Worth It? SATA SSD

Do you believe it's worth it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
As of writing this, the cheapest (non-sale) priced 1TB SATA SSD on Newegg that I could find (feel free to share a link to another if you find one cheaper) is $87.99 USD (~74.35), and the cheapest 3.5" 1TB SATA HDD is $21.99 (~€18.58)

Do you believe that the SSD is worth the difference?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Depends on what you're using it for, and how frequently you're accessing it. If it's just for storage, I'd consider the HDD. If you have your OS, or other things that requires fast read/write speeds (for better quality of life), then go for the SSD.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
There's so many variables here I'm not even going to bother, HDD unless SSD is needed. What's the application?

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
There's so many variables here I'm not even going to bother, HDD unless SSD is needed. What's the application?
No specific application, talking for general use.

Just wondering if people here think the performance increase you get from an SSD outweighs the price difference.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
No specific application, talking for general use.

Just wondering if people here think the performance increase you get from an SSD outweighs the price difference.
I absolutely think the performance difference is worth it, especially with how Windows 10 has been requiring more disk activity for no apparent reason except some kind of mystical overhead that can be solved by forcing old drivers into the system that get removed every update. The trouble of actually getting good performance from HDDs on Windows is certainly worth paying a few bucks to get an SSD and forget about your woes of the past. I know you didn't say you'd be using Windows directly on the drive but it's still worth it regardless, especially if the drive may eventually be used in another system. I also personally find SSDs more reliable, easier to manipulate and overall just fucking handy. Whereas extra HDDs you've got to treat them like a vase and make sure they're all nice and tucked away when not in use. I've got a few WD Red Pros that are all but useless on Windows now but work absolutely flawlessly in my NAS (Linux).

Users who are viewing this thread