Using PC as a server

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
Hi guys,

I am curious as to how I should go about setting up my old laptop as a server, similar to a VPS...except not virtual (excuse my noob terms).

I want to use it solely to host a webserver and perhaps Habbo emulator.

What specific Windows release do I use? Anything I need to know before doing so, etc.

Thanks ;)

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
You can use the windows version you already have, I'd recommend downloading a cracked version of Windows Server 2008 R2 (My favorite!).
Windows 7 ultimate will do as well, both can enable remote desktop connection so you can manage your server from another PC (Like it's a VPS)
OS won't really matter in terms of performance unless it's a really old laptop. Also make sure that the laptop isn't set on a flat surface, the bottom should be raised so that the computer can receive air from the bottom, that way it doesn't melt!

If you need any help (Not regarding habbo please) PM me I've done this for a living.
if you plan on not setting up a habbo emu I'd suggest using Linux (CentOS, or Debian if you want a GUI).

Snappy

^^^^UpHosting^^^^
Aug 29, 2013
You can use the windows version you already have, I'd recommend downloading a cracked version of Windows Server 2008 R2 (My favorite!).
Windows 7 ultimate will do as well, both can enable remote desktop connection so you can manage your server from another PC (Like it's a VPS)
OS won't really matter in terms of performance unless it's a really old laptop. Also make sure that the laptop isn't set on a flat surface, the bottom should be raised so that the computer can receive air from the bottom, that way it doesn't melt!

If you need any help (Not regarding habbo please) PM me I've done this for a living.
if you plan on not setting up a habbo emu I'd suggest using Linux (CentOS, or Debian if you want a GUI).
If he did this would he have to port forward for it to be public because I might try this?

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010

You're a babe, so descriptive if I wasn't povo I'd give you $$$$$$$$. ilys

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
If he did this would he have to port forward for it to be public because I might try this?
Yes if you want it to be a public facing webserver you need to open port 80, and if you want to be able to remote desktop connect publicly/do it from an external IP you need to forward port 3389.
You might need to open the port in your firewall on Windows Server 2008, I always do but I'm not sure if it's required.

Snappy

^^^^UpHosting^^^^
Aug 29, 2013
Yes if you want it to be a public facing webserver you need to open port 80, and if you want to be able to remote desktop connect publicly/do it from an external IP you need to forward port 3389.
You might need to open the port in your firewall on Windows Server 2008, I always do but I'm not sure if it's required.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread