Google Project Loon

SkeetEmUp

Habpl.us
May 16, 2011
So today Google announced another one of there awesome projects "Loon"

We believe that it might actually be possible to build a ring of balloons, flying around the globe on the stratospheric winds, that provides Internet access to the earth below. It’s very early days, but we’ve built a system that uses balloons, carried by the wind at altitudes twice as high as commercial planes, to beam Internet access to the ground at speeds similar to today’s 3G networks or faster. As a result, we hope balloons could become an option for connecting rural, remote, and underserved areas, and for helping with communications after natural disasters.

The best part about this... The test is in my city and according to the map im in range (woooo)

Watch the video:

So what are your thoughts? Google is doing amazing things for the future technology with everything and I can't wait to see it in action.

Full blog:
Project page:

zMagenta

Posting Freak
Jul 15, 2011
So it'd be like a router in the sky? It seems good, would the speeds changing dramatically because of the location of the loon?

Can't wait to see the final result.

SkeetEmUp

Habpl.us
May 16, 2011
So it'd be like a router in the sky? It seems good, would the speeds changing dramatically because of the location of the loon?

Can't wait to see the final result.

They say it will be about as fast as 3g which here is way faster than any broadband speeds also they say when a loon move's another will go to the place to keep a constant range.

Majestic

Probably Habbotard
Apr 11, 2013
Oh googles making wise projects. I hope google will make free wifi for the whole earth soon. lmfao.

SkeetEmUp

Habpl.us
May 16, 2011
Oh googles making wise projects. I hope google will make free wifi for the whole earth soon. lmfao.

They come from "Google X" and its secret lab.

Google X, stylized as Google[x], is a secret facility run by located about a half mile from the corporate headquarters in . Work at the lab is overseen by , one of co-founders.
Reportedly worked on at the lab is a list of 100 projects pertaining to future technologies such as a , , that uses semi-supervised learning, enabling speech recognition and extraction of objects from video - for instance detecting if a is in a frame of video, and the .

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
I don't care about this wifi system, I am just waiting to get my hands on a set of Google's Glass

SkeetEmUp

Habpl.us
May 16, 2011
I don't care about this wifi system, I am just waiting to get my hands on a set of Google's Glass

But would you use google glass? It is like a siri like feature. You have to talk to your device in public which I would never do because you look like a riot douche. Hence why I never use siri.

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
But would you use google glass? It is like a siri like feature. You have to talk to your device in public which I would never do because you look like a riot douche. Hence why I never use siri.

Hmm, good point D:

Ok, I want the balloon internet now :)

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
Self driving cars are the step up to when people leave there lives in the hands of robots, what happens if you go under a tunnel and lose reception loool

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
I wouldn't be doing anything wrong as far as I know... So I wouldn't mind talking to my glasses in Public, hahaha.

No but this looks like a promising project.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
I wouldn't second guess some one if they told me Google feels bad for having so much money so they're literally spending it on random shit and that random shit is coming back profitable.
"How much did we lose this quarter?"
"We're up 7.5 billion, sir"
"GOD DAMN IT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SPEND MY MONEY IF I'M MAKING MORE THAN I CAN POSSIBLY SPEND. FUCK."
"Sir, you can always bec-"
"I KNOW BECOME IRON MAN WHATEVER. *Throws 2 billion at servant* MAKE IT HAPPEN"

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
"We're up 7.5 billion, sir"
"GOD DAMN IT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SPEND MY MONEY IF I'M MAKING MORE THAN I CAN POSSIBLY SPEND. FUCK."

Well they could start paying their taxes!

And also im suprised this hasnt been done before now, lets be honest its not that much of a genius idea

Users who are viewing this thread