English / Grammar Argument

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm having this argument with a friend, she's driving me MAD!

Okay, so this guy said: "I'm not perfect like hell.".

So Brooke thinks that that means "I'm not perfect, but hell is.".

Which I do not understand how the fuck she thinks like = opposite.

We had this big debate over it, and her mum agrees with her.

Am I just a wrong idiot, or is she?

I thought it would mean "I'm not perfect, and hell is not perfect either.".

Would be good if people said their opinion so I can prove her wrong or she can prove me wrong.

"I'm not perfect like tom" = I'm not perfect but tom is - is her opinion, but I'd say "I'm not perfect, nor is Tom". What do you think?

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
For me it means:

That he/she is not more perfect than hell. But hell isn't perfect either, just more perfect than him/her.

T

Toure

Lol Josh is totally right. I hate when i get in to these debates with people. he is saying he is not perfect and is comparing it to something else not perfect. Its a simley

Hejularr

Dec 12, 2011
I see it as she does. Take this as an example: "I'm not perfect like you" it is the same concept, `I'm not perfect, but you are` in other words. In this case `I'm not perfect, but hell is` if that makes any sense.

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
This is not English nor is it a debate, it's a stupid little argument.

"She is not perfect but she is saying Hell is?" Stupid if you ask me.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
If you were to put a comma in the correct place, like so:
I'm not perfect, like hell.
Then yes, it would mean that the person is not perfect, just like hell is not perfect.

However, I don't think the person that made this statement was actually trying to compare the word "perfect" with "hell", but rather trying to emphasize "I'm not perfect" with a cuss word.

As for your friend's argument, there's no way that she could be correct, as it does not say "unlike" hell, but rather "like".

T

Toure

If you were to put a comma in the correct place, like so:

Then yes, it would mean that the person is not perfect, just like hell is not perfect.

However, I don't think the person that made this statement was actually trying to compare the word "perfect" with "hell", but rather trying to emphasize "I'm not perfect" with a cuss word.

As for your friend's argument, there's no way that she could be correct, as it does not say "unlike" hell, but rather "like".
But you cant put a comma in speach... So she is saying im not perfect and the thing he is comparing is not perfect.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
When did this become we're? all your gay followers
It became "we're" when you included all his "gay followers" i guess. The way you keep insulting people when they started a calm argument with you, makes you seem immature tho. I would suggest avoiding that in the future.

Anywho, i have to agree with Rasta, most likely what was meant here.

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
"I'm not perfect like tom" = I'm not perfect but tom is - is her opinion, but I'd say "I'm not perfect, nor is Tom". What do you think?

Cant believe this is actually posted...

By the bit ive quoted i'd say that what shes wrote IS CORRECT, it may be because of where im from and my accent but i'd say "im not perfect like Rasta", your both correct id say but hers is more correct...seriously whats with all nubs and their grammar, its only the internet not like your meeting the queen or the prime minister, even then id speak to them how i do anyone else theyre nothing special

oh no look at all the mistakes i made in my paragraph

Zak

Posting Freak
Mar 12, 2011
Hell is Zak.

Zak is sexy. Obviously Brooke and her Mum should know that.
So your wrong i guess.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Shes right. You are saying I'm not perfect like hell meaning hell is perfect.
Did you fail English?
Like; having the same characteristics or qualities as; similar to: "they were like brothers".
She is saying that she is not perfect LIKE hell (meaning that hell is not perfect either). If she wanted to say that hell was perfect, she would have said "I am not perfect, UNLIKE hell".

iDevon

Solo Dolo
Dec 27, 2010
Did you fail English?

She is saying that she is not perfect LIKE hell (meaning that hell is not perfect either). If she wanted to say that hell was perfect, she would have said "I am not perfect, UNLIKE hell".
"She", did the fail Reading? ;(

Users who are viewing this thread