What was the history of retros?

Resubmitted

Sep 13, 2015
I have a few questions. Hoping someone could help me out.

1) What was the first ever retro? I remember Force Hotel & Open hotel were extremely successful, but was there any other hotel before that? Like oldskool?

2) First every roleplay? I've been hearing it was Rasta's Habbo City or Aaron's HabboRP.

3) Oldest hotel ever? I heard HabRockz lasted for about 4 years with minimal downtime, but Habboon/Fresh Hotel is on course to beat that record.

4) Most legendary retro developers? I recon it's either Rasta (phpretro), Sledmore, Aaron or Meth0d.

5) Estimated number of retros online at the moment? HR claimed there was only about 35 operating retros on retrolist, and about 12 that are not on retros list (foreign sites).

6) Biggest retro ever? (I recon it's either Habboon or Fresh Hotel, but keep in mind they are very close with usercount and there are also Swedish and French hotels with thousands of users out there)

Opinions? Just thought it would be interesting to discuss.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Most of those questions could most likely be found on Google or another forum. There was this one old school I used to play it ran a server like Debbo/Bloodline, I think it may of been Force? But I'm not 100% sure.

The only real developer that is still around today is @Sledmore, even so - he quit developing Plus. Habbo Retros are on a downfall, just like Habbo itself.

EDIT: Another big (and good) developer that isn't recognized often is @Damien.

Owen

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah I remember Open Hotel being very successful in 2009. Had a lot of problems sometimes especially when people could purchase VIP by using fake debit cards details cus at the time their donation system was pretty weak.

First ever hotel, not sure I was only 8 or 9 when i played open hotel tbf

oldest hotel, force

man the legend has to be aaron nd sledmore but obvs like blasteh said, damien is a really good developing I've been on some of his retros and they're impressive what he can do. The retro developing is down to him rly if he continues with it.

im sure there is more than 40-50 retros, most are just unknown since only 12 of them are popular enough.

biggest is force or boon with users yeah, peakrp currently largest rp (overtook bubbo) with users. saw them on like 190 when they did an awards show. Can see them reaching atleast 250 in the summer holidays.

justbanterdev

Jun 23, 2017
I remember logging into force and being rich and loving it, tbh i don't think hotels are going to go well with sulake doing takedowns, they are banning users for fraud and losing them to habbo retros.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
I remember logging into force and being rich and loving it, tbh i don't think hotels are going to go well with sulake doing takedowns, they are banning users for fraud and losing them to habbo retros.
Sulake isn't even shutting down retros anymore.. it was costing them more money then gaining

Paypal

Freelance developer
Apr 1, 2017
Force was like one of the best retros i have ever been on but like @Blasteh said they are losing money so they cannot really go and shut down retros as they will lose even more money

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I don't think Sulake have ever taken a retro down by taking them to court. They took Aaron to court for emulator development and distribution as he was making a profit. Totally different.

Wickd

The first member of the Knights of the Pink Table
Jan 15, 2013
OFT *Habbo is still recovering from their "sexual predation" scandal back in 2012 and the CEO change as well.Sulake is a big company they make money off their investors, so i don't think they're losing money.Multiple sources say that current Habbo is back to 80% investor income before the big 40% drop in 2012.So i think they're good
ONT* I think it was Macklebee and some folk from "R*** Z***".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread