Apple iPhone 5 - Charging loop

Zymf

Aug 19, 2012
My iPhone 5 has been working as normal all day, until earlier. I picked it up to go on it or whatever I did (I can't remember) and it died instantly. I put it on charge and it shown the black screen with the flat battery icon as normal, then progressed to the apple logo, as normal, but then went back to the flat battery icon... then to the Apple logo.... then the flat battery icon... etc.

This doesn't happen when my phone isn't on charge though, presumably because its still somehow dead.
I've tried leaving it on charge for an hour or so to see if it consumes any power but it just keeps on doing the flat battery -> apple logo loop.

• I can't access iTunes on my laptop, idk why.
  • I can't access DFU mode because, like I said, my phones in a loop and practically inaccessible
  • I can't access recovery mode because, " "

help.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
Sorry if this doesn't make sense because I typed this while eating Chipotle... so yeah. If you have any more questions, just ask.

I had this exact issue, and it was due to water damage. I was able to get a free refund from Apple because my phone was jailbroken and I tried to restore it. When you try to restore a jailbroken device, it ends up in a never-ending bootloop. Because it was in a bootloop, they couldn't run the diagnostic test. The sensors that detect water damage on my phone were not triggered, so they replaced my device for free.

I'd just say to bring it into the Apple store and tell them you have no idea what's wrong with it. Let them run their tests, and you should be able to get a free replacement if you've owned your device for less than a year.

Last edited:

Zymf

Aug 19, 2012
Sorry if this doesn't make sense because I typed this while eating Chipotle... so yeah. If you have any more questions, just ask.

I had this exact issue, and it was due to water damage. I was able to get a free refund from Apple because my phone was jailbroken and I tried to restore it. When you try to restore a jailbroken device, it ends up in a never-ending bootloop. Because it was in a bootloop, they couldn't run the diagnostic test. The sensors that detect water damage on my phone were not triggered, so they replaced my device for free.

I'd just say to bring it into the Apple store and tell them you have no idea what's wrong with it. Let them run their tests, and you should be able to get a free replacement if you've owned your device for less than a year.
I bought the phone from a friend though so I think Apple would most likely just tell me to suck a fat one.
It's definitely not water damaged, I don't have any idea what the problem is - it was working fine earlier.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
I bought the phone from a friend though so I think Apple would most likely just tell me to suck a fat one.
It's definitely not water damaged, I don't have any idea what the problem is - it was working fine earlier.
Are you by any chance using a third party charger? If not, have you tried using another lightning cable?

Zymf

Aug 19, 2012
Are you by any chance using a third party charger? If not, have you tried using another lightning cable?
I've got about 5 chargers, including third party and official ones.
The only one that seemed to actually allow the phone to do the loop was a third party one.

I ordered two new chargers yesterday (one wall docking charger & one lightning cable)
I don't think they'll work any magic but it's worth a try

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
I've got about 5 chargers, including third party and official ones.
The only one that seemed to actually allow the phone to do the loop was a third party one.

I ordered two new chargers yesterday (one wall docking charger & one lightning cable)
I don't think they'll work any magic but it's worth a try
I'd just say to bring it to Apple. Worst case scenario is that you get a replacement for $249 (I think it may be less)

Zymf

Aug 19, 2012
I'd just say to bring it to Apple. Worst case scenario is that you get a replacement for $249 (I think it may be less)
My new lightning charger was delivered today but even with that it's just a repeat of the loop.
I'm going to take it to a phone shop tomorrow and get a battery replacement for £30. Hopefully that'll fix it...

Maybe if I had £250 the replacement would be an idea :lol:
Thanks a lot :up:

Users who are viewing this thread