Legal Advice - NYPD Trademark

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
Hi there,

I own a domain HRPNYPD.com for HabboRP's PD. Recently, I was forwarded an e-mail from Namecheap.

The e-mail was:
Hello,

We are in receipt of complaint regarding probable trademark infringement for hrpnypd.com domain, of which you are the registered owner. As a valued customer and the registered owner of the domain, and per Namecheap Registration Agreement and WhoisGuard Service Agreement, we are forwarding you the above mentioned email so that you can address this matter. We cannot advise you as to what action to take, but we strongly urge you to review the email quoted below and/or attached PDF document and recommend contacting the complainant to resolve this matter.

**********************************************************************************8
> To Whom It May Concern,
>
> Please see the attached letter from the New York City Law Department.
> An immediate response is requested.
>
> Thank you,
>
>
>
> Korie Walters
> Intellectual Property/Enforcement Paralegal
> New York City Law Department
> 100 Church Street
> New York, New York 10007
> Phone: (212) 788-1102
> Fax: (212) 571-4600
> [email protected] <blocked::mailto:[email protected]>
>
>
>
>

------------------
Regards,
Olya B.
Customer Support

This is the link to the PDF:

I am not sure how to respond to this, I will sneak a little lie into it about it being North Yass PD instead of New York, might help my case... anyway... here is my e-mail so far...

Hi there,

My name is Josh Howard, a young internet user. I am 14 years of age, from Australia.

I am the current registered owner of the domain name HRPNYPD.com, it is for a roleplaying game on the internet, in which there is a police department, known as the North Yass Police Department. On the site, once created, in the footer, there will be a clear annotation stating: "THIS WEBSITE IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH THE NEW YORK POLICE DEPARTMENT. THIS IS A MOCK WEBSITE USED FOR AN ONLINE GAME. FOR ALL LEGITIMATE NYPD ENQUIRIES, PLEASE VISIT NYC.GOV/NYPD.

I had in no way any intention to interfere with the ongoing business with the New York Police Department, and I apologise in that regard.

If you require me to take further action, please inform me.

Kind Regards,

Josh Howard

e: [email protected]
p: 0449 *** ***

Any ideas on what I can change, if I should bother responding, and what will happen if I don't?

&& I thought trademarks were country specific, and you had to own them in each country... in that case, the NYPD wouldn't own trademarks in Australia would they? What's the go with this trademark stuff? Anyone been in this situation before?

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
OMG THEY GONNA ARREST YOU

JK, send it send it send it :up:

Sledmur

Web-Developer
Nov 29, 2011
Hi there,

I own a domain HRPNYPD.com for HabboRP's PD. Recently, I was forwarded an e-mail from Namecheap.

The e-mail was:

This is the link to the PDF:

I am not sure how to respond to this, I will sneak a little lie into it about it being North Yass PD instead of New York, might help my case... anyway... here is my e-mail so far...

Any ideas on what I can change, if I should bother responding, and what will happen if I don't?

&& I thought trademarks were country specific, and you had to own them in each country... in that case, the NYPD wouldn't own trademarks in Australia would they? What's the go with this trademark stuff? Anyone been in this situation before?
Yep, probably just a misunderstanding. Explain where your from, you had no idea of it, and it's just for a game =)

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
Just realised... the NYPD must be confused, must think I'm going to sell chinese merchandise with NYPD labels on it... look at

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
facepalm.jpg at your reply....

Also just fuck it all you gotta say is what it is and it's nothing to do with nypd

Clit

Posting Freak
Feb 25, 2012
call and ask tto speak to korie, if you can't, I don't mind helping out.

~Sent using Tapatalk 2~

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
Your reply was a bit too much but it's fine, like Donkey said all you had to do was say it has nothing to do with the NYPD.
You'll be fine and I doubt action will be taken!

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
I would agree with Donkey on this one, just send them a reply saying that this doesn't have anything to do with nypd and maybe give them some proof, Good luck with this.

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
I just think it was unnecessary to include your life story like your name age and where you come from all you had to say was its nothing to do with nypd however you are 14 so you wouldn't know what to put I guess

Anyway any news on this?

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
Yeah, I guess it is a bit OTT. Never happened to me before so freaking out. xD Will keep updates.

Users who are viewing this thread