CloudFlare useful or not useful?

Copernicus

Brutality is my game....
Mar 5, 2012
Hi DevBest,

There was a discussion between me and a friend if CloudFlare was useful or not useful, I saw cloudflare as not useful what do you think?

-HabFun123

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
It can be usefull, when you set-up the configuration and you don't have given away the original IP at the beginning.

Deion

Posting Freak
Jul 3, 2010
I say yes it is useful, but if your IP is accessible to users in any other way they can still cause problems.

Copernicus

Brutality is my game....
Mar 5, 2012
I say yes it is useful, but if your IP is accessible to users in any other way they can still cause problems.
But any person can find out your original IP there are some tools which help you do that, if cloudflare is so good why doesn't it block people making ddos attacks on the original ip cloudflare is good for mild attacks and as a DNS company and it does speed up your site it also can be good if paid for, but most people don't pay for it.

Deion

Posting Freak
Jul 3, 2010
But any person can find out your original IP there are some tools which help you do that, if cloudflare is so good why doesn't it block people making ddos attacks on the original ip cloudflare is good for mild attacks and as a DNS company and it does speed up your site it also can be good if paid for, but most people don't pay for it.
Cloudflare sends out a fake IP address. If I were to try to ping a site using cloudflare, a false address would come out. If you are hosting a server of a sort, it's obvious that the IP would be vulnerable, because that's how users connect. You have to try avoiding that though.

Now habbo terms, it is easy to gain someone's site IP address as all it takes it viewing the page source to the client. That's why people hide their IP's within their swfs now so they can avoid having people do that.

zMagenta

Posting Freak
Jul 15, 2011
Cloudflare "Free" plan is stupid. It'll give you very little to none protection. I would only go with them if I had $200 to spend on their best plan, but even then, I doubt I would go to them.

90s > Present
Jun 18, 2012
Cloudflare is useful in my eyes.
It speeds your website up & includes soo many apps.
If you set it correctly they can't "Command Prompt> ping url" to get your IP soo easily.
But then again if they do have your IP it is useless, soo both ways around.

SkeetEmUp

Habpl.us
May 16, 2011
Cloudflare free plan works like a charm. It stops most DDoS attacks and if it doesn't you flick it into "Under attack" mode and you are away. I don't get why you are all saying its bad and you need $200 protection from them. Bitch no.

If you set it up properly then it works great!

Half of you leave un-protected records etc so 'tools' can get your IP. That is because you are stupid.

Cloudflare does its job. It protects from DDoS. If you run a Habbo retro all on one server people will get your IP from the client and then attack you that way... Thats what half you guys dont understand.

Big hotels like Habplus, Fresh, Zap all use cloudflare to keep there sites up. You cannot get there site IP from the client because they aren't using the same server. The emulator IP (In client) are usually DDoS protected with another company.

So yes cloudflare is fucking great!

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Cloudflare is a DNS service and shouldn't be used for DDoS mitigation. It doesn't protect from DDoS when attackers have the actual IP address. It does do a good job of filtering packets though. The only problem is the it can cause high server load when being turned on/off.

SkeetEmUp

Habpl.us
May 16, 2011
Cloudflare is a DNS service and shouldn't be used for DDoS mitigation. It doesn't protect from DDoS when attackers have the actual IP address. It does do a good job of filtering packets though. The only problem is the it can cause high server load when being turned on/off.
... Ofcourse it doesn't protect when attackers have IP... Neither do DDoS proxys.

Id love to see all your retros not with Cloudflare then :)

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
I just use it for DNS management I've never really had a reason to have 3/4ths of my website taken down when I'm being attacked.

It's useless to pay for (IMO) because most of the site goes away, PHP functions are relatively useless, and so are sessions, all under a DDoS attack of course.
I'd rather have the entire thing down then have an unusable site that's still up.

Users who are viewing this thread