My old pc as a VPS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Basically, I have a 2 year old pc lying around downstairs, and I thought about renting it out as a VPS.
Here are the basic specs:

AMD Athlon X2 3.2Ghz Processor
Kingston 8GB RAM DDR3
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HDD (Internal)
Asus ATI Radeon 5570 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus PCE N-13 Wireless card

I'll post bandwidth allowance and stuff when I find that out
Question:
How much do you think someone would pay for this per month?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
As Muscab mentioned, there will be a high electricty bill. But further more, you better make sure that your Internet provider doesnt have any bandwidth limitations.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
I don't think it'll be a feasible idea until I can get something sorted. And my ISP is sky, so I have no chance in hell, as they charge us ridiculous amounts of money for broadband

Jo$h

Posting Freak
Jul 7, 2010
To be honest, you should probably buy a real server instead of using a computer. However, the electricity bill wouldn't be that bad, because I have three computers over here that sit ON all day. 24/7/365 And the bill isn't that bad.

-Jordan-

Feb 19, 2011
To be honest, you should probably buy a real server instead of using a computer. However, the electricity bill wouldn't be that bad, because I have three computers over here that sit ON all day. 24/7/365 And the bill isn't that bad.
I have four that are on almost all day, In the night I Hibernate them, Electric bill will be nothing.

Hejula

Jul 25, 2011
I use my old PC as a home server, it is a good way to backup all your files over the network, you can also setup all the computers on your network to backup on the server. I guess you could rent it out, but you should ring your ISP first as they might get pissy if you are using there residential connection for somewhat 'business' actions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread