Website Design Help

BitchesLoveCake

Dec 8, 2014
I've come to the conclusion i lack the knowledge and inspiration to design a website myself. I've done a little research upon the interwebs and came across this template. I'm personally thinking about purchasing it and using it for myself. I was wondering what people think of this design or if they have any others they could share :p. ;)

Website-

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Positives:
I like the layout, I love the idea of scrolling down
I like how all the information is on 1 page but at the same time it makes it feel like its too much at once to the readers

Negatives:
Too much yellow
Not much creativity on this theme
Not completely original

Additions that could be made:
Upon scrolling javascript allows the page to look like its folding, flipping, turning or rotating
You could tell us what exactly you are trying to make a website for

BitchesLoveCake

Dec 8, 2014
Positives:
I like the layout, I love the idea of scrolling down
I like how all the information is on 1 page but at the same time it makes it feel like its too much at once to the readers

Negatives:
Too much yellow
Not much creativity on this theme
Not completely original

Additions that could be made:
Upon scrolling javascript allows the page to look like its folding, flipping, turning or rotating
You could tell us what exactly you are trying to make a website for
Always a pleasure reading your feedback. I'm needing to create a portfolio for myself. I'm a freelance AV Technician and also a DJ/Producer. I'm just wanting a site to showcase my work but also inform the viewer about myself etc. I can't code to save my life i keep wanting to learn but i haven't got much spare time. In the end i'll probably pay a designer to design one for me, ain't bothered about the price because this is the site that will give me work :p. Thanks for the feedback.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Always a pleasure reading your feedback. I'm needing to create a portfolio for myself. I'm a freelance AV Technician and also a DJ/Producer. I'm just wanting a site to showcase my work but also inform the viewer about myself etc. I can't code to save my life i keep wanting to learn but i haven't got much spare time. In the end i'll probably pay a designer to design one for me, ain't bothered about the price because this is the site that will give me work :p. Thanks for the feedback.
Okay so you're creating a portfolio for DJ Productions.. I think this would work well just change the yellow and add more blend, transparency might look nice.

Reason why you want to avoid the color yellow:
In our minds yellow can mean a few things while it can mean Joyful it also suggests negative things, and having a website that is about you , you should avoid large areas of yellow :)

Negatives of yellow include: impatience, criticism and cowardice.

Source on color yellow meaning:

Just incase you want to find a better color ^_^

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
I agree that this template isn't really original. The too much yellow means they did something right, because you'd usually have a maximum of one or two brand colors.

As for the

"Upon scrolling javascript allows the page to look like its folding, flipping, turning or rotating"

I disagree. Depending on what you're doing and how you do it, I recommend you to avoid or totally just don't scroll jack (using JavaScript to hijack the scrolling). It's bad UX design. Think of how people should get to your information. If a user has to wait for a transition to go through on scroll, or simply doesn't scroll as the user is used to on his/her OS, there's a high chance that they'll leave the site in no time.

Okay so you're creating a portfolio for DJ Productions.. I think this would work well just change the yellow and add more blend, transparency might look nice.

Reason why you want to avoid the color yellow:
In our minds yellow can mean a few things while it can mean Joyful it also suggests negative things, and having a website that is about you , you should avoid large areas of yellow :)

Negatives of yellow include: impatience, criticism and cowardice.

Source on color yellow meaning:

Just incase you want to find a better color ^_^
Yellow doesn't really mean anything negative. It quite means something is "on sale" or "discount". I agree the yellow is quite harsh, but when it comes with branding you'll have to think of what you're going to sell to people.

I'd suggest using blue or green. If your brand is monochrome, you can choose a more neutral color (Don't have to be monochrome, but you can add accent colouring).

Users who are viewing this thread