Should going to university be free?

Xyro

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2011
So what do you think about this topic? Do you feel that universities should be free or you should rightfully pay for them?

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Nope. I don't want to pay for everyone's education for university and Collage. (You would have to pay through taxes which would raise taxes by alot) It would be cheaper if you think about it to pay by yourself with OSAP or other goverment grants and loans

iAmRyan

Aug 23, 2011
No. I believe all education should be free. (Government paid)
We are forced to go to school, get an education (By law), so why not let the law pay for it?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
There's no such thing as "free".

I'd assume what you are referring to is having the public pay for everyone's school expenses via taxes, which I'd strongly oppose. If you want to learn something, then you should look at the risks and rewards of learning in that field.

If you think that it would be a cost effective move, and that you will be able to pay off those debts easily by studying that subject, by getting a job in that field later on, then by all means you should go for it. For example, studying to be a doctor may cost a lot, but once you are done studying, you will more than likely receive a higher salary, allowing you to pay for the education costs. Also, if you did well in school, and show that this is something you really want to do, then you should not have trouble getting a loan as well.

But if there's a high risk studying something, then no, you should not do it, and the public should not be there to pay for it. For example, if you'd like to study to be a construction worker, but you know that there is no demand for those jobs at the moment, it probably wouldn't be the best route to go.

In short, you should have to pay for your higher education, but keep in mind that some fields are more lucrative than others, and if you find your self in a jam, it's more than likely a result of your poor calculation. Now that's not to say don't go after your goals in life, but just make sure that your aren't going to go get a loan for something that will not pay off in the end. I also think that the fact that you have to make the decision to whether a specific career is worth the cost is a good thing, rather than having the public pay for it, with little thought on your part as to how it may not be the best decision.

Jo$h

Posting Freak
Jul 7, 2010
I don't like the idea. Simple Fact: It would cost billions in taxpayer moneys to fund for every student to attend college/university.

No. I believe all education should be free. (Government paid)
We are forced to go to school, get an education (By law), so why not let the law pay for it?
You are not required by law to get higher education, so you if you choose to take that route, then you should have to pay for it.

iAmRyan

Aug 23, 2011
I don't like the idea. Simple Fact: It would cost billions in taxpayer moneys to fund for every student to attend college/university.

You are not required by law to get higher education, so you if you choose to take that route, then you should have to pay for it.

Josh, You have to go to school, BY LAW until the age of 16(In ireland anyways)

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
University is optional, no one is forcing you to attend. Uni has every right to ask you for fee's due to the teachers professionalism and your high degress (Masters etc... ) and most of all bloody brilliant good jobs.

For example if your wanting to become a Police officer or Care Assistant you can work your way up without Uni but it may take longer to reach that goal maybe never if you don't have the right skills and punctuality.

Or pay money to skip them and head straight in there.... and become a Detective or Doctor.

It's optional and has the right to be paid in my opinion.

RyanMK

Still alive
May 27, 2010
It cost's the government enough just to fund the compulsory education, let alone further. The money that students pay to attend university is used to fund the university itself and provide it with resources such as textbooks, computers etc. If it were free, the government would have to pay out more to the universities which means higher taxes.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
I read a story about a girl who had to buy her own chemistry textbooks for her AS course.
If we were to stop our incredulous spending, i.e funding for the shadow wars (which they have become), we would save loads of money.

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Students get student loans..for a reason; to buy books..pay rent and pay for all their things they need.

But no they get ther student loan and spend it all on drink and this comes out of tax payers money..half of them don't Ben pay it back

Bazinga

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2010
Higher Education (University) is free in Scotland ;) But I think that it should be free, and paid for via taxes in the rest of the UK as some people don't have enough money to go which gives people from a better background an unfair advantage in life which is really unfair. Even with student loans, a university course in England costs a total of £27,000 ($43,300) so the loans would hardly scratch the surface.

Jo$h

Posting Freak
Jul 7, 2010
Higher Education (University) is free in Scotland ;) But I think that it should be free, and paid for via taxes in the rest of the UK as some people don't have enough money to go which gives people from a better background an unfair advantage in life which is really unfair. Even with student loans, a university course in England costs a total of £27,000 ($43,300) so the loans would hardly scratch the surface.
Life is simply unfair -- Sometimes you get the shorter straw in life it's just that way.

For Example,

My higher education will be paid for on account of my dad working at a college. This college is a part of something called the Free College Trade Program, which allows me to choose from a list of colleges/universities that will be paid for by my father's workplace. Most students will not have this advantage, and that is just because of my dad going into that field. Some will have an unfair advantage -- That's just the way it goes.

Josh, You have to go to school, BY LAW until the age of 16(In ireland anyways)

I was talking about higher education. (Colleges, Universities, and Graduate Programs/Schools.)

Macheath

Jul 17, 2011
What about people who go to university just to waste another 3-4 years of their life? People are less likely (it still happens, but less likely) to go to university for the 'lols' if they have no real interest in the subject they're studying. It's less fair on the people who come from poor backgrounds, but that's what finical support is for, loans etc. If it was free you'd get people who really didn't want to learn more about a subject, maybe have no interest in a subject just because it's avaliable to them. It would also lower the respectability of a degree, "Oh you have a degree, so do I" which means it would be harder for talented students to get post-grad places.

Fox

Nov 25, 2011
Agreed with KT. If college was free, it'd just be more harm to the tax payer's pockets. Everyone would have to carry the share of 6000 or so universities burdens, including students who only enter the first year and drop out. Not to mention if it was government run, no doubt the government would skip out on "unnecessary" spending, spending that might make a non-government university the best in it's field for education. (meaning that the end education that the students get is worse)

Zippy

Aug 5, 2010
It should absolutely not be free. School / College is required for most jobs, a university degree is required for a higher paid job in most cases, and if you want to go to university you should fund it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread