[Suggestion] Staff System

Damien

Don't need glasses if you can C#
Feb 26, 2012
So I'll cut straight to the chase. I've noticed recently a couple of new mods being hired out of the blue and the chat box fills up with "Is so and so staff?", "when did so and so get hired?", ext.

My suggestion is to maybe have a thread in the news section or the main directory of the section that needs staff, that allows users to apply and give staff some information on why they best suited the job. Set up a few ground rules; account has to be 1 year old, has to have so many posts, yadayada. Then allow other members of the community to like applications, of a way of vouching and approving the person in question.

I feel this would allow everyone an equal opportunity, and would allow the community to decide (within reason) which user would be best suited for the roll. It'd also eliminate the confusing some users have when new staff are appointed out of the blue.

Opinions?

I hope I posted this in the right section, I don't often venture outside the habbo section so be nice to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
New mod, not mods. You're making a bigger problem out of it than it is. Becoming a moderator isn't a popularity contest. If you are a HQ poster, report a lot of stuff and be active within the community, there's a big chance you'll be noticed and suggested by other mods to become a moderator.

But which section in your opinion does even need a moderator?

Damien

Feb 26, 2012
New mod, not mods. You're making a bigger problem out of it than it is. Becoming a moderator isn't a popularity contest. If you are a HQ poster, report a lot of stuff and be active within the community, there's a big chance you'll be noticed and suggested by other mods to become a moderator.

But which section in your opinion does even need a moderator?
Wasn't pointing out specific mod(s?). Nor was I saying any of the current staff aren't fit for their rolls if that's what you're implying. I'm also not creating a problem, I'm mearly suggesting an alternative to the current, what appears to be buddy system.

Also I never once mention that a section was lacking in moderation. Just that we need some notice on who's being hired and into what sections.

Everyone in my opinion deserves equal opportunities, after all we are a community.
Unless it comes to black subs, in which case that's mine @Shorty

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Wasn't pointing out specific mod(s?). Nor was I saying any of the current staff aren't fit for their rolls if that's what you're implying. I'm also not creating a problem, I'm mearly suggesting an alternative to the current, what appears to be buddy system.

Also I never once mention that a section was lacking in moderation. Just that we need some notice on who's being hired and into what sections.
You were pointing out a specific situation of me becoming a mod, as there hasn't been any new mod for quite some time now. There is no buddy system, currently. I have been reporting a lot of posts, posted actively and also have been really active in my role as a FindRetros Moderator. Sledmore noticed that, and suggested me as a moderator. This is what RastaLulz did next: - it was put up to a vote. And still I probably shouldn't even had to be hired as a moderator because with the small staff team they already had, they managed.

There's no need for a section where people can "apply" to become a moderator. Be active - report posts, and if there's need for a moderator, you'll be noticed.

Damien

Feb 26, 2012
You were pointing out a specific situation of me becoming a mod, as there hasn't been any new mod for quite some time now. There is no buddy system, currently. I have been reporting a lot of posts, posted actively and also have been really active in my role as a FindRetros Moderator. Sledmore noticed that, and suggested me as a moderator. This is what RastaLulz did next: - it was put up to a vote. And still I probably shouldn't even had to be hired as a moderator because with the small staff team they already had, they managed.

There's no need for a section where people can "apply" to become a moderator. Be active - report posts, and if there's need for a moderator, you'll be noticed.
I'm not here to argue. I do however feel the current system does need to be fleshed out a little, that's why I apposed an alternative. Whether people agree with me or not is why I created this thread. I appreciate the feedback.

Brad

Jun 5, 2012
Normally there is a thread explaining what;s new and who's new and so on. Donkey was the last one to do it when me and Adil was hired nearly 2 years ago. The staff has only changed twice since then with the addition of JMG & Wess. I like this idea, but we kinda already have it. Just no one seems to do it, I'll be more than happy to from now I can get permission to. :)

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
No need for this. I am pretty sure when more staff are needed the current staff rationally discusses this among themselves and then make a decision. Applications and community approval is just unnecessary.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
A news thread when someone gets hired sure why not? Not sure why Wess took it so personally I don't think you were slyly focusing on his hiring :p
I'm not taking it personally - however I think some people missed a part of the suggestion. I'm all for letting people know the changes, but I'm against a section where people can apply to become a mod.

Damien

Feb 26, 2012
Probably didn't explain it to well, the main purpose is the eliminate the confusion that surrounds some users when promotions happen. My suggestion was merely an idea that allows people who follow a section regularly, to stay updated with when a staff rank opens up, what users are interested in filling the roll, some information about the roll, then the thread can be closed up explaining who was hired and some of the reasoning behind it.

Even just a thread in the news section explaining the changes would be great. "Hey there's a new staff. I'll just check the news for more information about it".

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Probably didn't explain it to well, the main purpose is the eliminate the confusion that surrounds some users when promotions happen. My suggestion was merely an idea that allows people who follow a section regularly, to stay updated with when a staff rank opens up, what users are interested in filling the roll, some information about the roll, then the thread can be closed up explaining who was hired and some of the reasoning behind it.

Even just a thread in the news section explaining the changes would be great. "Hey there's a new staff. I'll just check the news for more information about it".
Good suggestion, we've taken it into discussion how we could go around this the best way (and also some other stuff). Maybe incorporate it into something bigger, like monthly changes/updates or w/e. If you have any additional ideas just lay them out!

Damien

Feb 26, 2012
Good suggestion, we've taken it into discussion how we could go around this the best way (and also some other stuff). Maybe incorporate it into something bigger, like monthly changes/updates or w/e. If you have any additional ideas just lay them out!
Yeah even a weekly news update would be amazing. Highlight some changes that happened on devbest, acknowledge the top poster of the week, things to come, staff changes, hell maybe even weekly competitions to get people involved. That in itself is a really good idea.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Yeah even a weekly news update would be amazing. Highlight some changes that happened on devbest, acknowledge the top poster of the week, things to come, staff changes, hell maybe even weekly competitions to get people involved. That in itself is a really good idea.

Bro. Get out of our staff section!!!!

--

We've wanted to do most of this for a while, but have left it to Josh, raised the question to ask if we can go a head and run a few things amongst ourselves. E.g. most of this thread actually.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Wait, so you're saying the person with the most vouches should be hired? It's not even like DevBest needs more moderators at the moment. I like the system as is, honestly. @bigdawg selects people he trusts and would be good for the position, rather than the community vouching. If people voted, we could end up with people like @Rommel and @Sentinel; it's the US election all over again <3_<3 :*

If you were going to do something like this, the threads should be private as people can just get friends to go and vouch for them. Private threads could give Josh a view of people who could potentially be the right candidate without another person giving input.

Also, if you're really concerned about who is and who isn't staff, just go to ..

Users who are viewing this thread