Should i open a retro?

Each

Dec 20, 2013
I don't know. Retros are dead yes, but worth it opening one?
Let me know, and if you're interested in opening one, contact me.

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
Unless you are going to implement new features, design a server for an unreleased version, or bring back a dead release/version then no.

I think there are quite enough half broken R63B hotels as it is. But dont let others influence your passions and hobbies. Do ehat you enjoy and push yourself to the next level.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
No it is not worth opening a retro, even retros that are actually doing unique things and adding content that bigger hotels don't have they struggle because the only thing that matters on a community game like Habbo is how many users you have and you will never be able to topple Boon/Fresh.

The only reason I see for anyone doing normal retros right now is if they're learning or have an interest in the back end side of things because otherwise it really is a waste of time.

Rhyceee

Jul 22, 2018
I recently opend a habbo retro
for one reason is i like developing little bits. so it helps me with adding stuff to it. I do all my work on my own

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Possibly not. Much agree with @HDN althoguh if you’re interested and keen to start this as a learning project, why not. :)

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
All the above comments are ignorant and seem only interested in it for the money aspect of things. Do not open a retro if you expect any sort of possibly economic flow coming from it or for it to get big. It's certainly possible to develop a professional hotel and gain a small community following. As for going big, well let's say only 2 hotels have achieved that and they been open for many years.

Certainly do it if you have a passion for development and want to manage your own community. Just be expected to invest your own money and not gain any of it back or even break even on server costs.

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
All the above comments are ignorant and seem only interested in it for the money aspect of things. Do not open a retro if you expect any sort of possibly economic flow coming from it or for it to get big. It's certainly possible to develop a professional hotel and gain a small community following. As for going big, well let's say only 2 hotels have achieved that and they been open for many years.

Certainly do it if you have a passion for development and want to manage your own community. Just be expected to invest your own money and not gain any of it back or even break even on server costs.
It seems you've made the bold claim that EVERY comment disuaded him due to monetary interests. While I assure you that my response had absolutely nothing to do with money and everything to do with the fact that there is no progression in "re-inventing the wheel." I encourage anyone eager to learn and develop new skills, however, the community could do without the same R63B half-broken hotel being added to the pool of crap already out there.

What would help the community is a stream of new releases for versions/releases that have seen no development or perhaps that have been underdeveloped. With that said, I still think one should pursue their own interests for their own motives.

Just my two cents in it all.

olliedean

ollie.cool
Jan 28, 2013

I mostly agree with this.
On the revenue comment, I agree that you can't expect a large flow of income, however, I got donations on my old hotel, and it was a very small community. You'd only have to partially put your own money towards it, or possibly none at all.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
It seems you've made the bold claim that EVERY comment disuaded him due to monetary interests. While I assure you that my response had absolutely nothing to do with money and everything to do with the fact that there is no progression in "re-inventing the wheel." I encourage anyone eager to learn and develop new skills, however, the community could do without the same R63B half-broken hotel being added to the pool of crap already out there.

What would help the community is a stream of new releases for versions/releases that have seen no development or perhaps that have been underdeveloped. With that said, I still think one should pursue their own interests for their own motives.

Just my two cents in it all.
So you believe that servers should only exist to implement new features and be competitive on the development aspect of things, something users don't even know of? Opening a hotel on a dead version either implies a Shockwave, which is close to impossible to gain traction with needing a modified browser to use. Or your alternative is R63A or R59, great. I see nothing wrong with opening another hotel using R63B and he doesn't need to do extreme development features for it to be popular, nor is it right to assume it would be half broken.

Hotels exist for their community, most users don't notice achievements, games or anything of that. They just care if the catalog opens and rooms can be built with wired.

LJW

Aug 27, 2018
I mean if you want to open a retro for say to give yourself a learning environment then yes that is fair enough, but nowadays there's to many copies and failures of "development" mainly due to self-proclaimed "developers" who seem to believe that changing the background colour or something minor on the CMS is developing.

Yes, there's people that actually are developers who as well are GOOD at developing and all due respect goes to them but mainly it's just retros copying one another which leads to failed competition and pointless arguments that won't matter in 10 minutes from now, but hey each to their own :)

Users who are viewing this thread