Retro Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkman

Posting Freak
Jul 27, 2016
Goodluck with this project. Personally I would rather you stick to one and finish it off completely. I believe Berk is or has been doing this project too.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Goodluck with this project. Personally I would rather you stick to one and finish it off completely. I believe Berk is or has been doing this project too.
What project have I not finished? Heroic is beyond finished. Any future updates are considered updates, but it wasn’t moved out of development over a few weeks ago.

Edit: Berks has also been cancelled as of several months ago

n4te

zzz
Oct 27, 2014
Hey,

I am currently developing a website dedicated to hosting files for habbo retros. This will use AngularJS and Node alongside several updates coming along in the future to bring user accounts, a staff team to ensure integrity of published files, reviews, etc.

Why should you consider using this?
All files are hosted through Megaupload with the keys not being shared and only returned through a proxy back meaning that our files will always be accessible, even if the website is to disappear - hosted files will still be available. I am also making an exclusive attempt at making this a professional place for users to publish their opinions on releases in a central location to help prevent forum-hopping or to ensure you get what you actually want.

Open Source? Always!

Link (May not always work until I publish the first production version on a dedicated domain)
holy shit you're just busting out projects.

Illusions

Dec 31, 2017
good idea, but aint it basically like habbofiles? or am i mistaken? nonetheless, goodluck :D

edit; website looks amazing.

ZaneyRetros

i am dead
Jul 27, 2015
It looks great, the website looks amazing. If you're needing Staff be sure to hit me up, wouldn't mind helping out (Discord: Zane#6149) - This would be a great addition as many retro file sites such as or are hardly updated with new uploads, never maintained and have boring designs.
I believe this has a potential. Good luck Chris.

Many Regards,
Zane

good idea, but aint it basically like habbofiles? or am i mistaken? nonetheless, goodluck :D

It is, yes however this will have a staff team to ensure the integrity of published files, reviews - copied from above. It also has a nice design that is not dull like other retro sites, It also uses AngularJS and Node alongside several updates, therefore it technically is better as it will be updated daily.

Many Regards,
Zane

Illusions

Dec 31, 2017
It looks great, the website looks amazing. If you're needing Staff be sure to hit me up, wouldn't mind helping out (Discord: Zane#6149) - This would be a great addition as many retro file sites such as or are hardly updated with new uploads, never maintained and have boring designs.
I believe this has a potential. Good luck Chris.

Many Regards,
Zane

It is, yes however this will have a staff team to ensure the integrity of published files, reviews - copied from above. It also has a nice design that is not dull like other retro sites, It also uses AngularJS and Node alongside several updates, therefore it technically is better as it will be updated daily.

Many Regards,
Zane
i know, i looked at it and thought how it was already better than them sites mentioned above. i just scam read it, so i probs missed the staff bit?

the kind regards, zane thing is cringe btw... ly zane xx

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013

I also ensure to host all files on multiple Mega accounts to ensure that we do not loose data as some file sharing sites have in the past (ie: sulake.cc)

Users will be able to publish their own files which then can be reviewed by a staff team before gaining verification status.

Also considering adding areas such as “known issues” or “exploits” to file downloads to users can be aware of any possible problems, but that will be in the future

holy shit you're just busting out projects.
I get bored and like to spice things up occasionally.

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
I also ensure to host all files on multiple Mega accounts to ensure that we do not loose data as some file sharing sites have in the past (ie: sulake.cc)

Users will be able to publish their own files which then can be reviewed by a staff team before gaining verification status.

Also considering adding areas such as “known issues” or “exploits” to file downloads to users can be aware of any possible problems, but that will be in the future.

Now this, is an excellent idea! There is a large wave of people right now who assume that when they download these files that everything is going to work 100%. I think that having a log for each file with known bugs is a GREAT idea and that having a staff to verify posts and update materials is also a GREAT idea. Seeing the downloads get updated as bugs and known problems are fixed would be awesome. I don't understand why people host copies of PlusEMU that have 0 of the well known fixes patched.

I'd help with this (assuming you don't already have a full team)

Anyways, good work; I hope that this site will act as a beacon of light for other similar sites to follow in terms of how to manage their content.

Illusions

Dec 31, 2017

Also considering adding areas such as “known issues” or “exploits” to file downloads to users can be aware of any possible problems, but that will be in the future

I get bored and like to spice things up occasionally.
amazing. loving it tbh. kudos to you for this!

