[TUT] Prevent Direct IP IIS Flood using CloudFlare

Johno

:: xHosts :: www.xhosts.uk
Sep 12, 2011
Hey everyone

I have had many customers contacting me because of others in the community or ex technical staff on their hotels flooding the IIS directly as they had knowledge of the servers IP address. This may help people that are using providers who will not provide support on such issues or may charge a fee to change an IP address.

This will work on any version of IIS

Firstly you need to download IP Address and Domain Restrictions this can be done via the Microsoft website or using web platform installer, in this tutorial I will use web platform installer

Depending on your server providers DDOS protection by using this method you may not need a TCP proxy

3edb3881tut_1.png

You need to choose this option

46f642e3tut_2.png

Once this has installed, return to IIS main page and select the IP address and Domain Restrictions icon

8a98a823tut_3.png

Once you have opened this tab, right click and choose Add Allow Entry

2ea6a866tut_4.png

Now you can begin to add IP addresses to the allowed list, as this tutorial is showing you how to allow CloudFlare IP addresses only I will show you how to add these ranges, thew same method applies to both IPv4 and IPv6

You can find the latest IP ranges list here on the CloudFlare website

You add the IP address and the number after the slash into the Mask or Prefix box, you do this for each range from the CloudFlare website

14cbed98tut_5.png

Next you need to Configure IIS to enforce the allowed list

2b78021ctut_6.png

You need to select the Edit Feature Settings option on the right side of the IP and Domain Restrictions window you have open

84a0fa7etut_7.png

You need to now set the Access for unspecified clients to Deny

420c7347tut_8.png

You need to set the Deny action type to Abort or the connections will still be allowed to make an attempted connection making this useless

If you need to still access your server locally add 127.0.0.1 to the allowed list and visit instead of

This will not stop all DDOS attacks but can help prevent direct IIS flooding and possibly remove the need for a TCP proxy too.

This can also be achieved using the Windows firewall to block all connections apart from those in the allowed list as stated by @yoyok - If using this method be very careful as incorrect changes to the firewall can leave you unable to connect to the server and some providers may not assist in helping you undo the changes to the firewall.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Hey everyone

I have had many customers contacting me because of others in the community or ex technical staff on their hotels flooding the IIS directly as they had knowledge of the servers IP address. This may help people that are using providers who will not provide support on such issues or may charge a fee to change an IP address.

This will work on any version of IIS

Firstly you need to download IP Address and Domain Restrictions this can be done via the Microsoft website or using web platform installer, in this tutorial I will use web platform installer

Depending on your server providers DDOS protection by using this method you may not need a TCP proxy

3edb3881tut_1.png

You need to choose this option

46f642e3tut_2.png

Once this has installed, return to IIS main page and select the IP address and Domain Restrictions icon

8a98a823tut_3.png

Once you have opened this tab, right click and choose Add Allow Entry

2ea6a866tut_4.png

Now you can begin to add IP addresses to the allowed list, as this tutorial is showing you how to allow CloudFlare IP addresses only I will show you how to add these ranges, thew same method applies to both IPv4 and IPv6

You can find the latest IP ranges list here on the CloudFlare website

You add the IP address and the number after the slash into the Mask or Prefix box, you do this for each range from the CloudFlare website

14cbed98tut_5.png

Next you need to Configure IIS to enforce the allowed list

2b78021ctut_6.png

You need to select the Edit Feature Settings option on the right side of the IP and Domain Restrictions window you have open

84a0fa7etut_7.png

You need to now set the Access for unspecified clients to Deny

420c7347tut_8.png

You need to set the Deny action type to Abort or the connections will still be allowed to make an attempted connection making this useless

If you need to still access your server locally add 127.0.0.1 to the allowed list and visit instead of

This will not stop all DDOS attacks but can help prevent direct IIS flooding and possibly remove the need for a TCP proxy too.
Awesome tutorial man! I’m sure it’ll help a lot of people :)

yoyok

Apr 24, 2013
Do you really thing that this will help with advanced flooding (DoS) methods... shake my head.

Instead block it before it reach your orgin server.

Johno

Sep 12, 2011
Do you really thing that this will help with advanced flooding (DoS) methods... shake my head.

Instead block it before it reach your orgin server.
The purpose of this is "if" some how your direct IP address is leaked by ex staff or you do not want to use a TCP proxy this helps prevent attacks, I did state in the tut that "This will not stop all DDOS attacks but can help prevent direct IIS flooding "

This is a cheap and effective handy tip I am giving as you can have as much protection you want sitting in front of your IIS but someone gets the direct IP address of the server the third party protection is useless.

yoyok

Apr 24, 2013
The purpose of this is "if" some how your direct IP address is leaked by ex staff or you do not want to use a TCP proxy this helps prevent attacks, I did state in the tut that "This will not stop all DDOS attacks but can help prevent direct IIS flooding "

This is a cheap and effective handy tip I am giving as you can have as much protection you want sitting in front of your IIS but someone gets the direct IP address of the server the third party protection is useless.

I would rather then use the webserver 'Firewall advanced' method to allow only Cloudflare IP's. It's more effectieve.

Johno

Sep 12, 2011
I would rather then use the webserver 'Firewall advanced' method to allow only Cloudflare IP's. It's more effectieve.
That is your choice, this is a tutorial to help people who are still learning, not really a discussion. There are lots of ways to archive the same end result

yoyok

Apr 24, 2013
That is your choice, this is a tutorial to help people who are still learning, not really a discussion. There are lots of ways to archive the same end result
The method i explained with your method will have much more better result! If you don't mind, just add it to your thread too. :')

Johno

Sep 12, 2011
The method i explained with your method will have much more better result! If you don't mind, just add it to your thread too. :')
I added it to the bottom of the tut, I chose to release this as I felt due to some people being very new making changes to a firewall if you do not understand the full implications can result in losing access to the server, as a provider we are happy to help customers regain access but I am aware of some who will issue a charge for this or just flat out refuse to assist on unmanaged services.

Users who are viewing this thread