Introduction Howdy guys.

Radiant

Dec 30, 2011
Hey there, I'm 19 years old, a beginning coder that's trying to put together an Open source Portfolio CMS and I signed up because one of the threads on this forum (this one : ) helped me greatly and as I learn I hope to contribute to the community as well.

I used to only design and have about 7 years of Photoshop experience, so maybe I'll be able to help out on that end. I don't have a portfolio up right now but I'll post things over time :)

Kayte

Living La Dolce Vita.
Apr 19, 2011
Hello, Welcome to DevBest. I'm Katie, the most awesomest user registered on here..!

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Glad I inspired (if that's the correct word?) you to join the forum.

Anyway, welcome and stick around!

Radiant

Dec 30, 2011
Woah, quick replies, nice to meet you guys!

And yeah m0nsta, you did motivate me to join!
I was on google looking for a good object-oriented example for image uploading and yours stood out from the rest, how long have you been coding PHP for?

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Woah, quick replies, nice to meet you guys!

And yeah m0nsta, you did motivate me to join!
I was on google looking for a good object-oriented example for image uploading and yours stood out from the rest, how long have you been coding PHP for?
Overall I've been programming for about 5 years now, I started off with Visual Basic 6. But I soon got bored of software development and decided to take on web development, I enjoyed it a lot more than software development as it was more flexible and fun to play with, after about 6 months of understanding HTML, I decided to tackle PHP. So I've been coding in PHP for about 2 - 3.5 years now. :)

Radiant

Dec 30, 2011
Overall I've been programming for about 5 years now, I started off with Visual Basic 6. But I soon got bored of software development and decided to take on web development, I enjoyed it a lot more than software development as it was more flexible and fun to play with, after about 6 months of understanding HTML, I decided to tackle PHP. So I've been coding in PHP for about 2 - 3.5 years now. :)
I see, your experience is definitely showing by how fast you came up with that efficient object-oriented approach. I myself have been coding XHTML/CSS for about a year or so, started JavaScript/jQuery about 5 months ago and am pretty much now just starting with PHP. The reason I'm moving towards coding is because I was always busy making web templates, but was never able to make them ready to use online, so here's my attempt at doing so!

I took a brief glance over the Tutorials section in the Coders' Forum, but couldn't really find out what the best way for would be for starting out, I figured it'd just be to start a project like a CMS but maybe that's not the best way, do you have any suggestions?

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
The best thing about you knowing JavaScript/jQuery and now taking on PHP is that the syntaxes are pretty damn similar. I myself am not the best in JavaScript, but I know a few things in it!

What I would suggest is buying this book: - I got this recently and I've not read the full thing but I had a flick through, it's a really good resource. Also, try out , or even try out PHP's website, - I'm not the best at explaining things and I just tend to pick up things as I go along. Also, take a look at other peoples' scripts and if you see a function you're not familiar with, look it up on and try out a few things with said function. Hopefully after a while you'll have a whole heap of PHP functions available at your own will and be able to use them when necessary. That's what I did and it's helped me quite a lot! Hope it helped.

Radiant

Dec 30, 2011
The best thing about you knowing JavaScript/jQuery and now taking on PHP is that the syntaxes are pretty damn similar. I myself am not the best in JavaScript, but I know a few things in it!

What I would suggest is buying this book: - I got this recently and I've not read the full thing but I had a flick through, it's a really good resource. Also, try out , or even try out PHP's website, - I'm not the best at explaining things and I just tend to pick up things as I go along. Also, take a look at other peoples' scripts and if you see a function you're not familiar with, look it up on and try out a few things with said function. Hopefully after a while you'll have a whole heap of PHP functions available at your own will and be able to use them when necessary. That's what I did and it's helped me quite a lot! Hope it helped.
Yeah I noticed the large amount of similarities as well, the fact that they're both object-oriented now benefits me a lot too.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them! Currently I'm reading a few books as well, Learning PHP, MySQL and Javascript from Oreilly Media, and PHP5 Objects, Patterns and Practice by Matt Zandstra. They're helping me a lot too, and I'd suggest them to anyone starting out and needing to learn the syntax, hopefully I'll be able to cook this CMS up soon =)

Ept

Many men wish death upon me.
Jun 16, 2011
Welcome to the forums! Good luck with learning PHP and what else that you desire to do!

Users who are viewing this thread