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I am working on redesigning this and incorporating new features

The official discord is :

Updates
  • User login has been coded
  • User registration has been coded
  • User uploads have been coded
    • Upon uploading a new repository you will also be given a default version of 1.00 and a default placeholder image (can be changed) before being redirected to your new file!
    • Users can also download previous versions
    • Files will be given a default status of 'pending' until approved or denied or placed into the outdated category
    • When uploading files you may give our staff team additional notes to help set it up and ensure its reliable
  • User file reviews have been coded
  • User file likes have been coded
  • User download counter have been coded (does not apply to specific versions)
  • Staff team can now be viewed publicly

Working on
  • Administrative panel
  • Torrent backups (Mega's API does not work well from the npm I was using)
Recruiting
I have also opened up recruiting possibilities for working on this website:

System is now going to be recoded to ensure code integrity and prevent bugs

Bugs Identified
  • Duplicate photos when saving edits to file data
  • Transactions do not rollback properly upon error
  • User directories are not created automatically upon initial error
  • Uploading files fails due to above problem

I may also end up recoding the API system into a different language due to the lack of foreign API support (Mega specifically) for Node.js

I am going over my routing structure to make the API code more readable and to clean it. This involves once again dynamic route fetching by globbing the files in my ./app/routes which each class will return something such as this. If I'm being honest - the project was completed already, however I am going above and beyond to make this something future-proof and extendable. I am also working on adding nice error handling

PHP:
import Files from '../../controller/file/files'
export default class Routes {

constructor (router) {

router.route('/api/files').post(Files.create)
    router.route('/api/files/:id')
      .get(Files.read)
      .put(Files.update)
      .delete(Files.delete)

}

}

As for my tech stack on the private website, a S3 server was launched and AWS API will be integrated into my stack soon with config options to enable/disable/interact with it. This will be used for backups of all uploaded files and as a main mirror possibly in the future

I am looking into cutting the Async library and taking advantage of Bluebird's .map functions from now on as I mostly use Promises

Updates
  • Further improvements on the front-end rewrite have been made.
  • The second version (Let's call this 0.2 as it hasn't hit a public version yet) is nearly ready
  • I am working on adding in the "community" feature will will function as a light message-board with more planned in the future!
  • Rank icons have also been added onto usernames, however these may be changed in the future (handled in database currently) to another set; as I am using military ranks

Other Possibilities
  • I am currently being lazy and using direct imgur links for user avatars, file pictures, etc; however may allow users to upload their images onto our server to prevent redundancy
  • Some incentives to encourage people to be more active are underway, this is basically equal to Xenforo's user groups that apply based on milestones. Currently I have 3 user milestones with 2 contributor ones. These have not been coded into the system yet and will be manually handled by lower moderation staff for now.
  • Youtube videos may also be embedded possibly on files to demonstrate the potential in a video.
  • Users will be able to create tutorials which can be viewed easily for all. Our staff team will manually approve tutorials to ensure they are including all required files in a neat and tidy archive file (.zip) to help beginners.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I have been feeling pretty godly lately

Working on cleaning code structures

Before
PHP:
    Database.hasOwnership(data.id, req.session.id)
      .then (success => {
        Database.update(data)
          .then (success => {
            res.status(200).end()
          })
          .catch (error => {
            new Error(error, req, res)
          })
      })
      .catch (error => {
      })

After
PHP:
Database.hasOwnership(data.id, req.session.id)
      .then (Database.update(data))
      .then (success => {
        res.status(200).end()
      })
      .catch (error => {
      })

Users may now post reviews leaving a star rating (1-5 stars) and the average number of stars will be displayed.
7ZfASsj.png

Promise chaining is not working as intended and is being rewrote.

Work will continue on this sometime soon now that I found a much cleaner way to effectively handle tasks

Synapse

PogChamp
Mar 3, 2012
I think I read somewhere that you discontinued this, but I hope I misread.

This looks great, both front end and under the hood. The concept is nice, and with a proper team I feel like it could help stampede the decline of users within the retro community. Allowing files, and information to be easily accessible. I think many people have wanted to create something similar but lacked the proper skill set required to actually make it. I can't really help in terms of development of the core site, but I'd like to be a contributor and tailor tools to allow updates as rapid as Habbo.

I saw you posted something about having a front end for the asset updater I'm making, maybe if we could somehow make that work?

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I think I read somewhere that you discontinued this, but I hope I misread.

This looks great, both front end and under the hood. The concept is nice, and with a proper team I feel like it could help stampede the decline of users within the retro community. Allowing files, and information to be easily accessible. I think many people have wanted to create something similar but lacked the proper skill set required to actually make it. I can't really help in terms of development of the core site, but I'd like to be a contributor and tailor tools to allow updates as rapid as Habbo.

I saw you posted something about having a front end for the asset updater I'm making, maybe if we could somehow make that work?
This project was stopped due to lack of community involvement. The source is open, however.

I’m personally out of the retro scene for good

BMX

Apr 16, 2018
Hate to jump in the old bike but I’m shocked this was shut off because I’ve seen some of your work and personally thought with the advertisement it would have been great.

A lot of people create hotels on the daily and are after a decent CMS and EMU and if done correctly this would have been the destination for that, but understandable how toxic people can be and of course you are probably busy in life playing a big factor would be understanding.

Good luck with other development though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
This development is starting back up with a goal of documentation first, development second. My goal for this approach is to have a clear mind of what I want to do, before blindly developing features and hopefully making it easier to use for third-party users (those interested in using my source for other websites).

Another name will be taken up, however the first usage of this (demo) will be Retro Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread