When can you re-name a CMS?

Secure

Feb 14, 2014
Hello everyone,

I see so many people are re-naming a CMS, but why?
Only because they changed the index or register or fixed several bugs?
I guess that's not allowed.

But when do you actually can re-name a CMS?
When are you allowed to do that, because if you change everything you actually can make your own CMS instead of editing one.

Can someone give me a clear answer? :)

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Chantal.

Sep 21, 2012
I think that you can rename a CMS all you want, but the CMS will still be an edit of something else. You need to do some real work of your own, if you want to call a CMS yours. That in my opinion means that 51% of the work should be yours.

Tiwi

The one and only!
Jan 23, 2014
Actually, a lot of people change the copyright, unrightfully. You may see a standard RevCMS theme, but instead of coded by Kryptos, It may be "coded" by xXCoolBoy123Xx or something, they didn't actually code it, they just changed the copyright. You can re-name a CMS all you want though, there isn't really a rule against it except you are breaking copyright.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Changing all of the images IS NOT making it your CMS either :) I think you should only be able to call it YOUR cms if you actually did 50% + of work.

I did not rename my UberCMS :D it still has the person who rightfully coded it, but I did remove most of the credits at the top of the pages so that I could navigate through it faster while working on it.. I do say it's 'my cms edit' but I do not call it mine even though I have been working on it over a year...

Users who are viewing this thread