What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Well, recently I bought a 15" MacBook Pro. However, I am extremely disappointed with the OS - I thought that it would be so much more. The OS itself seems very outdated, and hard to be productive with.

With that being said, I'm contemplating on doing one of the following things:
1) Keep the MacBook Pro, and simply use it with Windows 7 via Boot Camp.
2) Return it and get 90% of what I paid for it back.
3) Demolish it.

The build quality of the MacBook Pro is very nice, but the OS just seems very blah to me.

What are your thoughts?

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
I'd say number 3 :)

Anyways 2. If you can find a better laptop for less... because putting a new OS would take the warenty away?

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
How is it outdated?
From my experience, my MacBook Pro has helped me a lot to do my school work, code, listen to music, etc.
From those 3 options I would choose #2, but I would wait a couple more days to see if I change my mind, talk to a genius about my concerns,look for tips or mods for the mac(there are plenty), etc.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
How is it outdated?
From my experience, my MacBook Pro has helped me a lot to do my school work, code, listen to music, etc.
From those 3 options I would choose #2, but I would wait a couple more days to see if I change my mind, talk to a genius about my concerns, etc.

For one, the screen resolution is simply horrible. I installed Windows on here via Boot Camp, and the quality is so much better.

Another issue I have is getting around with open applications. It seems very hard to get around, and do what you want - unorganized. Where as in Windows everything is right there on the toolbar, and you can view what you have open at all times and get around with ease. There's also the fact about the windows not being easily manipulated to maximize, flick to a side of the screen, etc.

The OS itself is also very unappealing, IMO. Sure the dock is cool, but everything else seems blah. From the blue scroll bars, to the ugly "toolbar" at the top of the screen.

Last but not least, Mac OS seems to have a very limited supply of programs, with many being quite pricey. I prefer Windows where everything is open source and free to the entire community (for the most part).

I'll post more cons later.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
All open window's are on the dock, there's also a blue bottom below the applications that are open.
I can't argue about the windows being not so easy to manipulate, in Mac OS Lion you will be able to manipulate the size from any part of it though, FYI.
I have no issues with the screen's resolution myself, I watch YouTube videos without trouble or difficulty. If you have trouble watching YouTube videos I would just simply change from 360p to 480p, or higher if you have a good internet connection.

I've not needed any program that isn't free, besides from iWork and a couple of apps from the App Store. I use - MAMP, Limewire, iTunes, Coda(you know the drill), Skype, Evernote. And other software that comes with the Mac such as iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand.

If you have trouble finding minimized windows then unhide the dock?

I maintain my decision:
From those 3 options I would choose #2, but I would wait a couple more days to see if I change my mind, look for tips or mods for the Mac(there are plenty).

IMHO, I find Mac OS much more appealing than Windows, but that's just me.

Austin

Dec 30, 2010
Definitely Choice 1. Macs look pretty awesome on the outside, plus, if you decide you wanted to go back to Mac just for the hell of it, you could.

Bazinga

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2010
I'd go for 2. I've tried Mac OS using VMware and I feel the same about it as you, Windows is much more organized and the interface is so much easier to use. And at $1799 (cheapest) you'll get around $1620 back which is a substantial amount to buy a decent Windows PC/Laptop

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
I would go for 2. Your can buy a pretty decent i7 for the money you will get back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread