Mojang enforcing their rules

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
Minecraft arrived years ago, we're all aware of that. Mojang has not changed their EULA since then, but now the debate rages around it as Mojang finally enforces their EULA. The issue isn't whether the EULA is wrong or not, but because the Minecraft communities will have a rougher time making their servers run.
I'm not saying it's "very hard" to run a server, but it's costing a lot.
Mojang has seen an other way and haven't enforced their EULA for years, but now Mojang has had enough of getting tons of mails from parents asking to get their money back after their kid spent hundreds of dollars on a "goodiepack" as they call it, on a server which Mojang is not held responsible for.
"The actions of a few can mean harm to the mass." A wise man once said, and that's exactly what's happened here. I'm all for rewards and goodies as a donation thing, but the few that sold such, then didn't give it to the kids who bought it, or possibly even did, has impacted the whole community.
Bigger servers like Mineplex, Hypixel and so on have already reacted to the sudden enforcing of Mojangs EULA.

"Mojang this month announced that any servers hosting Minecraft games, mods and communities must abide by certain monetization rules.

The rules allow anyone to host a Minecraft server, and to take donations and fees for that service. But they cannot selectively charge variable access fees and they cannot charge for any items that can be used to a player's advantage. They can only sell aesthetic items, like costumes. But for most servers, their most popular packages (often called "ranks") include treats and goodies that do affect gameplay, though usually in small ways that do not unduly imbalance the game." wrote Polygon at 06/18/2014.

This means that the ranks we love so much which includes goodies and treats as a "thanks for helping us keep running" will no longer be allowed. Now you need to use items that doesn't affect gameplay. In-game currency cannot be in any sort of package either, which leads to the point that donation ranks may be rendered useless, and that servers most popular packages cannot be sold. Thus resulting in less income to make your server run.

My personal opinion is that this shouldn't be an issue. Servers need specific things to make themselves capable of running without costing the owners extreme amounts of money. Yes, you may be able to take a fee to make people access your server, but that's sort of ruining the entire experience and crushes part of the community. People will most definitely leave your server if you add such a fee. This will all lead to servers shutting down, simply because they cannot sustain a balance to pay their bills. Even big servers will get problems with this.

So, what's your opinions on what's going on guys?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
I have a server myself, just a 2GB one for room for around 30 odd people. However, it's purely for mates irl, we all chip in and pay a bit a month so keeping up with the cost isn't an issue but I can see where the problems arise. If I weren't to get support from friends (who pay monthly) and decided to open up to the public then donations would be a huge asset - paying out of your own pocket would just be too much.

Servers are costly, unique features should be allowed when running a server purely just to get the donations coming in.

Eh, my view anyways.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
I have a server myself, just a 2GB one for room for around 30 odd people. However, it's purely for mates irl, we all chip in and pay a bit a month so keeping up with the cost isn't an issue but I can see where the problems arise. If I weren't to get support from friends (who pay monthly) and decided to open up to the public then donations would be a huge asset - paying out of your own pocket would just be too much.

Servers are costly, unique features should be allowed when running a server purely just to get the donations coming in.

Eh, my view anyways.
Exactly. Unfortunately the community needs to find a way around the EULA to manage filling up donation packs to get their servers to run.
I too have a server, which is public and currently paid out of my own pocket (fortunately I have a friend chipping in as well), and without a job I can't manage to pay it myself.
I understand well why Mojang just now enforces their rules, as their intentions were not to let people make money out of their invention, but to create a good community. Unfortunately they're also crushing essential things within their community by doing such. Some comments on the entire matter have been "haha, get a job. Then you'll be able to pay for your server!". What those people never keep in mind, is that it's not easy to get a job, and especially not one if your server's big enough to cost you over $200 a week, or even daily, as some servers might do. It's not hard making enough money to run small servers, but we all know that spending money on a public server isn't very fun unless the server community chips in from time to time as well. Big servers on other hand is harder to make due for their bills, as they often have multiple servers, and big costs to keep them running.
If they've been looking another way for so long, I don't get why they suddenly enforce it. I'm not saying it's not their right as it is, but they could've changed the EULA to comply with todays matters, or try to clean up the "bad grains" within the community that has led to this whole argument.
tl;dr learn to summarize.
Sorry if my summarizing wasn't good. I didn't intend to make this an article. Just to get out the essential issues with their sudden enforcement of their EULA. Yes, it's a discussion, but you can still get the essential out of it even if my summarizing wasn't "good".

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Okay I'm confused the EULA does allow donations but doesn't allow items to be bought that effect game play right?

I do agree if donations don't make the cut you should get a job to pay for the rest of the expensives it should be your job to reach your players how important the donation's help keep the server alive. If you aim to make profit off your server I believe mojang should personally kick your ass. But that's just my opinion

DingLyDellmeister

To Ding, or to Dell.
Aug 21, 2011
but now Mojang has had enough of getting tons of mails from parents asking to get their money back after their kid spent hundreds of dollars on a "goodiepack" as they call it, on a server which Mojang is not held responsible for.
I don't see why it should be Mojang's problem that these parents can't raise a child.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
I don't see why it should be Mojang's problem that these parents can't raise a child.
Or keep track of their money usage. An essential thing in raising or even having a child, is to control how they use their money.
Mojang's got no responsibility of what happens on public servers, seeing as they only provide the software used for one. The only reason I've managed to locate for the recent EULA enforcing is that they're tired of the mails they get from parents asking for their money back when the money hasn't even gone to Mojang.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
As long as you keep within their regulations it'll be fine - you can still receive donations. Just not 'pay to win'.
Yes, you can. But you're not allowed to include things that inflicts the gameplay (such as diamonds for economy, or IGM). Which is the sole reason most donate to servers.

Users who are viewing this thread