PC Mojang, Bukkit, community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
As most of you minecrafters most likely have already noticed, there's quite some troubles over at Bukkit.
To sum it up, here's my view on things, as well as some links so you can see and make your own opinions on the matter. I'd love seeing your viewpoints in all this as well.

Well, essentially all this started when Mojang began enforcing their EULA after years of looking another way. Bukkit developers didn't like it, and eventually left.
One of them had agreed to add his contributions (Wolvereness) on the condition that his GPL would be untouched, and thus he enforced it. This GPL license doesn't support usage with non-GPL software (or more specifically, closed-source projects) and as a result he sent a DMCA to Craftbukkit bringing all downloads down. Seeing as Mojang's server.jar file isn't open source, his GPL license conflicted all along. Now he's trying to protect his property (the codes he submitted to the project), which is highly understandable.
All of this could've been prevented imo, if communications and decisions was better formed. As is, mis-communication and regrettable decisions has lead to this 'tragedy' to the community.

A lot of hate has been spread towards Wolvereness and Mojang, all depending on viewpoints. My viewpoint is that both sides are at fault, but Mojang's at least trying to save the project.

Although, we have seen Spigot saying goodbye (posted today), Cauldron gone (posted when the DMCA was received and read), and bukkit developers rapidly resigning. Some may have resigned at a bad point in time, but as is I don't see a reason why not to. Bukkit won't likely be updated in a while, if it's even getting updated at all.
We are all part of a healthy community (Yes, the MC community is healthy) and we will find a way around this bump in the road, although it may take a while. Either way, there's always creative minds out there which will make way. I'm certain of this.

If you can't wait for an update, or for an alternative to arrive, I suggest you keep using older versions of bukkit (Google can help you find those), or use CommandBlocks for what they're worth. There's a lot you can do with those, although grief-prevention is practically non-existant in ordinary vanilla. I for one is going to do this exactly. Commandblocks can be used for PvP arenas, mini-games, and possibly even creative areas. Although I can't assign specific locations to the set areas.

To make your own opinion on this matter, here's the links:
The DMCA notice from Wolvereness
Vu Bui's response to this
Then there's an independent opinion on the matter from someone who's got nothing to do with either sides.
Other than that, you can check out in order to read all the resignation posts from staff/former staff the past 2 weeks. I recommend reading comments, as some of those may clarify more.

DingLyDellmeister

To Ding, or to Dell.
Aug 21, 2011
It seems bukkit will be updated to 1.8:
Dinnerbone said:
I started Bukkit, I'm going to personally see it through for 1.8. Updating it now :)

Dinnerbone said:
To make this clear: Mojang owns Bukkit. I'm personally going to update Bukkit to 1.8 myself. Bukkit IS NOT and WILL NOT BE the official API.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
It seems bukkit will be updated to 1.8:

Although, that was written before the DMCA claim. What happens now is that if he is to update, he need to rewrite all the code Wolvereness contributed with unless the DMCA is withdrawn (which I highly doubt).

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Spigot never said anything along the lines of "goodbye". They simply said that they will not personally fight the DMCA, and hope that Mojang will. I'm sure Spigot as a community will continue, whether it's core project is based around Bukkit or not.
Although, that was written before the DMCA claim. What happens now is that if he is to update, he need to rewrite all the code Wolvereness contributed with unless the DMCA is withdrawn (which I highly doubt).
Even then, any developer who contributed to the project could make a similar DMCA claim, so at the end of the day the only way to prevent this would be to rewrite the entire project. The only way for Bukkit to be "legal" is for Mojang to open source the actual Minecraft server, so that it falls under the guidelines of the GPL licence that Bukkit is under. However, that will never happen, which means Bukkit is basically dead, and something else will have to take its place.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
Spigot never said anything along the lines of "goodbye". They simply said that they will not personally fight the DMCA, and hope that Mojang will. I'm sure Spigot as a community will continue, whether it's core project is based around Bukkit or not.

Even then, any developer who contributed to the project could make a similar DMCA claim, so at the end of the day the only way to prevent this would be to rewrite the entire project. The only way for Bukkit to be "legal" is for Mojang to open source the actual Minecraft server, so that it falls under the guidelines of the GPL licence that Bukkit is under. However, that will never happen, which means Bukkit is basically dead, and something else will have to take its place.
That is exactly correct. If Mojang really want the project to live, they will have to rewrite it, and at the same time give it an exception by providing the server.jar files themselves. The alternative would be to open-source as you said, which they will never do.

I realize I'm wrong when saying they said 'byebye', as they have indeed said they wanted to fight, but not do the fight themselves. I was misinformed by someone else that they had edited their post on Spigots homepage, but they hadn't since I read it.

EngeldesTodes

Deutsch Techno-Freak WIR SIND EIN
Feb 21, 2011
As most of you minecrafters most likely have already noticed, there's quite some troubles over at Bukkit.
To sum it up, here's my view on things, as well as some links so you can see and make your own opinions on the matter. I'd love seeing your viewpoints in all this as well.

Well, essentially all this started when Mojang began enforcing their EULA after years of looking another way. Bukkit developers didn't like it, and eventually left.
One of them had agreed to add his contributions (Wolvereness) on the condition that his GPL would be untouched, and thus he enforced it. This GPL license doesn't support usage with non-GPL software (or more specifically, closed-source projects) and as a result he sent a DMCA to Craftbukkit bringing all downloads down. Seeing as Mojang's server.jar file isn't open source, his GPL license conflicted all along. Now he's trying to protect his property (the codes he submitted to the project), which is highly understandable.
All of this could've been prevented imo, if communications and decisions was better formed. As is, mis-communication and regrettable decisions has lead to this 'tragedy' to the community.

A lot of hate has been spread towards Wolvereness and Mojang, all depending on viewpoints. My viewpoint is that both sides are at fault, but Mojang's at least trying to save the project.

Although, we have seen Spigot saying goodbye (posted today), Cauldron gone (posted when the DMCA was received and read), and bukkit developers rapidly resigning. Some may have resigned at a bad point in time, but as is I don't see a reason why not to. Bukkit won't likely be updated in a while, if it's even getting updated at all.
We are all part of a healthy community (Yes, the MC community is healthy) and we will find a way around this bump in the road, although it may take a while. Either way, there's always creative minds out there which will make way. I'm certain of this.

If you can't wait for an update, or for an alternative to arrive, I suggest you keep using older versions of bukkit (Google can help you find those), or use CommandBlocks for what they're worth. There's a lot you can do with those, although grief-prevention is practically non-existant in ordinary vanilla. I for one is going to do this exactly. Commandblocks can be used for PvP arenas, mini-games, and possibly even creative areas. Although I can't assign specific locations to the set areas.

To make your own opinion on this matter, here's the links:
The DMCA notice from Wolvereness
Vu Bui's response to this
Then there's an independent opinion on the matter from someone who's got nothing to do with either sides.
Other than that, you can check out in order to read all the resignation posts from staff/former staff the past 2 weeks. I recommend reading comments, as some of those may clarify more.
so basiclly they just going to give up as the DMCa act comes in force from mojang

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
Can somebody explain what's the big fuss about this?
Babyspoonfeeding: Mojang owns bukkit. Bukkit got DMCA'd by a former dev. The whole of bukkit needs recode as any other contributor can send one.
Bukkit's going down (Unless Dinnerbone/Mojang actually bother rewrite the entire software).

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
Babyspoonfeeding: Mojang owns bukkit. Bukkit got DMCA'd by a former dev. The whole of bukkit needs recode as any other contributor can send one.
Bukkit's going down (Unless Dinnerbone/Mojang actually bother rewrite the entire software).
To be honest, I don't see why Mojang won't make their vanilla Minecraft server open-source, it would be amazing.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Anyways, it looks like the community has gotten together, and decided that will be created as "replacement" to Bukkit. It will be built on top of Forge, and will have an API based on Spout/Flow. Someone has also stated that they will make a bridge, called , allowing Bukkit plugins to work with Sponge.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Mojang releasing the source to their vanilla server would be a good shout; it's not their main product + it would open up a whole new world of modding.
(Unless their server falls under the MC licenses they sell)

Vanish

Rising Java Developer
Dec 8, 2013
Well that escalated quickly o.o But on twitter Nathan said he was gonna code Bukkit himself? Am i wrong? *insert tune here*. [Correct me if i am actually wrong]

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
Well that escalated quickly o.o But on twitter Nathan said he was gonna code Bukkit himself? Am i wrong? *insert tune here*. [Correct me if i am actually wrong]
He did say something like 'I created bukkit, and I will see to it personally that bukkit will be updated for 1.8!' But that was before the DMCA had taken down downloads etc. in response to EvilSeph's twitter post regarding shutting Bukkit down.

@RastaLulz Happy to see the community staying strong, and Forge was(and is) a viable alternative, so it's not a shocker someone's building a similar software upon Forge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread