Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think it's better than my current editor but I will try it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
DZNXMQL.png

I thought I would take some time to write a thread to let you all know about a new code editor that I found a few months ago, I don't know exactly when the first build was released or how many of you actually know about it but their has been many threads asking for the best editor and I have never seen this mentioned. The software is created by Adobe, it is FREE, and it is Open Source. I know Adobe, Free, Open Source are words that don't go together often but it is true.

The code editor is written in HTML, CSS and JS compiled into a shell ( Or something like that ) You can edit the appearance of the editor via CSS and add your own additions with JS.

Some Features:

Live Preview
As you code CSS it automatically and instantly updates in the browser. If you change documents in the navigation of the editor it directs to the corresponding page in the browser and it also automatically refreshes the browser when you press save.

NNtKHAz.png

Inline / Quick Editing
This is a great feature that allows you to edit the CSS of elements without having to change documents / open a CSS file. If you have a HTML document set up correctly and have a stylesheet linked you can press "CTRL + E" when your cursor is on any HTML element, ie) a div, an input etc. This will open the corresponding css tag underneath in a box allowing you to edit that item.

O8x2kfF.png

Plugin Manager / Plugins
As any code editor should have it supports plugins which you can find in the link provided below, with a super fast and easy installation step. You simply get the zip link of GitHub and paste into the Plugin Installer on the editor, click install and it will be installed within a few seconds.

Wy6Q0IV.png

Color Preview
It shows a preview of colors when you hover over a HEX code.

SC3x2Gr.png

Project Management
In the left navigation pane you can open a specific folder onto the navigation, or numerous folder and then use whatever one you are working on by double clicking to bring into the Working Files

XxaMvCI.png

Overall Editor
Overall I don't even think you would need to edit the design as it already very attractive. It's also fast, and user friendly. Unlike notepad ++ this is very simple and not cluttered with tool bars. You have just what you need.

G7odIOS.png

Theme Support
Brackets also supports theme, you simple install then as an extension -
ZIP:

(Don't click the link, copy the address and install via the extension manager)

yprK6u8.png

Video Preview

IMO it is the best code editor I have used so far, If you want to use custom themes there is an extension within the extension list. And some other users I have shown this already have switched over to it as they also prefer it to the alternatives

Links
Remember it's out of Beta but still in development so still being worked

Main Website:
Download Page:
Extensions:

Remember: I didn't make this I just found it and am spreading the word.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Scanning through this thread and thinking 'wow, Sean you fucking legend' until I see the remember part at the bottom ;)

Anyhow, this looks so tidy and neat. They've definitely put a lot of effort into this. Also, the features (custom skins etc) makes this even more better. I'm actually debating whether to switch or not as I've gotten used to the syntax of notepad++

I might download, nice share :)

Edit/update: This is worth the download, loving how clean everything looks and how modern the overall feel of this is. If you even as little think about downloading this, do it! It's worth it.

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
I was also reluctant to make the switch as I was used to notepad ++ but when I gave it ago and tried it out for 1-2 days, I got hooked. I can't go back to notepad ++ now because it just feels wrong and old fashioned.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
This actually looks pretty sick, I'll give it a try and edit this post in a couple of hours with my actual opinion.

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
Tried it out but it was very limited, i'll stick to Coda until it gets more featured.
I beg to differ, In what way is it limited, I know it is behind in a few features but it's still got a large quantity of features, a large list of extensions and it's coded in JS so whatever you are missing you can add yourself.

DaLightz

See ya'll in the afterlife.
May 19, 2012
This looks real nice, I currently use Aptana Studio but I find it to bulky. Question is, does this support php aswell?

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
There is a theme extension you can install, that gives you all the themes you can get in notepad ++

Extension ZIP:

(Remember just to copy the link and paste into the extension installer - Don't click it)

yprK6u8.png

yes it supports, PHP and many other languages.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
There is a theme extension you can install, that gives you all the themes you can get in notepad ++

Extension ZIP:

(Remember just to copy the link and paste into the extension installer - Don't click it)

yprK6u8.png

yes it supports, PHP and many other languages.

Lmao wtf, I've copied the link and it doesn't work hmm

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
press F5 to refresh Brackets and try it again

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
Tried this awhile ago. Thing is horrible with files with a few thousand lines of code.

I have been using it for a few weeks now, and they are updating every 2-3 weeks, and so far files with a few thousand lines of code are working prefectly fine for example, Bootstrap css file with 6167 lines.

Puvy5WS.png

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been using this a while, still kind of getting used to the move from notepad++ to this. However, I just love the look of this over notepad++ easily. Anyway, thought I'd share that they have now updated the current version, here's the change log:

• Update Installed Extensions: Extension Manager can now update an installed extension without manually uninstalling the extension first.
  • New Status Bar Design: Visual updates to the status bar including new icons for JSLint validation.
  • Show/Hide JSLint Errors: When JSLint errors are present, click on the status icon in the status bar to show/hide the JSLint panel.
  • URL Hints in CSS: In an @import or url() statement, code hints will show relative paths to files in your project.
  • OK/Cancel Dialog Buttons on Windows: OK and Cancel buttons in dialogs now display in the correct order. Previously the order was reversed.
  • Architecture: jQuery, Bootstrap and LESS updates: Under the hood, Brackets is now using newer versions of jQuery, Bootstrap and LESS. There are no significant user-facing changes, but please do report bugs if you experience any problems.
Read more @

Stallone

[◣_◢]
Feb 4, 2012
I've been using this a while, still kind of getting used to the move from notepad++ to this. However, I just love the look of this over notepad++ easily. Anyway, thought I'd share that they have no updated the current version, here's the change log:

• Update Installed Extensions: Extension Manager can now update an installed extension without manually uninstalling the extension first.
  • New Status Bar Design: Visual updates to the status bar including new icons for JSLint validation.
  • Show/Hide JSLint Errors: When JSLint errors are present, click on the status icon in the status bar to show/hide the JSLint panel.
  • URL Hints in CSS: In an @import or url() statement, code hints will show relative paths to files in your project.
  • OK/Cancel Dialog Buttons on Windows: OK and Cancel buttons in dialogs now display in the correct order. Previously the order was reversed.
  • Architecture: jQuery, Bootstrap and LESS updates: Under the hood, Brackets is now using newer versions of jQuery, Bootstrap and LESS. There are no significant user-facing changes, but please do report bugs if you experience any problems.

Read more @

Thank's for the updates.

Keep it coming!

Users who are viewing this thread