Why is it so hard leaving retros?

Joopie

Sep 13, 2011
Hé ho! Long time no seen.

For me there is a difference in leaving retros. You've the retro "development" community and the actually playing a retro.

I used to do both; developing and playing. When I was playing a retro I seriously was addictive to it. The main reason is that you don't want to miss out on shit that happend on the retro. You had your e-friends too and had to maintain your contacts. Stop playing a retro mainly means giving up your e-friends. What helped for me was acting like a dick and "destroy" everything you'd like about playing. Took me a few weeks but I am "clean" for 5 years. Playing a retro, certainly on later age, has a serious impact on your real life. I'm glad I stopped and feeling a shit ton better.

Then the developing part. I can't tell I'm completly free'd from it. I still visit DevBest's counterpart regularly. However I'm not actively developming anything for it. When I stopped playing a retro it also made me care less about developing for it. And just posting random comments, reading the not so active threads, has less impact on my social life. I don't really mind it.

Do what feels good for you, but being too addicted to it is not good. And by addicted I mean, your real life is suffering from it.

Users who are viewing this thread