Show DevBest [Web Development and Photography] Portfolio V2.0

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
So as some of you might know I had a web development and photography portfolio website. I made it when I really started getting into web design and really liked it at the time and was quite proud of it. How ever as I looked at it more, looked at the code which was sloppily done and looked at other peoples portfolios I started to really dislike it so decided to make a new one.

Please let me know if you experience any issues or find any bugs or just have suggestions. I am still patching the mobile version. It works but it could be better.

You can find it here:

What has improved?
  • Cleaner UI
  • Better code
  • More information
  • Better colors and fonts [In my opinion and yes, the font of the text in the red section is the same as yours @Sysode ;)]
  • Improved Mobile Menu

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
10-14-14_04:28:41.png

So you know
  • 90% of all HTML5
  • 87% of all CSS3
  • 15% of all JavaScript
  • 3% of all C#
  • 50% of all Photoshop

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Knew someone would say something about it and true. It doesn't really make sense and probably will change it or remove it in the future. It was stated that those skills were roughly what I was capable of.

Last edited:

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
You could take the percentages in a number of different ways, @TheCheater I don't think anyone thinks of these progress bars as the percentage of the specific programming language known such as 50% of all HTML5. I personally like to think of it as a graphical display of where I dedicate my skill sets. Meaning the higher the percentage, the more focus on that specific skill set, and yes the percentages are just a rough numerical display of how people like to divide their specific skills up. So the percentages should be more 'round off' such as 25%, 50% etc, not specific percentages such as 87% as these are just random numbers with no mathimatical background. So you don't have to remove them, I would suggest that you just generalise them to show how you divide up your skills between the different languages and software skills @Magic.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
You could take the percentages in a number of different ways, @TheCheater I don't think anyone thinks of these progress bars as the percentage of the specific programming language known such as 50% of all HTML5. I personally like to think of it as a graphical display of where I dedicate my skill sets. Meaning the higher the percentage, the more focus on that specific skill set, and yes the percentages are just a rough numerical display of how people like to divide their specific skills up. So the percentages should be more 'round off' such as 25%, 50% etc, not specific percentages such as 87% as these are just random numbers with no mathimatical background. So you don't have to remove them, I would suggest that you just generalise them to show how you divide up your skills between the different languages and software skills @Magic.
That's a good way of looking at them, thanks for mate.

Mega

Posting Freak
Mar 23, 2013
I don't like the copyright follows everywhere. I think u should fixed a place or remove it. Its abit annoying. Just my opinion though

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Looking nice, better than the previous anyway. First reaction though as woah the page is trippin'

In all seriousness... It's nice but a few small things like what @Mega said, the fixed copyright is kind of annoying, just keep it at the bottom of the page and not the screen. Also, the first page is where impressions are made but it feels you're lacking any real content at first, maybe try adding some stuff about you and some descriptive recent works so people know what they are looking at.

As for the whole % thing with how much you know, it's kind of a personal preference. I know it ALWAYS causes debates when people use it, some like it and some don't. However, like others have said it's not to be taken precisely but more of an indicator of what you know and what you don't - do whatever you feels best for that.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the feed back guys,
I do agree with the footer now that I look at it and will work on it.

@Sysode The page is trippin? :confused:

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the feed back guys,
I do agree with the footer now that I look at it and will work on it.

@Sysode The page is trippin? :confused:
Yeah, on load there are a tonne of animations all going off at once and it's just a bit much to be looking at imo. Limit the animations to what you want to draw attention to most.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, on load there are a tonne of animations all going off at once and it's just a bit much to be looking at imo. Limit the animations to what you want to draw attention to most.
I liked it haha, since it sort of assembles the page in front of you.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
I liked it haha, since it sort of assembles the page in front of you.
Perhaps you should have a simpler kinda of "formation" animation, like make them all fade in, or all rotate or something. Not different animations all over the place.

Also, the arrows in the slider on the home page is missing arrows. It's just a circle, and I wasn't sure if that was intended, or if you simply forgot :lol:

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Perhaps you should have a simpler kinda of "formation" animation, like make them all fade in, or all rotate or something. Not different animations all over the place.

Also, the arrows in the slider on the home page is missing arrows. It's just a circle, and I wasn't sure if that was intended, or if you simply forgot :lol:
I have structured animations. Text fades in and the menu and stuff slides in. Meh, I could remove it.

Also the slider navigation is meant to be just circles :l The arrows looked ugly.

EDIT: I have removed copyright on all pages but the homepage since it's unnecessary to have it on all of them.

Tumblr blog implemented. Might upgrade to something else in the future when I have more time on my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread