Corrupted C: Drive

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Hey,

Well, I have fucked up my C: drive. Basically, on start up my computer says that I have an Error within my C: Drive, and that I need to recover my computer to a previous time in my Control Panel.
I tried to use Windows Recovery, but it fails and says the C: drive is unavailable. I tried to back up everything on my PC to a disk, and a USB, but it says the C: drive can't be found.
But, this part confuses me; I can still download programs, and they still install on my C: drive properly.
And even worse, the way my PC tells me to fix it, fails.
What can I do? Right now I am clueless. :confused:

P.S. I have searched all over Google, and they all say the same thing as my PC says, which fails.

Thanks,
Supa.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
If your C: drive is corrupted then is correct, you need to get your hard drive re-formatted. However, if the problem was there are Windows files that are messed around, then you can just re-install without having to re-format your drive. This will copy all your current C:\ files to C:\Windows.old, but your programs would need to be re-installed using the installer you used.

If you still have the installer, your license key (for your paid programs), etc. then it'll be great if you would back them up on a USB or external HD then reinstall/re-format your C:\ drive then install Windows.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
So far I can just do all the stuff I used to be able to, except I can't Back up my stuff..
If I just leave it will it harm my PC?

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
So far I can just do all the stuff I used to be able to, except I can't Back up my stuff..
If I just leave it will it harm my PC?
If you can post a screenshot on how the message that your C: is corrupted then we can see if it's a rogue or not... it never happened to me.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
If you can post a screenshot on how the message that your C: is corrupted then we can see if it's a rogue or not... it never happened to me.
No screenshot needed, I can do EVERYTHING as normal, but when I try to backup my files onto disk, it says "Backup Failed: Unable to reach files from corrupted Drive "C:" " So yeah, and on start up it checks disks and all I gotta do is press "Enter" to go to Windows.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Okay, then this is nothing 'lethal' ... all you need to do is.
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator (right-click Command Prompt > Run as Administrator)
2. Type chkdsk on the cmd window, and let it finish it.

You should not skip check disks, they scan your system files and see if any is corrupted. That's is the purpose of check disk, to fix what is messed (by a program or a script/virus).

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Currently Scanning:
24fk8pw.png

EDIT: Scan finished, no problems found!
Thanks Vineen! :)

Thread can be closed now.

Users who are viewing this thread