Why does it seem best to only focus on yourself and your own personal growth?

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
Why does it seem better to only focus on yourself and your own personal growth rather than to help others grow, who will in turn be able to contribute more to society?

Example:
The situation can be, someone asks me to teach them how to patch holes in concrete/blacktop.
For the sake of the thought experiment consider that there are two options. Option one being, I can decline to help the person in question learn this new skill so that I have more time to focus on my own skill-set. Option two being, I can choose to help this person learn the basics needed to start repairing concrete, blacktop, etc.

Now on first inspection it seems best for myself if I just keep focusing on my own progression and my own skill-set; the less time I lose helping others, the further and further my own knowledge grows.

However, consider option two. In teaching someone else the rudiments of repairing concrete/blacktop I have now started a chain-reaction that may not be as easily foreseeable as the benefits of focusing on only myself.

In teaching someone else this skill-set there will be a ripple effect of change that is far greater than could have ever been initiated by just my own skill-set. Now that someone else posseses these skills perhaps there will be less potholes around town, a new company can arise giving more job opportunities, and perhaps this person will continue to pass on the skill-set. Maybe everyone eventually knows how to repair concrete through this chain effect. Now there is less damage to the infrastructure of the town, people have to repair cars less, the economy may grow due to an increase in people with a valuable skill-set, etc.

In helping others it seems to have a longer lasting and more widespread effect than could have been possible if it were just me repairing concrete.

What are your thoughts? Is it best to focus on yourself and your own personal growth or is it better to assist others when possible and help spread knowledge/skills/etc?
Edit because i miss-clicked and submitted lol

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
There's no reason why you cannot do both at the same time. By doing 1 you build up a reputation as being a respectable teacher and people will seek your advice and tell other potential customers, employers and so forth you're a good helpful person. You also build network by doing #1 which will help you a lot.

It's best to combine them both so that you build into a successful future without tearing others down and at the same time, become a good leader.
I agree; I've taken the stance of selfish-selflessness, by being selfish for healthy reasons I am bettering myself to be more equipped to help and assist others. It doesn't go over well lol. People get very agitated and hostile when you stop seeking to meet their unrealistic expectations.

BMX

Apr 16, 2018
There's no reason why you cannot do both at the same time. By doing 1 you build up a reputation as being a respectable teacher and people will seek your advice and tell other potential customers, employers and so forth you're a good helpful person. You also build network by doing #1 which will help you a lot.

It's best to combine them both so that you build into a successful future without tearing others down and at the same time, become a good leader.

I agree with Chris it has to be like a cycle and of course you'll eventually build upon a successful future with proactively the skill most people lack the ability to be a good leader.

Users who are viewing this thread