Windows bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
Hi guys, I was wondering if any could help.

yesterday I decided to reset win10 to factory settings, windows done it’s thing blah blah blah . I got as far as the “select your region” page and couldn’t use my keyboard or mouse at all to select region and continue the OS installation.

After a while I decided to boot into “Advanced startup to fix some problems, maybe corrupt files or something. But I can’t even use any of the options, it asks for a password, I tried mine, doesn’t work, I left it blank, doesn’t work either. (Really hurting my brain now.)
I understand I can install windows OS on a USB and boot from there using the “Advanced Options”

but I can’t because I still need a password, can anybody help at all?

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
I ran into this issue and reinstalled windows with a USB stick and the ISO.
I can’t even do that. I go to “Advanced startup” > “Troubleshoot” and then when I go to click the option to install from a drive it won’t let me unless I enter a password; there was never a password set. That being said I just leave the box blank and click “next” & it doesn’t work.

I’be even tried to change my boot device in BIOS to the USB with the ISO installed and that won’t work either.

The PC is old as day, I’m not going to waste any more time on it.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
I can’t even do that. I go to “Advanced startup” > “Troubleshoot” and then when I go to click the option to install from a drive it won’t let me unless I enter a password; there was never a password set. That being said I just leave the box blank and click “next” & it doesn’t work.

I’be even tried to change my boot device in BIOS to the USB with the ISO installed and that won’t work either.

The PC is old as day, I’m not going to waste any more time on it.
You've gone into bios and selected the USB, what happens after? Are you selecting a temporary boot device or truly going into SETUP and changing boot device order (then pressing save and exit)?
Does it show a windows logo when attempting boot?
Does it just flash back to temporary boot device?
Is UEFI boot enabled? Is the ISO written in a UEFI only compatible format (GPT)? Or vice versa? UEFI may need to be disabled or the ISO re written in a NON-UEFI format (MBR).
Does the USB drive have an activity light, and is it blinking at any stage? Are you perhaps missing the "press any button to boot from USB..." message that may or may not show for 10 seconds before booting disk drive instead?
Are you using an ISO downloaded and then a image writer, or the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (Recommended)?
What size and brand of USB drive are you using? Some cheap drives are labeled bigger than they really are, and some don't work for USB boot at all.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
You've gone into bios and selected the USB, what happens after? Are you selecting a temporary boot device or truly going into SETUP and changing boot device order (then pressing save and exit)?
Does it show a windows logo when attempting boot?
Does it just flash back to temporary boot device?
Is UEFI boot enabled? Is the ISO written in a UEFI only compatible format (GPT)? Or vice versa? UEFI may need to be disabled or the ISO re written in a NON-UEFI format (MBR).
Does the USB drive have an activity light, and is it blinking at any stage? Are you perhaps missing the "press any button to boot from USB..." message that may or may not show for 10 seconds before booting disk drive instead?
Are you using an ISO downloaded and then a image writer, or the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (Recommended)?
What size and brand of USB drive are you using? Some cheap drives are labeled bigger than they really are, and some don't work for USB boot at all.
I was going into setup yes and setting the USB as the primary boot device, UEFI boot is also enabled. No the USB doesn’t show any light or blinking.

about missing a press a button at any stage I don’t even have an option to do that, I did use the Windows Media Creation Tool. The brand of the USB I don’t know, my brother gave me it; however it most definitely is 8GB.

Even after all of this and double checking and going over what you said to ensure I’m not missing anything, no matter what happens every time I boot I get stuck on the “Select Region” page with no option to use mouse or keyboard (arrow keys, tab included) to select region and click next.

Even in safe mode, the mouse and keyboard doesn’t work, but it does work in the BIOS and I also know it works because I tried it on my brothers computer so I know it’s not a peripheral problem.

The computer is old, like really old so I’m not fighting with it anymore, every dog has its day.

I have since ordered a new PC which should serve me well, but nonetheless your advice and response is appreciated so thanks @Macemore

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
I was going into setup yes and setting the USB as the primary boot device, UEFI boot is also enabled. No the USB doesn’t show any light or blinking.

about missing a press a button at any stage I don’t even have an option to do that, I did use the Windows Media Creation Tool. The brand of the USB I don’t know, my brother gave me it; however it most definitely is 8GB.

Even after all of this and double checking and going over what you said to ensure I’m not missing anything, no matter what happens every time I boot I get stuck on the “Select Region” page with no option to use mouse or keyboard (arrow keys, tab included) to select region and click next.

Even in safe mode, the mouse and keyboard doesn’t work, but it does work in the BIOS and I also know it works because I tried it on my brothers computer so I know it’s not a peripheral problem.

The computer is old, like really old so I’m not fighting with it anymore, every dog has its day.

I have since ordered a new PC which should serve me well, but nonetheless your advice and response is appreciated so thanks @Macemore
Oh I completely missed the part where it gets stuck with no keyboard available, it seems like the drivers for the USB / Motherboard aren't in the ISO by default, it's possible to sideload drivers if you're adventerous but like you say, it's a really old computer (which explains why the USB drivers aren't in the OOBX)

Sorry for reviving the thread! You should ping an Admin so they can close the thread for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread