When looking for a server (retro), what do you look for?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
What could be provided via the UI (on FindRetros) that would make the process more easy for you to decide, without having to visit the site?

Currently, I think the following would be useful:
- Gallery (e.g. screenshots)
- Change Log (see what's going on)

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
An online counter, e.g how many users that are currently active on the hotel.
Of course, this would require some sort of API to be setup for both FR and the retro itself.
Just a thought though, but this could easily be manipulated if it was.

Jeffrey

Devbest Indian Tech Support
FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
Something Like HabboCloud (Dutch Retro Review Site)

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
Honestly, user count and server type (for Habbo anyway). Other than that, they all look pretty much the same. A cool way to shower user count would be nice (similar to Minecraft), just have retros provide some sort of API response. The only other thing I'd consider is some sort of "health" or "stability" - Some metric that shows how long it's been open/how active it is (could help smaller hotels which are stable/consistent).

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
An online counter, e.g how many users that are currently active on the hotel.
Of course, this would require some sort of API to be setup for both FR and the retro itself.
Just a thought though, but this could easily be manipulated if it was.
Personally I'm concerned about the latter. I mean, it's still retro's. Not the most "honest" community. I think this would be widely abused, and it'd be hard to check.
Something Like HabboCloud (Dutch Retro Review Site)
It's German, you prick.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
I think this would be widely abused, and it'd be hard to check.
I think this is the obvious response. My opposition to this would be, they can just as easily fake it on their website as well which most people will look at anyway. It just makes it more convenient having it shown on the actual server list. I think it would be pretty obvious if a retro is abusing it significantly. I also think a lot of people are honest, maybe more than you think, and it would be a shame to not have support for features like this because a couple can't be trusted. It's worked (and can be equally abused) for Minecraft, so I don't see the harm really. It's no better/worse than the few retros that fake user counts on their site.

Wickd

The first member of the Knights of the Pink Table
Jan 15, 2013
Every hotel should have their own page, where they can post images and larger description(on their own page;describing their economy and game overall like we have here on devbest) that way u can still do low retro ad space on the rankings page but still keep everyone happy.Maybe do a fr rating system ( where fr team would rate the hotel on a scale from 1/10) although that'd be hard 2 do idk if the staff team is fit to rate retros(as they're not in the community).

*I'd love to see you give top 3 hotels some kind of special holders like gold,silver and bronze frames?Or a badge i don't know ( maybe use a special badge on a few retros that r like findretros recommended or certified as decent to use)

Last edited:

Jeffrey

FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
Personally I'm concerned about the latter. I mean, it's still retro's. Not the most "honest" community. I think this would be widely abused, and it'd be hard to check.

It's German, you prick.
OI ITS NOT MY FAULT ITS POSTED ON A DUTCH RETRO FORUM AND I DIDN'T BOTHER TO CHECK THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.
my bad brah
ONT: I mean, like it would be cool regarding Online Users and all, but how would we know it is legit users? You can easily manipulate the date.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Lets keep this ontopic guys, for other topics please open up new threads or contact someone from FindRetros Staff. Don't discuss or name FR clones, this is considered advertising.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
I'm not sure what's trying to be achieved with the changes to FindRetros and from the other 2 threads regarding it's changes no one else does either. I'm curious as to what you think is wrong with the current FindRetros?

In terms of choosing - when I originally used FR to look for a retro it was pretty simple - I didn't care about anything but for which had a lot of users online and was going to be busy and I would imagine that goes for a lot of people searching for a retro. Factoring in that there's probably just 3 retros which dominate the list I really think the information shown will be inconsequential to someones choice. If they're looking for a quieter, smaller community they'll look further down and if not they'll choose the top few.

Personally I think all FindRetros needs to do is concentrate on displaying as many retros per page as possible, then make it as quick as possible for the audience to get to that hotel. The only addition that would be useful, which is being rebutted by every FR mod for sub par reasoning, is an online count.

Silver

Aug 17, 2016
Could do gender votes which m/f like this hotel and etc or that which FB friends or likes has the most. For location server info for users to be with their language.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
Showing the server language would be useful and adding on to Brandon's idea, when they first add their hotel, do a whois check and get the registration date of the domain as that'd give you a more accurate age of the hotel.

Jeffrey

FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
Showing the server language would be useful and adding on to Brandon's idea, when they first add their hotel, do a whois check and get the registration date of the domain as that'd give you a more accurate age of the hotel.
What if you sell the domain, and someone wants to open a hotel under the same name?

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
What if you sell the domain, and someone wants to open a hotel under the same name?
If it's the same hotel, just under new management, all they'd need is to get the FindRetros account from the previous owner, and the date would be the same.

Basically:
a - Bought the domain new -> makes FR account -> FR gets registration date
b - Bought domain from previous owner -> gets FR account -> registration date stays the same
c - Bought domain from previous owner -> makes new FR account -> FR gets registration date, but it'll be the same as a

The only thing this may not account for is if you transfer the domain, and start a new hotel (no previous users, room, ect).
That is easy to detect by not getting the "created on" date, but the "updated on" date.

Again, this will only get that information when the FR post is created, after that it won't ever check it again.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
It would be cool to see some FindRetros/DevBest integration, can't really think of what exactly at the moment, I'll try to come up with some ideas.

Jeffrey

FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
It would be cool to see some FindRetros/DevBest integration, can't really think of what exactly at the moment, I'll try to come up with some ideas.
Connect your FindRetro Account to manage your pages from Devbest itself xD?
Get your punishments sent to your inbox
Automatically report a hotel from findretros.com and get it either sent to the site itself or findretros.

Jerry

not rly active lol
Jul 8, 2013
Maybe do a fr rating system ( where fr team would rate the hotel on a scale from 1/10)
I have a feeling people will be biased when rating for a retro. Like people can just automatically rate the retro as a 1 for no valid reason regardless if the hotel is bad or not. There are people out there who hate retro owners, so. =S

Wickd

The first member of the Knights of the Pink Table
Jan 15, 2013
I have a feeling people will be biased when rating for a retro. Like people can just automatically rate the retro as a 1 for no valid reason regardless if the hotel is bad or not. There are people out there who hate retro owners, so. =S
I meant findretros team.

Users who are viewing this thread