[TUT] How to create a local server [Can be used for Retros][EXTRA noob friendly]

NextToNothing

Dec 5, 2010
Hey guys, heres a tut you might be interested in ;P
In this tutorial im going to be showing you how to setup a local server, using xampp, and setting up services for the server AND showing you how to set a password for PhpMyAdmin. This will work on XP, Vista, Windows 7 and more than likely every other window. There is also a Mac version but i would think the installation is a little bit different. Ive done this on a Virtual Machine because i already have it installed on my Windows 7 Computer. Ive had this since i had Vista so dont say it doesnt work on xp, vista and windows 7.

Downloading the server
First off we will open up a web browser(in this case IE) and goto google.
Next type in 'xampp' and click Google Search or use this link if your too lazy =>

Click on the first link called 'Apache Friends - xampp'

Scroll down until you see 'Xampp for Windows' and click it.

Scroll down until you see a list with the heading 'Download' with 3 sub items.
Click on the subitem 'XAMPP'. Then click the according exe shown in the image below.

The download from sourceforge will now start.

On IE - Click run if you dont want to save the file.

Installing the server
If a pop-up appears, click run.

When the dialog appears, click on the 'Install' Button.

Wait for the installation to finish.

When the installation has finished, a Command Prompt will appear.
Follow exactly to these steps for what i think is the best options for this, Remember to read the instructions because the selection you make are not always my selection.

The first option to select is if you want shortcuts created. Ive selected yes (y).

The Xampp installation will now ask you if it should locate the xampp paths correctly. I recommend selecting yes (y) for this step unless you know what you are doing.

Next, the xampp installation will ask you if it should make a portable xampp with no drive letters. I recommend selecting no (n) unless your using a USB device (memory stick).

After it has relocated xampp it will ask you to continue. Press return (enter. you know, that big key to the right).

Xampp will tell you it has has set the default timezone setting in php.ini and my.ini to 'Europe/London'. You should change this accordingly after installation. Press return again.

The installation has now finished. Continue with the tutorial to learn how to run the server.

Running the server
So far, so good.
Now you need to run the server to use the server. Correct?

Open the xampp control panel. If you still have the installation cmd dialog open you can press 1 then press return. Else if you has installed shortcuts you can use that. Else goto the startmenu...

Once the control panel has opened you can select to install services by checking the 2 boxes with in blue and yellow circles in the image below. By installing services the server will be running or stop depending on the status of the server when you turn your computer on. Now click 'Start' on both 'Apache' and 'MySQL' if you have installed services or not.

Apache and MySQL should now be running on your computer.

If you still have the installation cmd dialog open you can now close this by typing x then pressing return.

Setting a PhpMyAdmin password(Optional but recommended on non-local servers)
Want to set a password to the root user, which happens to be called 'root' by default?
Follow this. Else continue the rest of the tutorial.

Open up a web browser and type 'Http://localhost/' into the browser. A xampp screen should load if the server is on.
Select the language you are most familiar with. Ive chosen English and i would think most of you would too.

On the side menu click on security.

A new window will open. Scroll down and click on the link (See image).

Type the password you want in both text boxes. Click on 'Password Changing' to save the passwordhttp://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4749/27locahostview.png

YOU'VE SET THE PASSWORD! ;D Im so happeh 4 u. lol

Checkin' out PhpMyAdmin
Ok, so you want to get into PhpMyAdmin and create database and stufs?
EASY! All you need to do is navigate to 'Http://localhost/'.

If you've set a password to PhpMyAdmin you will have to enter it with the username 'root' (no 's) like so:

And your in, you should know what to do from here you shouldnt need help from here.

OH NO! I dont know where to "upload" my files too!
OH WELL! Thats really easy too! All you need to do is as follows:

Open up a windows explorer and goto the hard drive you installed xampp onto (by default its C:\)
Now you need to follow this:
Goto the folder 'xampp'

Now goto the folder 'htdocs'

Ok, this is where you upload your files etc. But i think this folder needs a clean up dont you?
Now you can do this one of two ways.

Select all of the files and simply delete them all, (your friend says after you've deleted them "What if u forget ur password?")

Or, perhaps you might want to keep the files. Simply make a new folder and put all the other files into it.

How do i see my server/files??
Cant you wait or something? Im trying to finish this tutorial for you!
Right, to see your server/files, what ever you want to call them, you need to goto your browser and navigate to this url:
or perhaps that dont work, then try

Hmmm, i think thats it now. ALL DONE! If you need any help or need your question answering by me, dont be shy and post a reply and ill get to you as soon as possible.

Thanks all for taking your time for reading this.

Credits:
- 100% to me for everythin' ;DD

-------------------------------------------------------
------------------------F.A.Q
-------------------------------------------------------
Q - Can my friends see my server?
A - YES! They can, they will have to type your ip into there web browser and you will have to make sure you have port forwarded if necessary. You can get your ip address at

Q - I cant install the services!
A - Make sure you are on and administrator account and if you are on Vista or Windows 7 try opening the control panel as an administrator.

Q - I CANT INSTALL AT ALL!
A - Are you sure your on an administrator account little boy?

Q - How do i disable webdav correctly?
A - Check out this tutorial here[post soon]

Any more? Once again just post a reply to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread