Show DevBest DBShield - Database Firewall

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
So I found this the other day:
Basicly it's a self-learning application level firewall for your database to help and protect from malicious queries to your database. It's really interesting to take a look at, it's written in Go (Google's language).

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
This is pretty cool. I wonder what kind of overhead it would have with a highly active SQL server (ie - 1k+ QPS) that also has slave replication. I'm no DBA but surprised we haven't seen something like this before (most things similar to this are used for DB clusters). Nice share :)

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
This is pretty cool. I wonder what kind of overhead it would have with a highly active SQL server (ie - 1k+ QPS) that also has slave replication. I'm no DBA but surprised we haven't seen something like this before (most things similar to this are used for DB clusters). Nice share :)
I guess that's the reason it didn't really pick up yet, I wonder if it's scalable for big sites.

TheRealMoonman

I eat babies
Sep 30, 2014
This has given me a new perspective of Google Go, although it does use a significant amount of memory due to it lacking explicit memory management, I probably would not use this on a larger scale due to performance issues.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
This has given me a new perspective of Google Go, although it does use a significant amount of memory due to it lacking explicit memory management, I probably would not use this on a larger scale due to performance issues.
Mind to include sources? Sounds like nonsense to me. Searched a lot after your statements, which actually state that Go is quite fast and doesn't use that much memory (when done right, as with all languages).

TheRealMoonman

I eat babies
Sep 30, 2014
Mind to include sources? Sounds like nonsense to me. Searched a lot after your statements, which actually state that Go is quite fast and doesn't use that much memory (when done right, as with all languages).
how do you figure its nonsense? they state on their website itself, in the FAQ, why does Go use so much virtual memory, obviously you haven't looked deep enough.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
how do you figure its nonsense? they state on their website itself, in the FAQ, why does Go use so much virtual memory, obviously you haven't looked deep enough.
That's memory management then. It reserves a large block of VIRT but resident set size is generally very low. This is to prevent memory fragmentation. When you compare it to something like Java, it has great memory management.

TheRealMoonman

I eat babies
Sep 30, 2014
That's memory management then. It reserves a large block of VIRT but resident set size is generally very low. This is to prevent memory fragmentation. When you compare it to something like Java, it has great memory management.
I can fully agree with that, Actually saw the comparison on
another interesting comparison was Go being compared to C++

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I can fully agree with that, Actually saw the comparison on
another interesting comparison was Go being compared to C++
Looks like you haven't looked further into it.

Users who are viewing this thread