Delete

React

Sep 17, 2023
Hello,

Back in the days (when it wasn't all about money..) I used to help people out with stuff at their retro hotels. I would love to re-create this helping vibe.

Some things I'm thinking of:
• Helping people out with editing their catalogue. Do we need a tutorial for the basic things? Or a catalog helping topic where we can collect questions and build some FAQ topic out?

• Making custom furniture (of your retro avatar). Maybe you are a starting retro owner and want a statue of your avatar.
Do you want a service for it so someone will make this for you, a tutorial for FurniBuilder (including converting and putting it in your hotel), or both?

• More Nitro furniture releases? Maybe a topic where people can request specific furniture and we can collect everything in 1 topic?

Yes I know that a lot can be found online, but look at this like you're completely new at this world. You want to learn and at the end, you don't want to be independent. What do you need?

Let me now your ideas at the comments, please.

Thoughtful of you & nice to seem genuine people around, be sure not to let people take advantage of your service & good luck!

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017
Hello,

Back in the days (when it wasn't all about money..) I used to help people out with stuff at their retro hotels. I would love to re-create this helping vibe.

Some things I'm thinking of:
• Helping people out with editing their catalogue. Do we need a tutorial for the basic things? Or a catalog helping topic where we can collect questions and build some FAQ topic out?

• Making custom furniture (of your retro avatar). Maybe you are a starting retro owner and want a statue of your avatar.
Do you want a service for it so someone will make this for you, a tutorial for FurniBuilder (including converting and putting it in your hotel), or both?

• More Nitro furniture releases? Maybe a topic where people can request specific furniture and we can collect everything in 1 topic?

Yes I know that a lot can be found online, but look at this like you're completely new at this world. You want to learn and at the end, you don't want to be independent. What do you need?

Let me now your ideas at the comments, please.
To be fair though, a lot of people who is now charging people for help once upon a time used to do a bunch for free, either releases or constant helping. A huge "issue" within the scene is people has completely lost the capability of "critical" thinking and their first instinct is to always ask for help before either trying and in a lot of cases they don't even read or check themselves - Imagine this might happen 5 or 10 times during a single day and it eventually drains you (Talking from experience).

Let alone half the people you help, will straight up take the info you gave them and charge the next in line for help.

I had a bunch of ideas regarding various guides, and the guides I did write even though it have helped a lot of people, it eventually turned into a thing where people privately was taking up so much of my time that i got completely drained from it and never ended up renewing existing or creating new ones.

A lot of the questions I got asked privately was mainly things I had already described within the guide(s) but sadly a lot of people do not bother at all, and they will instinctively go to you if you're an active "helper" and ask you the same questions over and over, no matter how well you describe it in a thread or how many times someone have explained a solution within the thread - the reason? this way they can stumble their way around and once they come across something that didn't just work out of the box, it's quicker (and requires less thinking) for them to ask you instead of spending the 10 extra minutes reading up on the issue or go through a guide and learn from it.

I'm not saying this is a thing that counts for every single individual, but it's an ridiculous amount of people that falls within the category above.

@Bran is consistently releasing new habbo furniture (already converted into .nitro files and ready to use) & @Puffin have also made a guide a while back on how to add furniture to your catalog, let alone released a now bit older version of his hotels entire catalog.

I myself have written multiple in-depth guides on how to setup IIS, Nitro, Arcturus MS, Atom CMS, MariaDB and more. I've also released multiple scripts (on my Github) which have detailed explanation, and even then i used to get private messages from people asking me for example: "Where do I get my API key" or similar to those, even though a link was provided within the explanation.

And I'm sure there's also plenty of other guides and releases out there I haven't mentioned.

I completely understand your idea behind "imagine you're brand new" how ever regarding that - If you want to setup your retro in the first place, then you're already somewhat aware about the existence of various communities e.g. Devbest, Krews etc. and once you find DevBest and if you're serious about creating a retro - like actually trying, then it wont be hard to go through the "Habbo releases" and "Habbo tutorials" sections on here.

So I don't completely see the need for a collection of threads, as any up2date guides and releases is already on page 1 of any section - The retro scene is long gone from what it used to be, most sections remains "dead" for weeks outside of a few help requests, so there's no chance that relevant threads gets pushed far down.

Of course if you wish to create guides or tutorials for certain areas, you should definitely do it, you should how ever be prepared for the potential repetition that comes with it, it quickly becomes an annoyance, knowing you've spent multiple hours writing something down for the public just to realise it was completely ignored in favor of laziness.

Last edited:

Liam

Super Moderator
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
If you don't want to be somewhat independent then you'll have a hard time managing a retro as it's not easy. Also not a good way to be in the real world.

As Object said, a lot of these tutorials exist. Make the effort if you want people to make the effort to play your retro.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
To be fair though, a lot of people who is now charging people for help once upon a time used to do a bunch for free, either releases or constant helping - a huge "issue" within the scene is people has completely lost the capability of "critical" thinking and their first instinct is to always ask for help before either trying and in a lot of cases they don't even read or check themselves - this might happen 5 or 10 times during a single day and it eventually drains you - Talking from experience.

I had a bunch of ideas of writing a bunch of guides but the guides I did write - and even though it have helped a lot of people, it eventually turned into a thing where people privately was taking up so much of my time that i got completely drained from it and never ended up expanding or renewing my guides. A lot of the questions asked privately to me was mainly things already described, but sadly a lot of people do not bother at all, and they will instinctively go to you if you're an active "helper" and ask you the same questions over and over, no matter how well you describe it in a thread - the reason? this way they can stumble their way around and once they come across something that didn't just work out of the box, it's quicker (and requires less thinking) for them to ask you instead of spending the 10 extra minutes reading up on the issue or go through a guide and learn from it.

I'm not saying this is a thing that counts for every single individual, but it's an ridiculous amount of people that fits within the above.

@Bran is releasing new habbo releases consistently (nitro as flash is basically never used within the scene at this point) & @Puffin have also made a guide a while back on how to add furniture to your catalog, let alone released a now bit older version of his hotels entire catalog.

I myself have written in-depth guides on how to setup IIS, Nitro, Atom cms, mariadb and so on (what ever is involved in setting up a retro).

And I'm sure there's plenty of other guides and released out there I haven't mentioned.

I completely understand your idea behind "imagine you're brand new" But if you want to setup your retro in the first place you already have an idea of the existence of the community e.g. Devbest, krews etc. and once you find devbest and if you're serious about creating a retro - like actually trying, then it wont be hard to go through the "Habbo releases" and "Habbo tutorials" sections on here.

So I don't completely understand the whole idea about making a collection of threads, as any up2date guides and releases is already on page 1 of any section.
I have to agree 100% with this statement. I used to help out people a lot more than I do now, and it just got to the point of exhaustion and burnout because nobody had the common sense to also help themselves at the same time, and they’d be coming to you for every little detail.

You can ask Dennis when I started out, I knew nothing. Sure there was things I asked for help along the way but I self taught myself a lot using common sense and exploring my hotel environment to get a better understanding of what does what and what controls what, etc. At the end of the day, a person willing to do that will have a successful/long standing hotel with actual sustenance.

Most people these days want to open a hotel, make some quick profit then shutdown again. The point is moot.

It’s a noble cause to help others out but you’re setting yourself up for the same thing Dennis and I, and many others in the community have experienced. But good on you if you want to take it up, just be prepared for what comes next.

I actually took down my how to add furni guide as I kept getting added by everyone asking for help when the tutorial was laid out pretty clear with pictures and all.

Users who are viewing this thread