Retro Whats An Better CMS?

Feb 1, 2014
We use web sockets, which is better than ajax.
@FrancisJoseph

Well yes... and no.

It depends on the situation and why you need it.
For example, you should be utilising XHR if you have a CMS unless otherwise said due to API pattern(s) and coding etiquette.

If you know that you're going to make a-lot of requests and need to keep content updated in real-time then yes WS would be the route forward.
I.E You are running a trading website and have to keep asset values updated in real-time and ensure trades go through with no delay.
I say "no delay" since polling is normally limited to one second (500ms at a push but the response time is going to add another 1s/500ms or more onto it by default).

Honestly every cms i have seen is all php, i would love to see one that updates in real time without refreshing.
Not sure why you would want to do this unless you were developing a web application of some sort.

Nicholas

Just another user:)
Mar 18, 2015
Not sure why you would want to do this unless you were developing a web application of some sort.
Well in my opinion it makes your hotel look professional, but if you do not think so thats you. :)

We use web sockets, which is better than ajax.
@FrancisJoseph
cool, i personally do not like web sockets, but it's you. I like ajax because it is simple, easy, and it is secure.

Zodiak

recovering crack addict
Nov 18, 2011
Well in my opinion it makes your hotel look professional, but if you do not think so thats you. :)

cool, i personally do not like web sockets, but it's you. I like ajax because it is simple, easy, and it is secure.
My CMS is setup to use web sockets for fast responses and has an XHR fallback on everything for if you're not connected to the websocket server :)

Feb 1, 2014

I just explained the difference for you. It's not a matter of opinion...

My CMS is setup to use web sockets for fast responses and has an XHR fallback on everything for if you're not connected to the websocket server :)

This is a good concept but you shouldn't fall back to xhr-polling, I'm assuming you're using socket.io right? set the transport(s). ;)

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013

This is a good concept but you shouldn't fall back to xhr-polling, I'm assuming you're using socket.io right? set the transport(s). ;)
Man Francis, you should be one of the heavy Node developers in the scene with all of your knowledge :p

Zodiak

recovering crack addict
Nov 18, 2011

It uses the web-sockets when available but if the server for the websockets is down, the websocket/xhr server, it'll use post/get API's instead of everything not working without the websocket server being up :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread