final year project is to create a dating application. This is the first simple design I came up with. I am currently writing the documentation for it and I have started to implement it. What are your thoughts on the design so far? Eventually it will also have a light theme.

Don't want to spam the thread with a lot of images so here is the link to the whole design.

You must be registered for see images attach

Damien

Don't need glasses if you can C#
Feb 26, 2012
Honestly, for a dating website this is incredibly dull and boring.

The website should be exciting, nice vibrant colours and images. You should also try experiment with more shapes in your design to make it fun. Everything at the moment is very flat and modular.

Don't get me wrong though the website is nice it's just feels like it's targeting the wrong audience.

YOGI420

Aug 13, 2019
Honestly, for a dating website this is incredibly dull and boring.

The website should be exciting, nice vibrant colours and images. You should also try experiment with more shapes in your design to make it fun. Everything at the moment is very flat and modular.

Don't get me wrong though the website is nice it's just feels like it's targeting the wrong audience.
Nah yeah I get that, I will definitely have two different themes when it comes to it. I will consider the things you have mentioned, later on when I start implementing the design of the website. At the moment I am just concentrating on the programming and the report.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
The gaming vibe you were going for is spot on. The downside is, it looks like a Call of Duty Leaderboard and doesn't have any erotic feeling to it - dating sites are led by the women first and men second so account for that above anything else.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
The idea looks good, but the lack of images and the dark vibe give it this erotic dating site feeling or something. If that's the intention, you're on point. But if this is more for actual dating, it might be a bit off the mark. It's a good start, keep on going!

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Like the others have said, I think it's too dark and stuff.
Looks like a great design for a gta fivem server but not a dating site.

I have some suggestions.

1.) Know your competition, consider some inspiration.
Think of Hindge, bumble, tinder. What makes them attractive? What is their strengths? What do people hate about them? (there's quite a bit to dislike from what I heard) Take the good, throw out the rest and utilize your own ideas

2.) Use a lighter color pallet
Dating apps need a bright impression upon the user. The color pallet should be inviting and encouraging.
They're there to meet new people, possible a future wife or husband, or soulmate, make it feel that way :)

3.) Design for mobile FIRST, desktop second (true responsive design)
We live in an era where there's more mobile users using dating apps over the desktop variant. Use that to your advantage, designing for mobile first can make your complete design more easier to build and responsive to varying viewports.

KISS - Keep it stupid simple

W4rr1ngAce

Jan 1, 2024
wait, ur last year of uni in cs and this is what you came up with? i mean if it was ur first year or 6 months sure, but 3 years and this is it?` To me it looks like food menu. What im saying, is that it seems that you have the skills and there is plenty of room for improvment. If you were in ur first year i would say " good job man this is really good" but 3th year i gotto be honest. Its only my personal openion that dose not matter for shit, but im pretty sure you can do better! :D

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
wait, ur last year of uni in cs and this is what you came up with? i mean if it was ur first year or 6 months sure, but 3 years and this is it?` To me it looks like food menu. What im saying, is that it seems that you have the skills and there is plenty of room for improvment. If you were in ur first year i would say " good job man this is really good" but 3th year i gotto be honest. Its only my personal openion that dose not matter for shit, but im pretty sure you can do better! :D
College doesn't teach hands on skills or how to apply anything you learn, it only teaches you "how to learn" and the absolute basics to get started. It's an absolute scam tbh

W4rr1ngAce

Jan 1, 2024
College doesn't teach hands on skills or how to apply anything you learn, it only teaches you "how to learn" and the absolute basics to get started. It's an absolute scam tbh
i strongly dissagree with you, it is not a abslute scam, id like to see you go to a self though Doctor ^^

YOGI420

Aug 13, 2019

I appreciate your feedback on my final year project. It's important to note that I had to choose a project from a predetermined list, limiting the available options. The current iteration represents the initial UI design of the application, and it's part of an ongoing process. As the project evolves, it will undergo significant changes and incorporate complex features, showcasing a deeper level of development and problem-solving.

In addition, I want to emphasize that I am concurrently working on other assignments for different modules, making it a challenging but rewarding endeavor. The comprehensive 14k-word document accompanying the project will provide further insight into the background research and the overall process involved. Your insights are valuable, and I'm dedicated to refining and enhancing the project as it progresses through its development stages.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah I agree with you; there have been instances where some of my modules seemed to provide little substantial learning. Notably, the primary module focused on games development fell short in imparting even the fundamental basics, necessitating a self-directed learning approach. This experience has left me with mixed feelings, as it feels like three years might not have been optimally utilized. Nevertheless, amidst the challenges, I've managed to gain new insights. Interestingly, this period has clarified my career aspirations, and I now have a clearer inclination toward pursuing software development rather than game development.

Last edited:

cammy

May 15, 2014
I'm late to the party but I like this concept.

Just take a look at some other websites for inspiration. Majority of dating websites have a hero which asks what sex you are looking to date, what sex you are, and so on. Maybe a cool gamer spin on this would be having a joystick selector instead of boring buttons.

I'd love to see an update or the final result, hope it all goes well!

abso_lado

Feb 19, 2024
I appreciate your feedback on my final year project. It's important to note that I had to choose a project from a predetermined list, limiting the available options. The current iteration represents the initial UI design of the application, and it's part of an ongoing process. As the project evolves, it will undergo significant changes and incorporate complex features, showcasing a deeper level of development and problem-solving.

In addition, I want to emphasize that I am concurrently working on other assignments for different modules, making it a challenging but rewarding endeavor. The comprehensive 14k-word document accompanying the project will provide further insight into the background research and the overall process involved. Your insights are valuable, and I'm dedicated to refining and enhancing the project as it progresses through its development stages.

Yeah I agree with you; there have been instances where some of my modules seemed to provide little substantial learning. Notably, the primary module focused on games development fell short in imparting even the fundamental basics, necessitating a self-directed learning approach. This experience has left me with mixed feelings, as it feels like three years might not have been optimally utilized. Nevertheless, amidst the challenges, I've managed to gain new insights. Interestingly, this period has clarified my career aspirations, and I now have a clearer inclination toward pursuing software development rather than game development.
Why is everyone writing these answers with ChatGPT? It's more cringe than serious in any way... Also, this is the best example why developers shouldn't code websites on their own, there're specialized UI designers to make this work.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Also, this is the best example why developers shouldn't code websites on their own, there're specialized UI designers to make this work.
I disagree with that statement.

One should learn that everything is rectangles and always has been, always will be.
Because ONE DAY, that specialized ui designer will glitch or not understand a context, and you will 100% have to get your hands dirty with some code.

With flex, display, position, you unlock all you need to structure a ui. The rest is cake
Give me a picture of anything and I can replicate it in css and html with responsive functionality, coding it yourself is true freedom with nothing slowing you down

lwgbtajgn20b1.jpg

YOGI420

Aug 13, 2019
Why is everyone writing these answers with ChatGPT? It's more cringe than serious in any way... Also, this is the best example why developers shouldn't code websites on their own, there're specialized UI designers to make this work.
Well it's not like I just went to ChatGPT and said respond to this, I wrote what I wanted to say however I am bad at expressing exactly what I mean in writing. So I used it to modify it to make it better for the person reading it. Plus it's a great tool that is available to use, don't see anything wrong with that. Also I think people are forgetting this is a very rough design which took me about 15 minutes max.

I disagree with that statement.

One should learn that everything is rectangles and always has been, always will be.
Because ONE DAY, that specialized ui designer will glitch or not understand a context, and you will 100% have to get your hands dirty with some code.

With flex, display, position, you unlock all you need to structure a ui. The rest is cake
Give me a picture of anything and I can replicate it in css and html with responsive functionality, coding it yourself is true freedom with nothing slowing you down

lwgbtajgn20b1.jpg
I fully agree with you, that's how I learned html and css. Trying to replicate existing websites and designs. It's a skill that's comes in very handy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread