Windows or Linux? (Webhost)

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
I'm using a shared-host at the moment (Namecheap and GoDaddy) for my companies (not hosting or anything like that). One of the companies, is getting pretty large and I'd like to run a forum that relates to it. I have an XenForo license and I installed it on Namecheap before for my Minecraft Server a while back. The only issue is, I had to contact NC to disable mod_security and I know it is dangerous to do that (so people say).

So my original question is, I'm looking to purchase a VPS/Large Dedicated Server for hosting the forum. What would be better for hosting Windows, or Linux?

NathanCarn3y

Leaving a legacy
Sep 14, 2016
I'm using a shared-host at the moment (Namecheap and GoDaddy) for my companies (not hosting or anything like that). One of the companies, is getting pretty large and I'd like to run a forum that relates to it. I have an XenForo license and I installed it on Namecheap before for my Minecraft Server a while back. The only issue is, I had to contact NC to disable mod_security and I know it is dangerous to do that (so people say).

So my original question is, I'm looking to purchase a VPS/Large Dedicated Server for hosting the forum. What would be better for hosting Windows, or Linux?
I always had use windows and I have 2 vps right now that are windows so I recommend wkndows.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
You only need a small VPS for XenForo. 1-2gb from OVH or DigitalOcean will suffice.

Personally I'd go Linux (Ubuntu) every time, but I'd go with what you're comfortable with unless you wish to learn more about Linux. It's a good skill to have nonetheless.

NathanCarn3y

Leaving a legacy
Sep 14, 2016
You only need a small VPS for XenForo. 1-2gb from OVH or DigitalOcean will suffice.

Personally I'd go Linux (Ubuntu) every time, but I'd go with what you're comfortable with unless you wish to learn more about Linux. It's a good skill to have nonetheless.
I'm not the best with Linux. I used maybe once or twice.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
I always had use windows and I have 2 vps right now that are windows so I recommend wkndows.
How's that an answer? You literally are just suggested windows because you use it.

Okay, thank you!
Linux is and will always be the best OS for webservers.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Thank you!

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016

If you're not used to Linux, it takes some time to learn it using terminals, but its easy googling to get most stuff fixed. I'd recommend going with server edition of Ubuntu.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread