Retro's Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
Who ever said Retro's are illegal?

Does Habbo have a REAL copyright, and if so, is it against building retros?

Why wouldn't they have taken them down by now?

What do you guys think?

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Yes, Habbo do have copyright, Habbo can't take down big retros because they are offshore hosting, and it would cost Sulake loads of money to take them to court

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
Yes it is illegal, Habbo does have a copyright.

The reason Habbo does nothing. It can take years to sue for copyright, and costs thousands of dollars. Now that there are literally thousands of retros, Habbo can not afford to do anything about it. YOU can however report a retro on Sulakes Offical site and they will contact the retros web host provider and request that the site gets shutdown.

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
There images are copywrited, so by using the SWF, you are using the images.
Obviously it is illegal.
So, If somone were to make furni LIKE it, but not steal, would it be illegal?

JoshuaLuke

Posting Freak
Jan 29, 2012
Sure they can, Sulake is a multi million dollar company.

True, but since they're so many Habbo retros, it's hardly appropriate to take them all to court, and anyway, even though retros do exist, Sulake still make millions of dollars anyway

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Sure they can, Sulake is a multi million dollar company.
Taking a minor to court isn't good for the "child-friendly" image they portray ;P
Retros are illegal, and they do take notice. Keep an eye out, just in case.

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
If someone was able like you said to create their own images/swf without anything to do with the copyrights habbo one.

Then yes, it would be alright... But I haven't seen anyone able to do that yet ;)

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
True, but since they're so many Habbo retros, it's hardly appropriate to take them all to court, and anyway, even though retros do exist, Sulake still make millions of dollars anyway
They wouldn't have to take them all down (or to court). They'd just take the ones that exceed a certain user online count, and scare the rest shitless.

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
They wouldn't have to take them all down (or to court). They'd just take the ones that exceed a certain user online count, and scare the rest shitless.
Exactly. They would be more likely to take down Bubbo or Zap, Than take down a retro that has a maximum of 4 users online a day :p

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
The user count of retros is increasing and the user count of Habbo is lowering, so they may take action soon

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
The user count of retros is increasing and the user count of Habbo is lowering, so they may take action soon

I doubt that anytime soon a retro will get higher than 10k, but I agree the balance of the retro world v Habbo is changing.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Taking a minor to court isn't good for the "child-friendly" image they portray ;P
Retros are illegal, and they do take notice. Keep an eye out, just in case.
I disagree, a majority of the people who run rather large retros are old enough to be considered adults, or at least charged as adults.

Joh

Jan 10, 2011
Ofc they're illegal

I just don't think they're doing anything now becuase they're increasing their protection on the SWFS to prevent retros from using them... i think.

Sean

Dec 12, 2011
I disagree, a majority of the people who run rather large retros are old enough to be considered adults, or at least charged as adults.
Agreed, You can be tried as an adult at the age of 16, and most decent hotels are owned by 16+ as they have jobs and can afford to keep it running :)

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
Ofc they're illegal

I just don't think they're doing anything now becuase they're increasing their protection on the SWFS to prevent retros from using them... i think.
Yet we got their horse's fairly quickly ^_^

Solar

Jan 24, 2012
Remember that kid who got sued from Sulake for making a private server? It was probably a hoax and payed by Sulake to make the fake story on the news. I've never heard anybody getting sued yet.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Remember that kid who got sued from Sulake for making a private server? It was probably a hoax and payed by Sulake to make the fake story on the news. I've never heard anybody getting sued yet.
What world do you live in? Show me one news article on this "event".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread