ribbon - A platform to share your stories.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Every semester break, I will try to learn something new, this time, I am trying to learn either Vue, React as well as MongoDB. But it turns out that life isn't as smooth as what I had thought so I scrapped the former and went along with Angular 1 instead.

ribbon is an ongoing content management system project which uses the MongoDB and Express.js library for all back-end.
For the codes (which are still not production-ready and are missing the front-end), you can look into the repository at .

Demo:

I know, I know, this isn't the best way to go about doing things in Node.js. But hey, everything's different.

I am developing the front-end in conjunction with the back-end. So, in a way, they influence how each other work. Here are some screenshots of the in-development administration panel.

Edit Page:
60rIjPQ7Hhp3.png

Edit Post:
43xqSpSMHhp3.png

Not the best looking, but in a way, I'm too lazy to code a brand new layout. So, the admin theme will be the same as the homepage theme.

Last edited:

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Out of curiosity, why MongoDB? Also, Vue should be relatively easy to pick up if you already know Angular 1.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Mongo is decent but don't approach it from a relational perspective (which can be hard if you're coming from an SQL background... as I learnt last semester at uni :lol:)

The UI looks nice and simple, will be interesting to see how this develops. Good luck!

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
I have added the base theme as well as the admin panel to the repository. Feel free to clone it and check it out!

Kristo

Website & Software Developer
Feb 5, 2015
Looks good (My amazingly fast reply)... Reading through posts that I have not read yet haha.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
As of the , I have added viewing posts by user ID and tags.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
MongoDB is nice, with Node, I prefer it over MySQL.
It's nice to see you have a project again, just wondering what style guide are you using, if any?
Also, I wouldn't use React, personally I'm tired of seeing React projects. You should look into something else.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
MongoDB is nice, with Node, I prefer it over MySQL.
It's nice to see you have a project again, just wondering what style guide are you using, if any?
Also, I wouldn't use React, personally I'm tired of seeing React projects. You should look into something else.
I don't really understand what you meant by "what style of guide". I am also considering Vue, so don't worry, I have a lot to play around with :D

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
For once, keep your personal views out of a thread if you are going to present them as facts, or at least word them in a better way.
I don't really understand what you meant by "what style of guide". I am also considering Vue, so don't worry, I have a lot to play around with :D
E.g

Last edited by a moderator:

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
But yeah, I suggest you install eslint
Code:
npm i -g eslint

And then choose a style guide, the main three are: , and

Personally, I prefer airbnb, Standard is alright but Google is shit imo

In your project folder run
Code:
eslint --init
to run through the initialization wizard

Last edited by a moderator:

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Changed the way frontend can authenticate using the API as well as added a guide for code standards.

Update 2018.3.27
Scheduled Posting has been added as well as a hidden option for posts and pages.

Last edited:

Kristo

Website & Software Developer
Feb 5, 2015
Changed the way frontend can authenticate using the API as well as added a guide for code standards.

Update 2018.3.27
Scheduled Posting has been added as well as a hidden option for posts and pages.

Nice addition. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses from now.

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
You have a good plan, I also have been aiming to learn something new during each break from Uni.
I wanna get into the wide world of javascript on my next break

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
As of the latest commit, I have added a of the default "flac" theme.

Not much update in the past few days as I'm busy redesigning the backend layout as well as learning Vue.js.
Small preview, note that it is a work in progress and major changes might still happen.
hW3yQ4gW.png

Okay, I spent the last 14 hours turning the new admin theme into a usable product with Vue.js. I have created a new to test it out and see if there are bugs.
If you wanna look at the source for the theme, feel free to check it out here:

Users who are viewing this thread