Where to begin learning networking?

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
Any recommendations?

If you say, "google it". Than ill thank you ahead of time. Thanks

I'm asking here because I want to know what you used to learn so I can cut the bullshit in my learning path and be as time efficient as possible.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
If you're willing to pay, TestOut is a great place. Online simulations, and you get a certification. I believe it costs quite a penny tho, but that is where I am certified (and sitting in a college class giving this certification currently)

yoyok

Apr 24, 2013
I advise you to look on some online library for Networking stuff.
If you're willing to pay, TestOut is a great place. Online simulations, and you get a certification. I believe it costs quite a penny tho, but that is where I am certified (and sitting in a college class giving this certification currently)
This is a good method to learn it. I don't agree with school. How can a human being with a limited brain and limited capacity learn you everything? Why you want to go to school, if you can learn more on the internet then a limited brain from only your teacher. You've a mobile in your hand to browse the web and learn much more.

@Mikee It's necessary that you have dedication for it. Read a lot from online Network websites, to learn fast and practise it.
If you taught yourself Networking, that's the perfect way to remember everything you've learned.

Last edited:

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
I advise you to look on some online library for Networking stuff.

This is a good method to learn it. I don't agree with school. How can a human being with a limited brain and limited capacity learn you everything? Why you want to go to school, if you can learn more on the internet then a limited brain from only your teacher. You've a mobile in your hand to browse the web and learn much more.

@Mikee It's necessary that you have dedication for it. Read a lot from online Network websites, to learn fast and practise it.
If you taught yourself Networking, that's the perfect way to remember everything you've learned.
Much harder to get the big bucks without the degree and certifications (ie - CCNA)

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Much harder to get the big bucks without the degree and certifications (ie - CCNA)
This was going to be exactly my point. You do not go to college, just to learn things and if you do it's because you cannot learn from the internet you need hands on and someone to help answer the questions that you cannot find in the source you are reviewing and don't know how to word it good enough to find a solution.

You want to ultimately achieve an accredited certification or degree (Heart still goes out to those ITT - Tech students whom spent money, and now their degrees and certifications are creditably worthless). Myself, I am going for 2 certifications and a degree. I will have both certifications at the end of next semester and will have less than 2 years and will have my associates.

Learning from the internet is great, that is where I started. You only know what you resource by yourself though - and all information is passed down / transferred by other peoples brains. It is sourced on the internet but having the opportunity to meet with someone once or twice a week who has been in the industry for x amount of years and have experienced it first on (A lot of professors) , you can really pick their brain about not only your information you seek but as well as important information about REAL WORLD situations.

Best of luck to you.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Thread cleaned. This threads is about options where you can start learning networking, not whether having a college degree is good or not (hint: it is). You guys can discuss that elsewhere.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I learnt the basics in school and college, I took an interest so I went into it further at Cisco and completed a small course there on networking. It was good to learn about the different types of networks as well as less effective ways which aren't used as much anymore. If you're interested then the online content as well as purchasing books should help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread