Any good starting point for new retro?

habbouser

Nov 15, 2020
Hi Guys,

In the past I've had an retro for some years. Now some years later I want to start a complete new retro.

Now I see a lot of new emulators: Plus emulator, Comet emulator, fresh emulator (and more). Which one is the most used/supported these days?

Is there any good starting point with a full up to date catalogus etc? Most downloads don't contain the latest updates. So you need to add a lot of stuff mannually.

Thanks for the replies :)

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018
personal preference, everyone uses arcturus because it's noob friendly and everything is done for you but i prefer plus
arcturus is noob friendly because it has a community for help if you need it, unlike plus it also offers a plugin system meaning you can have a custom hotel without needing a modified emulator

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
arcturus is noob friendly because it has a community for help if you need it, unlike plus it also offers a plugin system meaning you can have a custom hotel without needing a modified emulator
ok wasn't starting was just saying lol
Post automatically merged:

Why do you prefer plus over acturus?

Any SWF and CMS recommendations for Acturus?
plus

Roper

Ancient Member
Jul 4, 2010
Arcturus is ready to use out of the box whereas to have a decent hotel running Plus you need to spend abit more time fine tuning things.

Both very accessible.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
Any experienced Developer could help you with any Emulator. Making a Plugin System is easy. I've made one for Plus using LUA. You can modify an entire class and it'll be updated within the hotel without needing to recompile. Anyway that's not the main issue. Yes it does have a Community around it and everyones making projects that will only use Arcturus (for some reason). But the architecture of it is ugly as hell. Some SQL queries are cancer. And in general everything is mixed up. Whereas for Plus it's just neat and everything is nice on the eye. I do agree it's not the best somethings need to be done better etc... Anyway I will also answer the question.

If you want to a learn and have a challenge for yourself to always be programming new things on a medium difficultly use Plus it's easy to get around it and the architecture is designed pretty well.

If you want to do nothing and have everything at your doorstep use Arcturus it's packed with features. If you want to make small touches like making new custom small things you could go ahead and use Arcturus Plugin System. But if you really decide to start making your emulator into something beastly you will never be able to accomplish this with Arcturus.

Anyway with that said I have a list of Emulators you could use:

(Very well edited Plus Emulator).

(Very well structured neat emulator however needs a lot of work).

(Pretty much the same Structure as Alore but more has been done)

(One of the best servers out there).

(Very powerful emulator but has a lot to go).

(Arcturus Morningstar).

Koala

May 23, 2017
personal preference, everyone uses arcturus because it's noob friendly and everything is done for you but i prefer plus
What? How about no. Being able to run Arcturus / any other cross-platform emulator on Linux seems to be the main advantage. Imagine paying 20$ / month for 2GB windows VPS instead of 5-10$ for 2GB Linux VPS. Not to even mention how much better performance does Linux offer with said resources if configured correctly.

This has to be literally the dumbest message I've read for a long time. Have a great day.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
What? How about no. Being able to run Arcturus / any other cross-platform emulator on Linux seems to be the main advantage. Imagine paying 20$ / month for 2GB windows VPS instead of 5-10$ for 2GB Linux VPS. Not to even mention how much better performance does Linux offer with said resources if configured correctly.

This has to be literally the dumbest message I've read for a long time. Have a great day.
Good reason but you can accomplish the same on Plus.

Koala

May 23, 2017
Good reason but you can accomplish the same on Plus.
Since .NET Core and Framework are now (being) merged together with NET5, the cross-platform compatibility is better, but nowhere near perfect. I have never tried running PlusEMU on Mono so I have no clue if it even runs.
We really should not start an argument about whatever running .NET applications on Mono can be considered native, and how big the impact is on performance.

If I had to choose between running Java on linux, or running .NET via Mono on Linux I would still much rather want to run Java.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
You can run cross-platform with NET CORE. Even though you are limited. You will need Mono for NET. Well since you mentioned how Java is better I could argue that you would have more advantages if you used C#. Again the post wasn't about which language runs better but which Emulator is better. Also Java isn't any better with performance either. If you really want performance you would need to stick with a Language like GoLang. But again that's not the topic. You can use Comet if you want to use Java. Because all the things you have listed about how well a program runs on Linux if it's Java. Well that doesn't make a difference if you have Arcturus. With that being said me and even yourself can see how fast Microsoft Platform is evolving comparing it to Java.

Koala

May 23, 2017
You can run cross-platform with NET CORE. Even though you are limited. You will need Mono for NET. Well since you mentioned how Java is better I could argue that you would have more advantages if you used C#. Again the post wasn't about which language runs better but which Emulator is better. Also Java isn't any better with performance either. If you really want performance you would need to stick with a Language like GoLang. But again that's not the topic. You can use Comet if you want to use Java. Because all the things you have listed about how well a program runs on Linux if it's Java. Well that doesn't make a difference if you have Arcturus. With that being said me and even yourself can see how fast Microsoft Platform is evolving comparing it to Java.
What is your point? I simply pointed out to one guy who said that people who can only leech use Arcturus? The original comment was retarded.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
What is your point? I simply pointed out to one guy who said that people who can only leech use Arcturus? The original comment was retarded.
The original comment had a point even if it sounded retarded. Well clearly most of the people using it are Noobs. Otherwise they would go ahead and use Comet which is way better but not as updated nowadays. Anyway the point was that you could still use C# on Linux just like you would use Java if you wanted to and had the experience to. Besides the reason for you to use C# over Java is that you would have many advantages over Java. Because it seems like C# learnt from Java's mistakes. And is evolving rapidly. And when it comes to performance when you're using something for private servers you can forget about it. Because not that many people pay attention to that in these types of communities. And performance isn't everything sometimes.
Post automatically merged:

When I say performance isn't everything sometimes I mean if you have a pile of shit in front of you even if you put gold on it it'll still be a pile of shit.
What I mean is even if you use Java because you think it has better performance on Linux if what you're using is badly coded it won't make much difference.

Last edited:

Koala

May 23, 2017
The original comment had a point even if it sounded retarded. Well clearly most of the people using it are Noobs. Otherwise they would go ahead and use Comet which is way better but not as updated nowadays. Anyway the point was that you could still use C# on Linux just like you would use Java if you wanted to and had the experience to. Besides the reason for you to use C# over Java is that you would have many advantages over Java. Because it seems like C# learnt from Java's mistakes. And is evolving rapidly. And when it comes to performance when you're using something for private servers you can forget about it. Because not that many people pay attention to that in these types of communities. And performance isn't everything sometimes.
I never stated that C# is bad. I never stated that Java is good. Both have their limitations. When it comes to running on Linux, I would rather use Java since it's mostly compatible out of the box, whereas .NET is not (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread