Starting University..

Kylie

Princess
Dec 9, 2012
Hi, I am starting University in less than 3 weeks, I start on the 24th of September. I am really nervous but motivated about it, I just don't know what to expect, if anyone has been to University, feel free to comment the atmosphere as it would be really appreciated. I have bought a few things as I am staying in accommodation, I have already bought basics such as a lamp for desk, pens, a notepad, calculator, USB Stick and a few others. If anyone can suggest anything else I should buy, then please let me know. I haven't bought any books relating to the course yet, but will be buying before I leave my current job as a Home Care Assistant.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Nervous and motivated seems about right. It's a laugh, but take it seriously because assignments creep up on you because you're too busy drinking/going out.

Be social but don't fuck up your assignments because of it.

Other than that, seems like you have what you need in regards to stationary.

I'd recommend buying an iPad personally, I preferred typing down notes rather than writing them with a pen. And if you get bored as fuck you can just play games on it :D

Get to know your tutors well as well.

Kylie

Princess
Dec 9, 2012
Nervous and motivated seems about right. It's a laugh, but take it seriously because assignments creep up on you because you're too busy drinking/going out.

Be social but don't fuck up your assignments because of it.

Other than that, seems like you have what you need in regards to stationary.

I'd recommend buying an iPad personally, I preferred typing down notes rather than writing them with a pen. And if you get bored as fuck you can just play games on it :D

Get to know your tutors well as well.
I've got an iPad babes, just need a case to stand it on. :up:

cain

insert html
May 12, 2012
Not that far in life yet so can't make a knowledgeable contribution but, all the best Kyls!

Pinkman

Posting Freak
Jul 27, 2016
Buy a dildo.

Im just joking ;) I think University will be the best time of your life. Just remember to keep your head up and work hard. You really should think about that dildo though!

Kylie

Princess
Dec 9, 2012
Buy a dildo.

Im just joking ;) I think University will be the best time of your life. Just remember to keep your head up and work hard. You really should think about that dildo though!
Thanks and sure I will do, but definitely not going to think about your suggestion!

I meant what will you be after done w uni?
Hopefully a fully qualified Learning Disability Nurse.

Pinkman

Posting Freak
Jul 27, 2016
Thanks and sure I will do, but definitely not going to think about your suggestion!

Hopefully a fully qualified Learning Disability Nurse.
My mum did that and she enjoys it! Makes you feel real goooooood. Are you sure about my suggestion??? @Markshall sells them real cheap!

Jeffrey

Devbest Indian Tech Support
FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
I started college (University) two weeks ago. My tips would be is to make sure that if your courses as textbooks, make sure to see if there are university groups on facebook because usually the ones with large groups or specifically titled, has the books you may need for extremely cheap. If else, try to find an ebook via:

I personally just use my laptop to do everything such as homework and notes. It's better than just wasting trees as you an just upload it to the cloud and access whenever.

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
First off congrats !
Getting into university, although may not seem like a big accomplishment, definitely is one.

I write this, while currently sitting in my university apartment 2 days before classes. So I know your nerves and excitment and have been through them. I'm going into my third year of Math and Finance Program.

I'll try my best not to write too much but here it goes.
1) Every first year is in the same boat as you, everyone living in ur dorm building will feel the same. They also want to make new friends, have a good time, and complete their goals, so you're not alone. With this, you have a great opportunity to make friends ! It's an easy and fun way to connect with people by via simply having neighbours. BUT an important thing to note is that you DO NOT have to be friends with these people. Do not feel pressured into making strong friendships with them unless you want to. In my first year dorm, I lived near individuals who were way too rowdy and immature to me, yet I hid my feelings of how much I was annoyed by them, and was their friend simply because I thought I needed their friendship.
Thats bullshit ! You can make friends plenty of other places. In Class, in clubs, in cafeteria, at parties and more. So don't feel like you need to be their friend. Make yourself comfrotable.

2) Partying. Right this one, ffs movies have fucked a lot of kids with this. How college/uni is built in movies is a lot different than in real life. Why? because they usually cut the scenes where the kids study and go to class. So don't obviously assume that school is 50% work and 50% partying. Its more like 90% work and 10% partying. But with that being said, don't be afraid to cut loose and have fun. A university EDUCATION can be had online. You're going to university to not just grow academically but as an individual too. This means living alone, and being responsible. So you need to learn how to work hard but as well treat yourself fairly and enjoy life and party a bit (if thats what ur into it). If not, find other ways to relax. Go to the movies, just chill at home, go to clubs and competitions etc.

3)Responsibility: Idk about how you're experience will be but in first year I lost 15lbs because i forgot to eat. Yes I literally forgot to eat. I didn't realize how essential my mom was to my well being by yelling me to eat my meals. I sound like a fucking child but believe me, it's easier to happen then you think. Don't forget the basic necessaities. Eating, hygene etc.

4) Studying: Studying in Uni is a lot diffeerent than HS (in my experience). In my experience I could simply memorize the notes and get an easy 90%. I did that for first year micro-economics and didn't do as well, second semester Macro-economics I realized how to learn the content and I got top 10 highest mark in a 1000seat lecture. What's my point? You need to study like me? No. You need to learn your own learning style. This will take time, this will be annoying and this will be hard and an ever growing process. But rememember keep learning.

5) Set reasonable goals. No Im sorry, you can't join 5 clubs, go partying every other night and maintain a 90% average. Set resonable goals.

6) Learn, grow and have fun. Most importantly, have fun. Don't get too caught up. If you fail a course whats the worst that happens? You retake it. As long as you learned WHY you failed the course and improve yourself next time, then it's no big deal. Also remember University although is said to be the "best time of peoples lives" (which to me is nonsense and wrong to say because it puts pressures on students to make sure they are having the best time and if they arent they feel like a failure) is ONLY 4 years in your life. It's a small milestone in your life so don't get too caught up in it. But at the same time make sure you learn from these years and have a great time.

P.S) Do what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy your program please don't stay in it. Ok so you spent 20k on it and you feel bad that you'll lose the money. 20k is a lot less than a long road of dissapointment and boredom in your program.

Goodluck ! I hope it's incredible. And I hope i've helped you in someway :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread