Corrupted C: Drive

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Hey,

Well, I have fucked up my C: drive. Basically, on start up my computer says that I have an Error within my C: Drive, and that I need to recover my computer to a previous time in my Control Panel.
I tried to use Windows Recovery, but it fails and says the C: drive is unavailable. I tried to back up everything on my PC to a disk, and a USB, but it says the C: drive can't be found.
But, this part confuses me; I can still download programs, and they still install on my C: drive properly.
And even worse, the way my PC tells me to fix it, fails.
What can I do? Right now I am clueless. :confused:

P.S. I have searched all over Google, and they all say the same thing as my PC says, which fails.

Thanks,
Supa.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Back-up all your data and reinstall your PC. Works fine for me, and it also cleans your PC from a load of shit.
Like I said, it wont let me back up anything.
I already thought of backing up every program that cost me money and every important file.. and just buying Windows 8 and installing it all on there, but it won't let me back up anything.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Like I said, it wont let me back up anything.
I already thought of backing up every program that cost me money and every important file.. and just buying Windows 8 and installing it all on there, but it won't let me back up anything.
Just a tip when you reinstall your PC: add a D: drive to store all your important data.

However, search for SpinRite

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Extend it...?
Wait, so let me get this straight, I should just make my recovery partition bigger (say 80-100GB) then back up all my important programs in there, then when I re-install windows it will just override my current windows and leave the recovery partition completely alone..?

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
I'm sure that if you re-install windows once installed if you go to your C:\ drive there will be a folder called like 'Windows Old' and will have all your shit.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Uhrm, yes.

I always re-install windows and never backup my shit because it always creates a folder called Windows Old with my other stuff, with every single laptop/pc I've had.

Might just be me though...
He has a corrupted drive, so he needs to format it. When you reinstall it without formatting, you get a map called Windows.old, yes.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Hold up, I think I just read (if I am reading it right) that if I upgrade to Windows 8 via the online installer from the Microsoft Website, it automatically copies all my program files (and any other files in that case) and automatically puts them on Windows 8... Now I just need $40 lolol.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Hold up, I think I just read (if I am reading it right) that if I upgrade to Windows 8 via the online installer from the Microsoft Website, it automatically copies all my program files (and any other files in that case) and automatically puts them on Windows 8... Now I just need $40 lolol.

Something like that, if I'm right, it doesn't copy your installed programs. However if your C: Drive is corrupted, I would recommend you to format your drive. Otherwise only a reinstall would be useless.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Something like that, if I'm right, it doesn't copy your installed programs. However if your C: Drive is corrupted, I would recommend you to format your drive. Otherwise only a reinstall would be useless.
Is there a way I could copy all my files and programs from my PC, put them all on a USB or Disk, then just delete my complete EVERYTHING off my computer (So as in it won't boot or anything) than boot a new OS with a disk, so I have a brand new everything.. will that fix my problem?

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
Wait, I just rebooted my computer and it is now saying that a recent software package has corrupted the C: Drive.. Does that mean that if I uninstall all the recent programs I deleted, my C: drive will no longer be corrupted?

Damon

Aug 13, 2012
Hey,

Well, I have fucked up my C: drive. Basically, on start up my computer says that I have an Error within my C: Drive, and that I need to recover my computer to a previous time in my Control Panel.
I tried to use Windows Recovery, but it fails and says the C: drive is unavailable. I tried to back up everything on my PC to a disk, and a USB, but it says the C: drive can't be found.
But, this part confuses me; I can still download programs, and they still install on my C: drive properly.
And even worse, the way my PC tells me to fix it, fails.
What can I do? Right now I am clueless. :confused:

P.S. I have searched all over Google, and they all say the same thing as my PC says, which fails.

Thanks,
Supa.

I had a similar issue on my laptop..
It came up alot but nothing was wrong with it. I could do everything with it still.

Although few weeks later.. was logging in and domain issue.. ;/
I brang it to a tech expert and they told me that they tried to re-image [format] it, but they got a harddrive corruption so the HD was corrupted.
:/

From what I noticed it woulda kept working if it didnt need a format.

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
I had a similar issue on my laptop..
It came up alot but nothing was wrong with it. I could do everything with it still.

Although few weeks later.. was logging in and domain issue.. ;/
I brang it to a tech expert and they told me that they tried to re-image [format] it, but they got a harddrive corruption so the HD was corrupted.
:/

From what I noticed it woulda kept working if it didnt need a format.
Was your computer an Acer Aspire?

Users who are viewing this thread