PC Rockstar has released its own game launcher

Lotus

Legacy, it's all anyone leaves behind.
Jun 8, 2012
Get San Andreas for free if you download Rockstar's Game Launcher..

04aa15d75ca36ac4a482e343b90b0fa13b753397.jpg

For a limited time, install the Rockstar Games Launcher and claim a free copy of the classic on PC within the Rockstar Games Launcher, to permanently add it to your Social Club account’s library. For more details, visit

The Rockstar Games Launcher is available for download now here:

Select PC game titles are not currently supported. Visit for more info.

Last edited:

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Kind of cool, but also don't get why they made it, it's not they have such a huge amount of games that it would require their own launcher. I guess it makes development easier for them or something.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Kind of cool, but also don't get why they made it, it's not they have such a huge amount of games that it would require their own launcher. I guess it makes development easier for them or something.
I imagine one of the biggest motivations is that Steam takes a 30% cut of all sales (although it may be smaller due to the volume of sales Rockstar has). I doubt they get much of a benefit from being on Steam (compared to small games), as GTA is one of the biggest titles in the world, and having their own client would allow them market their other titles. It's not ideal for the consumer, as it's just one more client that you have to install, and keep track of.

Lotus

Jun 8, 2012

RDR2 has been rumored to been coming to PC from what I've been reading for the past week now which has hinted why this was launched as it was never speculated, it just dropped one day.. That day being Today of course.

I imagine one of the biggest motivations is that Steam takes a 30% cut of all sales (although it may be smaller due to the volume of sales Rockstar has). I doubt they get much of a benefit from being on Steam (compared to small games), as GTA is one of the biggest titles in the world, and having their own client would allow them market their other titles. It's not ideal for the consumer, as it's just one more client that you have to install, and keep track of.

You're right on this one, their games are potentially going to fall off the market for Steam over time most likely. If you look at Skybound / Telltales games after the studio closure, all of their games moved over to Epic Games, which probably decided to sell their game and take a smaller cut from them. Most game companies are going to move away from Steam eventually especially when you have huge companies like Rockstar taking that step.

"If one thing is clear in the gaming industry these days, it's that people would rather not give 30% of their revenue to Steam. There are two major ways of doing this: you can either head over to the Epic Games Store, which will give you a better split and maybe even a giant pile of cash if you ask very nicely, or you can just make your own launcher, which requires maintaining the thing but knocks out the middleman entirely. Making your own launcher is best for big brands, the sorts of games that people are going to seek out and find wherever they are without having to worry whether people can find them on a competing storefront. Rockstar, obviously, is a big enough brand to do this.

Rockstar launched its own PC launcher yesterday, throwing in a free copy of GTA: San Andreas for anyone that does them the favor of throwing another launcher onto their desktop. On its own, it's sort of a mild announcement: it's nor surprising that Rockstar would want to keep a larger chunk of its sales. But the timing is somewhat suspect. We're just entering into the fall release season, and Rockstar has one massive game that hasn't yet arrived on PC. Sure seems like Red Dead Redemption 2 might be heading that way soon." - Forbes Magazine

Lotus

Jun 8, 2012
Today is the final day to install GTA:SA If you haven't yet better hurry!

H2O

Pro
Jan 21, 2018
I think Rockstar are trying to keep hype up whilst they delay GTA 6 personally...however it's nice to see that they did give SA away for free (had it already).
Launcher looks clean and user friendly though from what I have used of it so far.

Lotus

Jun 8, 2012
I think Rockstar are trying to keep hype up whilst they delay GTA 6 personally...however it's nice to see that they did give SA away for free (had it already).
Launcher looks clean and user friendly though from what I have used of it so far.

The Launcher was for RDR2's release that was rumored for a while

Users who are viewing this thread