Show DevBest A rather red personal website template

Nehalem

Aug 31, 2013
This is coded and not made in Photoshop or in any similar photo-editing programs.

This is something I've been working on lately, It's kinda simple to do but It's still clean. I'm not so sure about what I'm going to use it for though, probably for my portfolio or something like that. The template itself is very red-ish, even though the header is mixed with blurred red and brown colors. It's done in pure CSS3 and HTML, and I didn't use any jQuery (since what I wanted to do could be done in CSS3).

So, what I'm trying to say is, I need some constructive criticisms. That means I dont want to see any "nice work", "I like this" (that's why the like button exists) or anything similar to that.

Screenshot (or );
64Luw88.png

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Seen you often give feedback on other designs of peoples but never seen some of your own actual work.

Could you provide a demo for this so we can view the code etc as well? Judging from just an image is difficult in web design because in various screen resolutions this could screw up or things could break.

Anyway, you make a point on how you've done everything in CSS3 (which is like you for because CSS3 is the shit) but sometimes adding a fallback in jQuery is needed for some of them older browsers - may want to take this into consideration. I know I rarely do this but it should really be done.

Here's some things you could do to improve (imo);
  • For the content boxes, I'd try adding some more adding to just pad it out a little more
  • For the input of "Subscribe" I'd add a light border (#CCC perhaps) to just make it stand out a little more and to make it look like an input
  • Your logo - it's just plain text at the moment that isn't much bigger than the navi - try and make it stand out as that's the purpose of a logo
  • Not sure if it's the picture or not but at the moment, the background looks orange and the content is red, this looks a little odd
  • The text in the center image, although it looks quite 'funky' as it's tilted etc but it's not very clear. Either try and find a fix or make it straight.
  • I want to say something about the navigation but still unsure what would be best, so I won't bother saying anything just yet
Hope this helps, on the whole this is a pretty neat template. It's clean, it's quite easy on the eyes (often quite hard to achieve with such bright colours) and everything is organised. Nice work man, maybe a few improvements will help the template out.

Nehalem

Aug 31, 2013
Seen you often give feedback on other designs of peoples but never seen some of your own actual work.

Could you provide a demo for this so we can view the code etc as well? Judging from just an image is difficult in web design because in various screen resolutions this could screw up or things could break.

Anyway, you make a point on how you've done everything in CSS3 (which is like you for because CSS3 is the shit) but sometimes adding a fallback in jQuery is needed for some of them older browsers - may want to take this into consideration. I know I rarely do this but it should really be done.

Here's some things you could do to improve (imo);
  • For the content boxes, I'd try adding some more adding to just pad it out a little more
  • For the input of "Subscribe" I'd add a light border (#CCC perhaps) to just make it stand out a little more and to make it look like an input
  • Your logo - it's just plain text at the moment that isn't much bigger than the navi - try and make it stand out as that's the purpose of a logo
  • Not sure if it's the picture or not but at the moment, the background looks orange and the content is red, this looks a little odd
  • The text in the center image, although it looks quite 'funky' as it's tilted etc but it's not very clear. Either try and find a fix or make it straight.
  • I want to say something about the navigation but still unsure what would be best, so I won't bother saying anything just yet
Hope this helps, on the whole this is a pretty neat template. It's clean, it's quite easy on the eyes (often quite hard to achieve with such bright colours) and everything is organised. Nice work man, maybe a few improvements will help the template out.
I find it really hard to come up with new ideas when it comes to website templates - and that's why I do enjoy giving feedback (and suggestions) about other people's work.

Mhm, I prefer doing some 'animations' in CSS3 instead of Javascript/jQuery, since it's saves me from doing a lot of unnecessary work. And yeah I do agree with you, I'll have to add some jQuery soon or later. It's just a matter of time.

For the suggestions;
I had some issues with choosing the background color of the search bar, since I don't want it to be too dark or too bright - since the background is white. The logo is just plain text, yes. I don't want to make unnecessary logos, when you can make better things in just pure text. I like it that way. And the rotated image will probably become a slider soon or later, and I will probably replace the 'rotation' with some cool box-shadows (either that, or I'll try to make the text a bit more clear and easier to read) :p

Thanks for the feedback @Sysode, really appreciated. I will try to upload the template to codepen when I got time to do so, and when I've fixed a few things.

Users who are viewing this thread