[Urgent] New Ransomware Windows Exploit

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
Hello,

As most of you have heard, there is a new ransomware windows exploit that has been abused and used infecting 70,000+ computers worldwide and also taking down the UK NHS and Telefonica. During this infection, its been noticed that it abuses Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012 via the SMBv1 server. A lot of desktop computers and servers around the world have been and are currently being infected at the moment, including my personal server.

First and foremost, if you run on the above operating systems, it's highly recommended to run Windows Updates and then the following within Windows PowerShell.
Code:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 0 -Force

This should protect you against this malicious software/attack.

What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a very dangerous type of malware that stops you from using your PC. It holds your PC or files for "ransom". There are different types of Ransomware. However, all of them will prevent you from using your PC normally, and they will all ask you to do something like pay money (a “ransom”) to get access to your PC or files. They can target any PC users, whether it’s a home computer, endpoints in an enterprise network, or servers used by a government agency or healthcare provider.

Ransomware can:
  • Prevent you from accessing Windows.
  • Encrypt files so you can't use them.
  • Stop certain apps from running (like your web browser).
Personal screenshot from my VNC of my server:

* If you're currently infected like my server is, I'm not sure how to remove the infection. However, it's advised you follow the steps above to prevent the attack. Please also keep updated with this thread in regards to it:

Last edited:

Kak

Posting Freak
Apr 21, 2017
im luckily not affected and never have been affected in my life with a virus like this or have my email targeted so i guess im lucky.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016

just get some decent russian protection
also this is the only one capable of detecting a metasploit evasion and many others

NathanCarn3y

Leaving a legacy
Sep 14, 2016
Hello,

As most of you have heard, there is a new ransomware windows exploit that has been abused and used infecting 70,000+ computers worldwide and also taking down the UK NHS and Telefonica. During this infection, its been noticed that it abuses Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012 via the SMBv1 server. A lot of desktop computers and servers around the world have been and are currently being infected at the moment, including my personal server.

First and foremost, if you run on the above operating systems, it's highly recommended to run Windows Updates and then the following within Windows PowerShell.
Code:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 0 -Force

This should protect you against this malicious software/attack.

What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a very dangerous type of malware that stops you from using your PC. It holds your PC or files for "ransom". There are different types of Ransomware. However, all of them will prevent you from using your PC normally, and they will all ask you to do something like pay money (a “ransom”) to get access to your PC or files. They can target any PC users, whether it’s a home computer, endpoints in an enterprise network, or servers used by a government agency or healthcare provider.

Ransomware can:
  • Prevent you from accessing Windows.
  • Encrypt files so you can't use them.
  • Stop certain apps from running (like your web browser).
Personal screenshot from my VNC of my server:

* If you're currently infected like my server is, I'm not sure how to remove the infection. However, it's advised you follow the steps above to prevent the attack. Please also keep updated with this thread in regards to it:
I seen something about this on the news. Thanks for letting everyone know.

Users who are viewing this thread