The Greatest Subject

Laporte

Dec 1, 2020
Should All Children And Mid Teens Be supplied Free School Meals. (Public and None Public)

Please include the following in your opinion:

1. A conclude to the opinion ( I.E: Yes / No )
2. Explain why you've chosen Yes / No

This solely isn't for UK users because I'm sure the rest of the world have this same debate so feel free to share your opinion.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Yes and no.

How is this going to be funded? Where are the funds coming from?

I didn't bother to read any article. A good number of people live paycheck to paycheck, this would definitely help out those families. A school around me actually started trailing this project. Sadly, it's not doing so hot nor getting good feedback. Due to the lack of school funding, they are forced to buy in bulk and stay within their budget, which clearly isn't big. The food they are providing provides little to no nutritional value to the students.

It's a great idea if the school has the money and budget for it. One thing that has always been harped on me is that nothing in this world is free, it comes at a price. Whether that price may be subsidized by parents through monthly payments, taxes, or something else. Let's be real, a school/education facility, whether you like it or not, is a business. They're not in it to lose money. They're not going to break even with the supplies they buy. If they do, they still have to pay people to package and distribute this product. When it starts to become more expensive for parents to pay into this program than to send their kids to school with nutritional meals, there's where it's a no.

As stated above, it's not going to be free, as much as you believe it is. In conclusion, if they can provide nutritional meals to the students at little to no cost to the parent and/or taxpayer, it's a great idea. Logically, I don't know the reality of that.

Daltron

Web Developer
Aug 6, 2015
My answer would be Yes and No.

The public school in the United States that I attended has free/reduced lunches for families with lower income. The way the school made up the money that was lost was to make lunches cost more to students who's parents made above 100,000$ a year which when you live in a double income household that is easily achievable when both parents are working full-time. I think the whole free lunches shouldn't be allowed primarily because of that situation alone. I can feel for the kids who's parents live paycheck to paycheck, which I do believe they should have free lunches if they make below 30,000$ but the school systems should take it out on family's who make more money. Half the time I went to school I never had lunch money I always had to bring my lunch and that was just due to the fact that kids who made lower income were either free or costed below 1.50$. My lunches costed 4.50$ for a semi-okay meal which you can only ask for so much but that price jump is literally ridiculous families cannot justify spending 810$ a year just for lunches that is an outrageous price.

I hope you can understand where I am coming from as I was all over the place but I presume all school districts are different but in my state that was my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread