Computer is crazy hot!

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
My dell is INSANELY hot. I basically use it as a desktop computer now. I think it's because of the GPU but it runs anywhere from 120°F to 190°F. Any help?
I have an external fan sitting under it on my desk and it's well vented.

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
Maybe it's not clean?

This happened to me on my old HP but it's not normally a used method; I read online that opening and cleaning/wiping or vacuuming the air vent helps sometime.

I vacuumed mine!

iHarrison

Mar 11, 2012
I've never used external fans so I'm never sure on how well they work, probably a poor fan installed or just needs a clean out. There's definitely something up since you're reaching temperatures that my GPU would never reach.

Clit

Posting Freak
Feb 25, 2012
thaats crazy, my dell tower is constantly on, never turn it off, never even. warm lol

~Sent from my LG bobba Model using Tapatalk 2~

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Try cleaning your exhaust fan. If you continue reaching that temperature every time you boot up, no wonder it'll cause more damage to your Dell.

If you don't know how, probably have a computer tech to do that for you and pay them. Or even have a general clean up for it. My LG laptop used to be shutting down due to heat, then we found out there were lots of dirts in the fan and in the system so they did a general cleaning.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
What do I use to clean it? I don't really have any small dust busters for this ^^
You have to do it manually, opening the internal part of your Dell and removing parts until you're on the dusty fan. There you get a duster and slowly wipe off the dust and dirt. That should normally work, also be careful on removing the screws, place them on one place that you can reach easily and that they won't get lost. Have a screwdriver that'll fit for your Dell's screws.

Or if you don't really know... or is clueless how to do what I mean, then have a tech to do it for you.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
You have to do it manually, opening the internal part of your Dell and removing parts until you're on the dusty fan. There you get a duster and slowly wipe off the dust and dirt. That should normally work, also be careful on removing the screws, place them on one place that you can reach easily and that they won't get lost. Have a screwdriver that'll fit for your Dell's screws.

Or if you don't really know... or is clueless how to do what I mean, then have a tech to do it for you.
I've taken laptops apart just didn't know what to use to actually clean the parts. Gunna do this in a few minutes, thanks!

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Be careful not to touch any sensitive part or have them displaced (e.g. you accidentally tapped on a wire or something and it's original place was bent), or else your computer might be damaged.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Welcome. I had this problem too long time ago, we're pretty sure nothing wrong with your RAM or memory, just the dirt* of your internal computer system. :)

itsJordan

Internet Pirate?
Aug 23, 2012
I think I've seen it out there, just limits on the amount of people that offer it. Otherwise check out this link for more help - have a nice day!

- Jordan

Users who are viewing this thread