How to make your retro public on a domain?

Hobba

Jan 5, 2024
Hi guys, I am struggling with figuring out how to connect my hotel to my domain to make it public.
I've tested it on localhost, it works fine. Now I've switched everything to my VPS IP and still working for me.
My question is, how do I go about making this public and connecting it to my domain?
I have changed the DNS to the cloudflare, and then CF DNS to point to my VPS IP.
When I go to my domain, nothing loads.

DarbzdoingBits

Apr 2, 2019

1. Domain and DNS Configuration​

1. Domain Registrar: Verify that your domain is correctly pointing to Cloudflare's nameservers. This step is crucial for Cloudflare to manage your DNS.
  2. Cloudflare DNS Settings:
    • Ensure that you have an A record pointing your domain (e.g., yourdomain.com) to your VPS IP address.
    • You might also need to add an A record for if you want it to work with and without "www".

2. Server Configuration​

Ensure your VPS is properly configured to serve your application:

1. Web Server Setup: Make sure you have a web server (such as Apache or Nginx) installed and configured on your VPS.
  2. Web Server Configuration:
    • Your web server should be configured to listen on port 80 (HTTP) and optionally port 443 (HTTPS).
    • The server block or virtual host should be set to use your domain name. For example, in Nginx:

• 3. Cloudflare SSL/TLS Settings​

If you are using Cloudflare for DNS, you may need to configure SSL/TLS settings:
      1. SSL Mode: Ensure that the SSL mode is set to Full or Full (strict) in the Cloudflare dashboard if you have an SSL certificate on your VPS.
      2. Page Rules: Optionally, configure page rules to always use HTTPS or other settings specific to your requirements.
    • 4. Firewall and Security Groups​

1. Firewall on VPS: Ensure that the firewall on your VPS allows traffic on the necessary ports (80 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS).
      2. Cloudflare Firewall: Verify that Cloudflare is not blocking any necessary traffic.
    • 5. Testing​

1. DNS Propagation: Remember that DNS changes can take some time to propagate. Use tools like to verify that your domain points to the correct IP.
      2. Browser Cache: Clear your browser cache or try accessing your domain from an incognito window or different browser.
    • Example Checklist​

1. Verify Domain: Check that your domain's nameservers are pointing to Cloudflare.
      2. Cloudflare DNS: Ensure A record is set correctly.
      3. Web Server Config: Configure Nginx/Apache with the correct server block/virtual host.
      4. Firewall Rules: Ensure your VPS firewall allows HTTP/HTTPS traffic.
      5. SSL Settings: Configure Cloudflare SSL settings appropriately.
      6. Check DNS Propagation: Use DNS tools to verify changes.
    • By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and fix the issue preventing your retro server from being accessible via your domain. If problems persist, providing specific error messages or logs can help further diagnose the problem.

EngeldesTodes

Deutsch Techno-Freak WIR SIND EIN
Feb 21, 2011

1. Domain and DNS Configuration​

1. Domain Registrar: Verify that your domain is correctly pointing to Cloudflare's nameservers. This step is crucial for Cloudflare to manage your DNS.
  2. Cloudflare DNS Settings:
    • Ensure that you have an A record pointing your domain (e.g., yourdomain.com) to your VPS IP address.
    • You might also need to add an A record for if you want it to work with and without "www".

2. Server Configuration​

Ensure your VPS is properly configured to serve your application:

1. Web Server Setup: Make sure you have a web server (such as Apache or Nginx) installed and configured on your VPS.
  2. Web Server Configuration:
    • Your web server should be configured to listen on port 80 (HTTP) and optionally port 443 (HTTPS).
    • The server block or virtual host should be set to use your domain name. For example, in Nginx:

• 3. Cloudflare SSL/TLS Settings​

If you are using Cloudflare for DNS, you may need to configure SSL/TLS settings:
      1. SSL Mode: Ensure that the SSL mode is set to Full or Full (strict) in the Cloudflare dashboard if you have an SSL certificate on your VPS.
      2. Page Rules: Optionally, configure page rules to always use HTTPS or other settings specific to your requirements.
    • 4. Firewall and Security Groups​

1. Firewall on VPS: Ensure that the firewall on your VPS allows traffic on the necessary ports (80 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS).
      2. Cloudflare Firewall: Verify that Cloudflare is not blocking any necessary traffic.
    • 5. Testing​

1. DNS Propagation: Remember that DNS changes can take some time to propagate. Use tools like to verify that your domain points to the correct IP.
      2. Browser Cache: Clear your browser cache or try accessing your domain from an incognito window or different browser.
    • Example Checklist​

1. Verify Domain: Check that your domain's nameservers are pointing to Cloudflare.
      2. Cloudflare DNS: Ensure A record is set correctly.
      3. Web Server Config: Configure Nginx/Apache with the correct server block/virtual host.
      4. Firewall Rules: Ensure your VPS firewall allows HTTP/HTTPS traffic.
      5. SSL Settings: Configure Cloudflare SSL settings appropriately.
      6. Check DNS Propagation: Use DNS tools to verify changes.
    • By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and fix the issue preventing your retro server from being accessible via your domain. If problems persist, providing specific error messages or logs can help further diagnose the problem.
you used chatgpt lol

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Hi guys, I am struggling with figuring out how to connect my hotel to my domain to make it public.
I've tested it on localhost, it works fine. Now I've switched everything to my VPS IP and still working for me.
My question is, how do I go about making this public and connecting it to my domain?
I have changed the DNS to the cloudflare, and then CF DNS to point to my VPS IP.
When I go to my domain, nothing loads.
DNS can take a while sometimes (up to 48 hours) it should be working now for you, if you’ve set it up right.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I'm still having the same issue. It's working fine on my VPS as 127.0.0.1, localhost or when I type in my domain it loads.
However when I try to go to the domain on public, when I am off the VPS, nothing loads when I type in my domain.
I've already configured DNS to point to VPS, I was told to remove CF and tried that. Still nothing.
What’s your domain? Screenshot domain dns config and CF dns config for me

Users who are viewing this thread