[Shockwave Client Emulator] Project Dragon

Joeh

Jan 9, 2020
For the past few weeks I have been working on a shockwave client emulator for Habbo.
The idea is that it can leverage existing retro servers targeted at Shockwave Clients, but will run in modern browsers.
Accuracy is important so emulating the feel of classic habbo as close as possible is an important goal of the project.

So far, floor, furni and avatar rendering is complete and habbo client accurate. They are rendered identically to the real client and don't suffer any popping, glitching, layering issues etc.

If you have experience with any emulators targeted at shockwave clients (particularly Kepler) I'd love to hear from you and potentially team up.

If there is interest I will continue to post updates.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Joeh

Jan 9, 2020
Thanks.

Technologies are:
  • TypeScript
  • Pixi.js
  • Web Sockets
Already have tooling that can extract assets from shockwave and flash Habbo clients and repackage for use by Dragon.

You would stand up an existing server (such as Kepler) and then run websocketify (or similar) and then Dragon emulates a real client.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
Thanks.

Technologies are:
  • TypeScript
  • Pixi.js
  • Web Sockets
Already have tooling that can extract assets from shockwave and flash Habbo clients and repackage for use by Dragon.

You would stand up an existing server (such as Kepler) and then run websocketify (or similar) and then Dragon emulates a real client.

So this is a rebuilt client specifically targeting Servers using Shockwave?
Just to add Lingo is a pretty ugly language.

But this sounds good and looks good! Goodluck on this. I have a few old Servers might come in handy.

Joeh

Jan 9, 2020
That's right.
It's not a direct port of the shockwave client (you are right, Lingo is awful to read) but it's designed to work with that era protocol.

Initially I just wanted to set out to recreate "old habbo" with a custom server and client.
But as I progressed I realized being able to focus on the client alone will speed things up, and projects like Classic Habbo already exist with great servers.

So my conclusion was to focus on actually emulating the shockwave client so it could work with existing servers/services, perhaps eventually as a migration path off shockwave for those projects.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
That's right.
It's not a direct port of the shockwave client (you are right, Lingo is awful to read) but it's designed to work with that era protocol.

Initially I just wanted to set out to recreate "old habbo" with a custom server and client.
But as I progressed I realized being able to focus on the client alone will speed things up, and projects like Classic Habbo already exist with great servers.

So my conclusion was to focus on actually emulating the shockwave client so it could work with existing servers/services, perhaps eventually as a migration path off shockwave for those projects.

That's a pretty great thing you are doing. However there is no fully completed HTML5 for the current client versions. So it would be great if you decided to do that also.
The fully built up old-school hotel is currently indeed ClassicHabbo. But there is a lot of servers you can use. However if I remember correctly most Emulators from back in the day didn't handle as much data as they would now so it wouldn't be a good idea.
So I think it's good you are sticking to a great Emulator which powers ClassicHabbo.

It's also good that you decided to pick PixiJS. It's great.

I see future in this! Hopefully you get the chance to complete it.

I still think making a client from scratch is just doing Sulake's job for them... You could make a new game if you would dedicate that much time into building a client.
Private Servers are known for ripping from the original games.

So let's see how this goes I still support it.
You have done the important parts which is good!

Goodluck!

Last edited:

Roper

Ancient Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hi @Joeh, this looks fantastic - I love to see Shockwave projects as this reflects the era I joined the retro scene. It fills me with nostalgia and hope.
I am looking forward to seeing this.

Will BattleBall and Snowstorm be included at some point?

Joeh

Jan 9, 2020
Started work on the UI and it is coming along nicely.

Not sure about Battleball/Snow war currently, it's not high on my list of priorities.

Post automatically merged:

Multiple users is now working correctly.

Last edited:

Joeh

Jan 9, 2020
I don’t have anything released yet but avatar rendering and animation is very complex so it’s not a small snippet.
I do plan to release the code as soon as I get a chance.

Billsonnn

developer
Jun 19, 2011
I’ve been working on an HTML client myself and have quite a bit done, add me on discord I’d love to chat about it! Billsonnn#0352

Champion

Aug 26, 2011
This is the type of project that could bring a solid community back to retros.

Screw the newer versions! This would be epic.

Joeh

Jan 9, 2020
I have released the source code of what is done so far:
Unfortunately it's not documented, but everything so far is in there.

Champion

Aug 26, 2011
I have released the source code of what is done so far:
Unfortunately it's not documented, but everything so far is in there.

I hope you are still continuing this project. There is a massive need for old school retros right now as the habbo reunion just happened and all the old school players that made up epic communities back then are craving the nostalgia and a well run hotel. Habbo is garbage now!

What versions does this support? Thx

Champion

Aug 26, 2011
@Joeh - did you ever get farther on this project?

I keep checking back on projects like these… I think it would be the only type of project that could make a successful community like the ones we all remember so fondly.. and it would attract a lot of old school players back.

Cheers!

TheGeneral

Dec 27, 2016
@Joeh - did you ever get farther on this project?

I keep checking back on projects like these… I think it would be the only type of project that could make a successful community like the ones we all remember so fondly.. and it would attract a lot of old school players back.

Cheers!
Nope dead. Like most projects that require such commitment, they end up dead in the water. His last commit was 2 years ago so doubt he continued.

I think you would be better of just editing Nitro into a shockwave style.

Users who are viewing this thread